Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Himbeer torte
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Himbeer torte Reply with quote

DOes anyone have a recipe for this HImbeer torte (raspberry cake)?

A thin crisp base followed by a layer of moist yet rich and fluffy buttercake; the richness of which is cut through bythe sweet/tartness of a bounty of raspberries in a clear and flavourful jelly.

THis is absolutely one of my most favourite cakes from Cafe schneider's in Davos, Switzerland!!! If anyone can provide a recipe or one similar Ill jump over the moon!! I could improvise the first two layers but - dont know how to get the jelly to set on top of the cake without making it soggy... Sad I want this cake!! I can only get it when i go to switzerland once a year ... ANyone?
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarieStrawberry...gorgeous name by the way! I typed "himbeertorte"..recipes came up...IN GERMAN...do you have anyone who could translate for you...if you can wait a couple of days...I can ask a neighbour...however by then I'm sure someone will come to your aid!

A photo was on one of the pages...golly that's some torte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep checking this post....

where in Sydney?
simona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that if you'll type "raspberry cake" in english on the net, the results will come out in Shakespeare's language.
Bon appetit.
Simona
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Simona's suggestion doesn't work, alot of the time there is an "english version, click here" feature on the index page. This works well in google, but not sure if works on all search engines as well.
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: what i found so far Reply with quote

[I found a few recipes that could be translated , but the wrong ones - as they have a cream layer (which would not really keep and would in my opinion make the cake too rich !) - ALso , take a look at the google translation... funny ne!! hehe.. very literal..

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.arlafoods.de/C1256D0A00410E40/O/02E9564F5AB154E4C1256F9E00404819&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhimbeertorte%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

THis is more like the one I know... not such a good picture but u get the idea - not with all the cream etc etc..
or
(its funny because I have the same tray at home .. )

Oh and madameshawshank I'm more in Inner sydney - Hunters HIll to be exact.. Smile
MarieStrawberry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Maybe maybe.. Reply with quote

http://www.recipezaar.com/119338

THis seems to be closer - with cream though and no biscuit base .. I think Ill have to get parts of all different recipes and test it to achieve my goal ...the cake that is shown in the photos.. the path ahead looks long and torturous - (I hope i am blessed with beginner's luck!!) Rolling Eyes lets see what else google can come up with whilst i wait...
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarieStrawberry of the Hill

Have just emailed a friend in Switzerland...remembered you taste the delight IN Switzerland...maybe Simone knows of it...and might enquire for you..

fingers crossed in this oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so important matter...

raspberries

raspberry! your scent
the sweetest of Summertime
torte recipe please!
simona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to ask them for the recipe,
www.cafe-schneider.ch

good luck
simona
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah Simona...what an idea..go to the source as it were....MarieS do let us know how you get on....won't it be wonderful if people all over the world start baking this torte...
Asafoetida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, Himbeer torte, never heard of it. Laughing

but I did do some research. madameshawshank is right, all the sites i found were in german!!! I had google translate some of them for me. It doesn't make much sense but one recipe seemed to instruct you to puree the raspberries and make the jelly from that. ??? MarieStrawberry, are the raspberries in the torte you tasted whole? The images I found of a Himbeertorte seemed to have whole raspberries! Confused

Off the topic of raspberries, has anyone actually tried pouring the jelly mixture ontop of the cake? you might want to try that and see if the cake really asorbs so much of the liquid. Maybe if a clear thin layer of gelatin was poured ontop of the cake, let it set before adding the raspberry jelly the cake wouldn't be soggy. it would be interesting to try.

Hope some one else has more success at this than i am!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarieStrawberry..how I like typing that Very Happy

here's the reply from my friend in Switzerland...alas no real recipe...

did somebody already write to Konditorei Schneider in Davos? I guess a mail from Australia would carry weight.

The jelly can be bought here as Tortenguss. The english expression seems to be: clear cake glaze.

If you can not buy it, you can use jelly from berries of any kind, you know, the clear kind of marmelade you cook with sugar and berryjuice.
You cook it again with one more spoon of sugar and then coat the rasperries with it.
Or you can use 3- 5 tablespoonful of jam sugar, cook it with 2.5 dl water or berry juice and put it over the fruits.

That's what I found.

Simone

I've great confidence in this outcome....it's a bit like climbing Everest...great view at the top...hard work to get there...imagine when you're baking this cake....the photos!

it's taking some time...however we are all living in hope with this one...as any Australian will know "It won't happen overnight, but it will happen." The tag line of an ancient ad featuring Rod Stewart's ex...Rachel Hunter..and her hair...
Deborah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Oetker, which is a company from Germany which specializes in baking supplies, makes a powdered gel specifically for the purpose of tortes that you are speaking of. You just dissolve the powder in the designated amount of water and pour it on. I've purchased them in both red and clear glazes and they work very well.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: eureka!!! or heureka! as Archimedes would have shouted:-) Reply with quote

how fast can I type! MarieStrawberry are you ready for this story..it will knock your socks off...

yesterday I had an out of the blue phonecall from someone in Qld...it had been one of those "something's going to happen" days...wonderful call...full of rich energy and story sharing...

at the same time I was concentrating on your torte search...I'd rung my German mother-in-law a few days back...asking if the recipe was in a book I'd given her many many years ago...in German...no luck...

was at the computer for hours last night...much c'nzing...browsing ..going here there and everywhere as is my delight...

seems someone else was experiencing delight as well! a few minutes ago my mother-in-law rang me...we all call her Omi...grandma...it suits her...she's a darling..

After hello and hello and how are things going...I jumped in with "You've found the recipe haven't you!" Wink goosebumps all over as I type...

she was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited...here's the story...she and one of her daughters magazine share...this particular mag she had read/browsed twice....she doesn't spend much time on the food stuff...lives alone and her cake baking days are gone...except for special days......so here she is, at 11 pm (MarieStrawberry, she lives at St Marys) picking up the magazine again...something she wouldn't normally do! and starts to read the food section...and yep yep yep...there, in an Australian weekly magazine is a recipe for himbeertorte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

She told me how scrumptious it looks...told me of the spritzkuchen she used to have when she'd go back to Germany..I've just googled the cake..found a recipe...what is a prize of salt...the danger of translation! guess it's a pinch..and what might kokosfett be? translation won't give me anything other than kokosfett

the fun of any translation from anything to anything~ am quite sure my teacher of French had many a giggle reading mine!

The water with the butter and the salt in a pot to boil up leave.
The flour at one time in-pour and so for a long time under-agitate, until the paste formed itself to a Kloss and from the pot soil separates. The pot of the stove, that paste somewhat cooling let and the eggs take successively under-mix. The paste is to shine and hang in long points of the ruehrloeffel.
The paste 30 minutes at ambient temperature to rest leave.
The fat on 175 heat up. Four 8 cm broad strips butterbrotpapier by the hot fat pull.
And in each case squirt a wreath/ring of 6 cm diameters and 1 1/2 cm height on the paper fill the paste into a spraying bag with large star sleeve. The wreaths/rings with the top side downward into the fat give, the paper out pull, if the paste rings slipped.
The spraying cakes from each side in approximately 4 minutes gold-brown bake by portion, then with the schaumloeffel from the fat to lift and on absorbent paper drip off leave. The puderzucker with 2 El.
hot water and the rum mix, which let spraying cakes from a side dip into the casting and dry on a cake lattice cooling and.

MarieStrawberry I'm visiting Omi this afternoon to pick up the precious document....we'd very much love to hand deliver it..if that's ok...would you email me and we can arrange something...I'd love you to meet Omi...

I beam with joy at this story....the wonder of this blog...and the wonder of the dear Clotilde whose vision it was and is....the friendships ...the sharing of story....this is a special place for me..

hugs to you all...
Deborah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi madameshawshank!

Your translated recipe is for deep fried pate a choux. Somehow when you googled the recipe for himbeer torte the wrong recipe got translated.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deborah....ah...I should take more care with my posts..

This afternoon I'll be visiting my mother in law ...to pick up the recipe from the magazine....she spoke of her love of spitzkuchen...that I googled...and found the translation funny...as most are..

my daughter would be nodding her head ...and shaking her head....That's my mum! here there and everywhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: