Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

McDonalds closes in Italy and Chinese Diabetes in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: McDonalds closes in Italy and Chinese Diabetes in New York Reply with quote

Two stories today. The good news, a McDonalds franchise in an Italian city pulled out because the locals wanted to shop at the traditional Italian bakery. Hurray.

Bad news: long story in today's New York Times about Chinese immigrant children adopting the American habit of eating: McDonalds, processed food, and they are seeing signs of diabetes in the Chinese-American population. Also, the kids are now watching too much television and not doing enough in gym class at school. Hence, obesity.

I love America, but the traditional way to buy groceries in the Italian and Chinese home lands seems to be much better than our brand of giant supermarkets. Both articles talk about the vast cultural difference in the open-air food markets in China and the traditional Italian bakery.

It's too bad too many people abandon their traditional ways for our American ways. Again, congratulations to the Italians, and let's hope for the Chinese.
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The McDonald's story is very funny. It seems the people didn't mind it in the beginning, but got ticked off by the 24hr golden arches that were put up in a historical town. The restaurant closed down a couple years ago, but the big M just recently came down, and now it's news. Here's a pretty good article about it all.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/12/news/italy.php

Another interesting story, is about the import of Coca-Cola from Mexico into the US. It seems that it tastes better with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and in glass bottles. It's primarily for the imigrant community who prefer what they grew up with. It's getting the company's knickers in a knot over regional contracts etc. Funny, 'cause it's all still Coke.

http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5212
DrMell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Bermuda recently, where they allow no fast food restaurants (except for the KFC which got in before the bill was passed). I want to live there.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm living in Edinburgh now on study abroad and the lack of fast food restaurants shocks me. Shocked me...the average college kid forced to eat wholely unhealthy food at my home school (think burger king). here, i've only seen one BK and one KFC. other than that, it's subway (maybe 3 of them) or the traditional foods and eateries. although, i've noticed kebabs are popular in these parts.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoodSciGeek, my kids would agree with you about the taste of Coca Cola - they love it here in Australia, but hated it in the US and we figured it was because of the corn syrup sweetening instead of the sugar they are used to.

Personally I can't tell the difference between any of those black drinks .... Pepsi, Coke, Pepsi Max, Diet Coke .... they're all the same to me, but the rest of my family assures me they're all different. While we were in the US the boys tried all kinds of weird and wonderful concoctions we don't get at home - CherryVanilla Dr Pepper was the strangest, I think.

Cheers!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking News - The French are getting fat too!!! I guess the diet book is way off base.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1568314/posts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: