Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
villacollinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Flourless Chocolate Cake Reply with quote

This is a recipe off of a French bar of baking chocolate that has become a standard in my house, especially during Passover, when we don't eat any flour for a week. The coffee powder (I usually use instant espresso powder) gives it a really nice rich flavor and I get a ton of compliments whenever I serve it. Enjoy!

Fondant au Chocolat Corsé

200 g (7 1/4 oz) dark chocolate for baking (the bar this recipe comes on is 64% chocolate)
6 eggs -- separated
125 g (9 T) butter (+ extra for the pan)
150 g ( 2/3 c) sugar
1 T instant coffee powder for dusting the pan

1. Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F).
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, add the butter cut into small cubes.
3. Mix the egg yolks and the sugar, add the melted chocolate and butter mixture and stir.
4. Beat the egg whites until firm. Add 1/3 the whites to the chocolate mixture and stir well to lighten the batter, then add the rest and fold in gently.
5. Butter and "flour" the pan (a standard 10" springform) with the coffee powder and pour in the batter.
6. Cook approximately 20 minutes, until just set.
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Splenda Reply with quote

Villacollinette

I made this on Saturday, and it turned out really well. I hope this doesn't offend, but I made it with Splenda instead of sugar. I was trying it out so I could make it for a birthday tomorrow for a friend who is on a serious diet, and wouldn't eat cake otherwise. She made a New Years bet with some friends, their weigh in is in about a week, and there several hundred dollars on the line.

If anyone is interested in trying it in "low carb" format, I used unsweetened chocolate and 1 - 1 1/3 cup of Splenda in place of the sugar. My first batch I accidentally doubled the Splenda, and I thought it was a bit too sweet, and you can just start to taste the sweetner "flavors", so I'm going to reduce to 1 cup for tonights trial, and add some peppermint extract to add another dimension of sweetness and flavor.
Miss Piggott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very good!
I'll make it next time I have an intense desire of chocolate... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: