Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

French Women Don't Get Fat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myredstars

Location: Home: Charlotte, NC; Currently studying in Vitznau, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: French Women Don't Get Fat. Reply with quote

I just finished the book for the second time. I like to read books at least twice because I always seem to discover things that I have read over the first couple of times.
Has anyone else read this book? If so, what did you think? If not, why?
I am personally deeply interested in the French, their lifestyle, history and otherwise...
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: inspiring... Reply with quote

I myself bought the book last spring, just to see what it had to say, and also because after the cold winter, my pants were mighty snug. I loved the book and found it articulated all the things I had previously thought but had never been taught, and I treasured all the details about eating with ritual, savouring smaller amounts of best quality food, and most of all about not exercising excessively, but adding regular amounts of walking and daily movement. I lost at least ten pounds without noticing, and have maintained a weekly balance since, not stressing out with monthly fluctuations, and enjoying food to a greater degree, including first courses of pasta!

The recipes from the book that I have tried include: croissants, chocolate mousse, the apple oatmeal, the beet yogurt soup, the cooked pears--all excellent.

I agree with the author that balance in life is an attitude, and it must include compromise rather than guilt.

But enough about what I think! What did you think of it?
myredstars

Location: Home: Charlotte, NC; Currently studying in Vitznau, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: getting there. Reply with quote

I was deeply impressed with the articulation and details. I became truly fascinated with her perspective. I must say that I am going to take what she has to say to heart. My biggest trouble is likely the "offenders". I am learning to bake, and well, need I say more? Breaking a habit and making a new one is so much easier to say than do. I am pleased to hear your results. Thank you so much for sharing them with me. I am going to try the Champagne chicken tomorrow. It sounds delish.
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was actually quite a detailed discussion about this book in another topic... can't remember exactly which one. YOu might want to have a look and see if you can find it. Think it was a book review type thread?
Shanti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also must have missed the other discussion!

I read this book a couple of months ago just to see what all the fuss was about and I enjoyed it. I too enjoyed her perspective on eating and thought she had many valid points. I particularily enjoyed hearing that there are people in the world who enjoy food and socializing over food without obsessing about every morsal they put in their mouths! I know many cultures in the world are like this, but I just don't get to delve into their worlds like this book allowed me to do.

My only critism of the book would be I felt she got a tich preachy towards the end (about the last 2 chapters or so) and that this is really just one person's view on "how the French eat".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: