Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food Poisoning -- mistaked Dafodills for onions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Food Poisoning -- mistaked Dafodills for onions Reply with quote

I gave my family food poisoning on New Year's Eve by picking wild "onions" from my back yard, which turned out to be dafodills. There were green shoots sprouting from the ground. My mother thought they were onions, so I pulled them and out with the greens came a nice, white "onion" bulb. So, we washed them, stuffed a few inside the turkey; cut up a few more for a fresh salad. Then waited for dinner.

Half-way through dinner, my mom stops eating and feels quesy. An hour after dinner, my father heads for the toilet and begins regurigitating. During clean up from dinner, I'm also feeling poorly. Then my mother starts regurgitating. It hit my parents very hard 'cause they hadn't been consuming liquids throughout the day. Whereas I had soda and several cups of cabbage broth before dinner. I suspect the food poison was very dillute in me. And it was 100% strong for my parents.

My father was sick for 12 hours until the next morning. He had eaten a couple of the whole dafodills from inside the turkey. I also ate a couple of whole dafodills and more from the salad.

We concluded that it must have been the dafodills since my father claims deer don't eat dafodills since they know they are poison.

My wonderful expectations of a great New-Year's-Eve dinner were never met. Instead, I made a dinner to remember.
David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you all lived to laugh about it Sarape! What a start to the new year! We don't do New Year's Dinner anymore, just a special meal New Year's Eve (magret de canard this year), on New Year's Day we ordered in our favourite Chinese pig out food! (just a thought for next year Sarape)
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have lotsa deer here in VA and lotsa daffodils too, so think they may pretty bad to eat.....glad it was pretty short-lived at least...there's nothing worse!! On a trip years ago in a small town in France, my whole family got sick from wild mushrooms (except for me 'cause i don't like mushrooms) they still talk about it.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape, your tale reads like a short story! I can imagine it as a film Smile...wonder if there are any film buffs out there? The c 'n z readership is a mixture of talents I'm sure...mine at the moment WILL BE to get to the kitchen and do the 'big clean out'....wish me luck...

Imagine daffodils growing inside you Sarape..now that's a quirky thought...being alive with such sunshine wonder...I've become a bit of a daffodil fan...last Spring our garden was covered here and there with about 10 different varieties...this particular gardener was tickled pink.
Mats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Bad stuff Reply with quote

I just googled daffodil + poisonous - wow! It is pretty bad stuff. Depending on the amount eaten they can cause everything from vomiting to death. Of all dogs who eat the bulbs, 50% die from only 15g!!

Glad to hear that all is now well.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How awful! I have been unable to eat any sort of blackened fish for three years because of the association.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Erin my dear...this is long enough...it's all in the head! get a plate of blackened fish this day and be done with it...and think, after the process of being SO DAMN BRAVE, you can pour yourself a glass or tumbler of favourite liquid and drink to the wondrous YOU!

either that, or a couple of serious sessions of therapy type stuff. My sister had an allergic reaction to red fish...took her months and months to be clear of it...ghastly ...her mouth puffed up..and nothing seemed to work.

be that as it may...give that b'ened fish a go...face that fear Evil or Very Mad

I know...get Clotilde to cook it for you...I know....get yourself over to Paris and get Clotidle to cook it for you....I know....invite c'nz to accompany you for support...I know...we'd die from all the joy....David would keep us in line perhaps....
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad stuff Reply with quote

Mats wrote:
I just googled daffodil + poisonous - wow! It is pretty bad stuff. Depending on the amount eaten they can cause everything from vomiting to death. Of all dogs who eat the bulbs, 50% die from only 15g!!

Glad to hear that all is now well.

OMG! I ate several daffodils which were the size of small onions. I also ate the green leaves. Surely this was more than 15g.

I sure had a bad taste in my mouth all evening. The sweet potatoes helped, but the thought of those daffodils around the kitchen were making me unwell. I was burping daffodil scent for the next 12 hours.

Oh, btw, this was my parent's first visit to my new home in Alabama. I have been here less than a year, and the parents were making their annual trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Marco Island Florida for the winter. So this was a big deal for me and not just a New Year's dinner.

The other bad part of this story is that now, all my daffodils from my back yard are gone.

Glad I'm alive today, however.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think hypnotherapy is the only thing that will work. I tried to order blackened red fish about a year ago and was ill at the sight. It used to be my favorite until the unpleasantness.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank! I would never PRESUME to even TRY to keep this rapturously rambunctious crowd in line! Laughing

Erin, yeah, these things can take forever. Fortunately my hangup is not as essential as yours. Back in 1978 I was on a particularly stormy crossing from Brindisi, Greece to Bari, Italy on one of those small ferries. A good portion of the passengers had been violently ill including the most doleful looking German Shepherd I had ever seen. There were "wet spots" all over the carpets. Anyway feeling quite proud that I was not that bothered by the waves I ventured down to the bar for a cappuccino. I was sitting there, calmly, when this fellow passed me a bottle of Amaretto. Don't know why but one whiff and I lost all equilibrium, and my cappuccino. Even today it only takes a single smell of that stuff and I've lost my appetite!
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin, i will make the ultimate sacrifice and meet you in new orleans so that we can get some quality blackened fish for you. might i suggest a blackened shrimp to start? of course, we would have to start the day with beignet and cafe au lait...

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
tea leaves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Danger, danger.... Reply with quote

I'd love to tell you that you can barge right through that "blackened" phobia...BUT and this is a big BUT...if you have symptons of puffy mouth, numbness etc, I hate to tell you but you will have to live with the loss of this..Probably allergic. I ate shrimp all my life till 10 years ago, and then bam. Now I can't be in a room with it... doctors think I developed something because I worked with it so much in the kitchens I worked in all these years. Reactions can be highly entertaining to others, but not if you are the victim. Wouldn't want anything to happen to a fellow blogger.
I've just exchanged my love of shrimp for really good oysters and lots of champagne! Viva la mollusk, or are they bivalves?
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey, I think that sounds like a fabulous idea! I only hope we can stop of at Pat O'Brien's for a hurricane! Maybe a little liquid courage will help me.

Thank goodness I have no food allergies, I don't know what I would do.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: