Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

doggie day care at petsmart?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: doggie day care at petsmart? Reply with quote

I was shopping for cat food and pine litter at my local Petsmart, when I suddenly noticed a glass enclosure filled with mostly pedigree dogs of all shapes and sizes. Apparently, it was a doggie day care center where the Petsmart employees babysit your dog for about $14 for half a day. By the looks of these dogs (all purebreeds), it seems that only people who were quite wealthy could afford this service. I've never seen anything like this before; it's uncannily similar to the way children day care centers look. Do you have anything like this sprouting up at your local pet shop?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yuppie friends in Toronto (lawyer and engineer couple), who used a doggie day care for their Shelties. I guess if you work long hours, and don't have a yard for your dog you can justify the expense. It's probably preferable to having a dogwalker and giving them access to your home. Now they have a child, so the list of requirements for the nanny included being willing to take care of the dogs.

I think it's a larger city thing generally. The family that boards my dog when I travel have daycare clients.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have it out here, but I noticed it more out in Seattle. By the time we moved it was getting to be fairly common place. My mom has a neighbor who actually has a babysitter come in for her dogs. Some may think that is a bit overboard, but these people can't have kids so they have dogs.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen one in Ottawa but always stop at one on Davie Street in Vancouver to watch the mutts having a good time (they have a big window facing the street.) If I had a single dog it is something I would look in to but with five, well, they entertain each other well enough!
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly! Five dogs! That's a pack! Very Happy I guess dogs are like potato chips; you can't have just one!

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to restrain myself from adding more!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could send you a badly mannered stomach on legs AKA a lab... Wink
Monica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're soon to get another pup, for a total of 2 dogs and 2 cats. He won't be coming home for a few weeks, though...

We were just talking this week about how nice it would be to quit my job, and how funny it would be to open a doggie daycare in our home. Never going to happen, of course, but my first requirement was going to be replace all the carpet with sealed hardwood. Easier to clean!

The Chicago area has many such businesses, used to be only for yuppies, but now perhaps a bit mainstream. I was checking out a vet office yesterday (thinking of switching) and they had Corona, their one doggie daycare client, romping around. He was found in cardboard beer box in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina with his 9 littermates. They all got good homes up this way...
christen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a coworker in Raleigh, NC who used the doggie day care at Petsmart. She previously would go home at lunch everyday to feed and walk Maverick, and although I forget the circumstances, she decided one day to use a day care instead. She certainly didn't have alot of extra income, but when something is important to you, I guess you just find a way to pay. It was neat though, she got little reports that told how well Maverick socialized, played, ate, etc. If anyone found the need to do this, I know my coworker would recommend it.
David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the lab Rainey!!!!!!! Love them, stomach on legs is most appropriate!

Found out one of our Lily's litter goes to doggie daycare daily here in Ottawa and loves it---Watson lives in one of the shooshier neighbourhoods in town mind you.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea. Just need the dog now...

We had a cat nanny for our furbaby girl. If we ever had to go away over night or more, the pet nanny would come and look after her. We would get a written report at the end when we arrived home and the cat was always so spoilt (more so than usual..... I know, hard to believe I would spoil a cat... Laughing ) and happy. It was fabulous, and quite a good price when you considered the price of catteries.

When we were having renovations on our townhouse in Sydney, the builder had a miniature fox terrier, and our neighbours had little dogs as well. We had an informal doggy day care at our house for a few weeks!!! It was an absolute madhouse with all these tiny dogs playing chasings and tug of war and running around chasing balls and other toys Shocked , but a lot of fun.

I really really miss having a furbaby. My husband has promised me kitties and puppies when we get another house..... Sad Seems like such a long wait though....

Enjoy hearing about everyone else's furbabies in the meantime.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,
We got Barney a year and a half ago, but before that it was like four years without a pet. I would have to visit my parents to get my dog fix. When we moved to a home with a yardthe first thing we did was go out and find our Barney. He was sitting quietly in his water dish, eyes silently pleading for us to take him home. Can you tell I am a sucker for animals? Anyway I feel your pain, I hope it isn't too much longer.

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you've got to just love that melting soulful look that they give you.

Funny thing tonight. One of the upstairs neighbours has a miniature poodle (similar to the one I had as a child) who likes to have cuddles and pats with me whenever we meet. His Mummy knocked on our door tonight and when I opened it, the puppy just walked right on in! Shocked He has never been inside our apartment before, but that didn't stop him. Only problem that I had was that the other neighbours ginger cat was asleep on our armchair at the time... could have been interesting Laughing

Another neighbour (with a black cat who also visits us) reckons we have a huge neon sign outside our apartment which says "welcome to all stray and hungry and cold kitties in the area"... Embarassed

Funniest thing is coming home when a window has been open and counting the cats asleep on our lounge and bed.... none of which belong to us! Shocked Laughing

It is nice to have little furry visitors though..
theRoadtripper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: doggie day care at petsmart? Reply with quote

harpospeaking wrote:
I've never seen anything like this before; it's uncannily similar to the way children day care centers look. Do you have anything like this sprouting up at your local pet shop?

I run a dog day care/boarding business in my city, Ottawa, and it's unbelieveable how similar it is to running a child day care service lol. It's a growing business too as kennels are opening everywhere in Canada (probably all over the world actually) and it seems and stores like Pet Smart (mostly the big corps) are getting in on the action. It's actually quite fun to look after the dogs and the money isn't horrible.

We even have a photo gallery so that when people go away they can see pics of their pooches. You don't know how many people miss their dogs so much they want to see what they're up too... I've realized many folks see their pets just like their own children (esp if they don't have children! ), it's amazing.

Some kennels even have a vidoe camera set up that you can see your dog hanging out, playing with his buddies...wow, it's kinda neat.
msue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doggie day care is pretty common here...maybe not on every corner, but you can find one in most areas of town. The one nearest us is so successful that they are moving this month to a new location in a former nursery (the plant variety). They'll have lots more room there.

At least two of my neighbors run dog-related businesses from their homes. One owns/operates a rescue/rehab business, and the other dog sits. It is a doggie world around here, a very dog friendly place.

And get this...our sweet dog was chosen to be Senior Dog of the Month at our nearby vet. We're so proud! She gets to have her photo on the bulletin board all month.

Not sure how this relates to cooking, exactly...but that is the view from this part of the world.

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: