Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julietgb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Rome Reply with quote

Hi, I'm going to Rome next month and I'll loved to taste dolce and gelato, and if anybody knows some great and interesting place related with food that I should visit in Rome, please let my know, I'll be very happy to do as romans do and taste this typical lovable food...

Thanx
happenstance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite place in Rome to eat and wander is Trastavere. I always stay there when I visit and it is wonderful, old and very authentic part of the city IMO. Everywhere I ate there is fabulous. You can't go wrong.

Maureen in Oakland (in Paris at the moment)

Sharing her home with Rimsky the cat, Cody the partner, and 9 happy hens.

:>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Miss Piggott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rome Reply with quote

julietgb wrote:
Hi, I'm going to Rome next month and I'll loved to taste dolce and gelato, and if anybody knows some great and interesting place related with food that I should visit in Rome, please let my know, I'll be very happy to do as romans do and taste this typical lovable food...

Thanx

I lived in Rome for 7 years, and I'm about to move to Turin in a few days.
One of my favorite gelateria in Rome is the Bar Le Palme, near the Pantheon. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the name of the street...
Another famous place is Pica, along via Arenula. Just ask any local when you're around Largo Argentina and they will tell you how to reach it. It's an old bar-latteria, but the ice cream is good.
There are other good places but they're not downtown... let me know if you are interested and I will tell you! Smile
julietgb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rome Reply with quote

Thanxs for the tips, Miss Piggott. I'll look for these two gelateries.
Can you tell me what I shouldn't miss to do or eat at Rome?
I still don't know where I'm going to stay, but, I'll stay at Rome for a month, so, I'll have time to see and taste everything, ok, not everything;), at Rome uptown and downtown...

Thanxs in advance, and good luck in Turin:)
Miss Piggott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should you do in Rome?
Well, just walk and enjoy the astounding beauty of the city.
You will find its peculiar light hard to put out of your mind when you get back home...
Now that I'm in Turin, everyday I wake up and hope I will see Rome's sky...
Winter is not the best time to visit, since Rome is - surprisingly - a rainy city during the winter... but you might be lucky and have good sunny days... I do envy you!
I don't know when I'm going back there (Easter time perhaps...), so just keep your eyes open and "eat" the beauty of my favourite place to live in the whole world... (is it clear I LOVE Rome by now? Laughing )

On a food related tone, be sure to try the Gran Caffé at the Caffé Sant'Eustachio. It is near the Pantheon and Largo Argentina as well.
It's quite crowded in general, so be ready to fight to get to the cashier and then to the bar. And don't sit outside, if you can't afford to pay 6 euros or alike for a coffee (the Gran Caffé should be around 2 euros at the bar if I remember right).
Since I lived in Rome as a student I didn't go out to eat very often, but there are a few nice and cheap places I can suggest:

Ristorante L'archetto,
in via dell'Archetto 26, near Fontana di Trevi.
A good place to eat good pasta.

Akropolis
via di San Francesco a Ripa 103 (Trastevere)
An easy Greek place, open only for dinner

If you want to eat a good kebab (not the marvelous thing they sell in Paris, but quite good in the Rome scene) try in via San Martino ai Monti, near the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (Termini station area)
It's a tiny place whose name I can't remember, and you may find a guy who struggles with Italian, but it's okay.
For a full middle Eastern meal, try Shawarma station, along via Merulana a few steps before via di San Martino ai Monti, with the Basilica behind you. They have good kofta (the kebab I don't like it there, too strong flavour and killer onions).

Chinese food in via delle Quattro Fontane, just before the cinema. Close to Via Nazionale and Piazza della Repubblica. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, sorry, but you can't get wrong!

Dagnino, A Sicilian patisserie in the Galleria Esedra, near Piazza della Repubblica (also named Piazza Esedra, its former name)
You can try cannoli and cassata. It's of the Palermo school of (I prefer the Catania one) but foreigners can't tell the difference and it's a goos experience nonetheless.

Again Sicilian, Mondo Arancina, in via Marcantonio Colonna 38 (near via giulio Cesare/via Cola di Rienzo).
Wonderful rice balls with everything you can imagine inside (the classic is ragù and mozzarella) then rolled on bread crumbs and fried. A MUST.
At their left side, same owner, a good gelateria. They have cannoli as well.

Always Sicilian, if you wanna try a good granita, go to Mizzica (www.mizzica.it) in via Catanzaro 30. Catania school, you can enjoy their arancini and sweet stuff and then decide which you prefer!

A Roman trattoria, one of my favourite places to eat:
da Pallotta, piazzale di Ponte Milvio 23 (better to phone, they can be crowded on weekends... tel 06 3334245)

Hope that's enogh! Very Happy
JM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Eating in Rome Reply with quote

Hi,

We were in Rome on our honeymoon and we spent our days eating, walking around, eating, walking and then eating. We stayed in Trastevere, but we found that the eats in nearby Testaccio were outstanding. Testaccio is more of a neighbourhood where people live, as opposed to a neighbourhood where tourists visit.

Highly recommend:

Pizzeria Remo (totally fun pizza joint with excellent nosh)
Luna Piena (I made my husband go back there 2X for the bucatini alla grigia)
Tutti Frutti (outstanding, slightly more trendy take on traditional Italian food, but still excellent)

Also, if you get out to the university area, hit a restaurant called Tram Tram. I had life changing gnocchi there...
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first post since i discovered this site. I think it was destiny, chocolate and zucchini, divine combination, french origin....and a place to rant about eating and wandering in italy...
first resto that comes to mind would be Ciak, vicolo dei cinque 21....followed by Mimi e Coco....Cul de Sac and a little pizza al taglio bar with the best arancini to be found outside of Catania....
that's just a taster!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: