Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Apple Pie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Apple Pie Reply with quote

I just realized there is definitely more then one nation who thinks apple pie is a national 'thing'. We Dutchies are one of them(appeltaart). Tarte Tatin comes up in my mind, apple strudel, crumble....
Who is willing to share their apple pie secret??
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is very simple: not one tiny bit more sugar than absolutely necessary.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apple pie is a very sacred thing to me, but I have no specific recipe. I make a different type of apple pie every 9-11 as my own private tribute. I never write them down, I go with an inspiration. Last year was one with vanilla and rum, my favorite.

"It's hot ham water."
anna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen to no or little sugar, rainey. also, i am very passionate about a crumb crust.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join the "as little sugar as possible" crowd. I don't really have a recipe. A lot depends on the apples available. I like tart, crisp, flavorful ones, and sometimes I combine a couple of different varieties of apples in the same pie. I usually leave the peel on, I like the more rustic look. Use more apples than you think you need -- heap them up high in the bottom crust! I sprinkle each layer of apples with a bit of sugar, a tiny bit of flour, and the best quality cinnamon I can find.

I like a double crust, no fancy latticework tops, just a vented pastry lid to keep the juices in. I am picky about my pastry. Like most American recipes, ingredients are by volume. 1 part solid fat to 3 parts flour. Using half lard and half butter for the fat makes a wonderfully flaky, flavorful crust. I know it's begging for high cholesterol, but I only make about 1 apple pie a year! Cold flour, chilled fats cut in with 2 knives or a pastry blender, and ice-water to moisten, amount depending on humidity of flour. No sugar in the pastry.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brighidsdaughter wrote:
... and sometimes I combine a couple of different varieties of apples in the same pie.

Good point, brighidsdaughter! I combine too. Some for flavor, some for texture and the mix for complexity (and "insurance" Wink). I do the same for applesauce (which we just had with fresh ham for dinner this evening). Some of my favorites are: Romes, Jonathans or Jonagolds, Macintoshes, Galas, Granny Smiths and Braeburns. Perhaps others out there have different varieties available.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romes can be tricky to pick out. Their window is so small, but they still look perfect even after they have gone mealy. Tricky apple that one, but still my fave.

"It's hot ham water."
tea leaves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things with apple pie have evolved as my cooking/baking skills have evolved the last 10 years.

1) I keep reducing the amount of sugar I put in every year, finally understanding that the apples have their own.

2) The transition from mac's to jonagold apples the last two years was quite accidental ( the only kind they were selling at Costco), but have garnered rave reviews over and above previous pies.

3) A teensy, teensy bit of butter on top of the apples before the top crust goes on. Makes the filling creamier.

That said, PBS in Boston aired 12 hours of vintage 60's and 70's Julia Child episodes on Christmas Nite. Of course I was transported to my childhood when I watched them with my father, her truest acolyte. But one of the episodes shown was the famous "tarte tatin" ! She was completely nonplussed as always and showed yet again, it's the thought and soul you put into cooking that makes you better at it!

Happy New Year everyone!
David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Julia! It is her tarte tatin recipe I use when making that devine apple confection. Had Tarte Tatin for the first time on our first trip to Paris back in 1991 in a rocking little restaurant in Montparnasse called (are you ready) Le Far Ouest, complete with a decor of hay bails and wheat sheaves and old garden implements. Anyway we liked the tarte so much i was determined to make it myself and sure enough Julia's recipe, includint the pate brise, is superb. A bit labour intensive I suppose with all the basting etc. but well well worth the effort!
rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most essential ingredient in a apple pie for me is sharp cheddar cheese. It can be grated and either in the filling or the crust OR sliced and melted on top. As a wise person once said: "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze." Words to live by, indeed.
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that was wallace of wallace and gromit who said that. i could be wrong.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: apple piers Reply with quote

the whole lot of you are just toooooooooooooooooooooo smart & clever...is there NOTHING you can't do?...no, don't answer that!

I'm a basic pie gal...

how about this from the wondrous soul, Arthur Miller..

The apple cannot be stuck back on The Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.

the apple tree of knowledge...such a fun and intriguing piece of flora...

apple hugs to all..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: