Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Doncaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Doncaster Reply with quote

Have any of you ever been to Doncaster England? It looks like we may be staying a night or two there and have no clue about the area. Does anyone know how far it is from there to Nottingham?

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I don't know if this helps you at all but its the Official website for the city and tourism. I didn't explore it really, but there's a calendar of events and tabs for "places to go," etc. Hope it helps! Smile http://www.visitdoncaster.co.uk/Tourism/index.asp
http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Leisure_in_Doncaster/Leisure_in_Doncaster.asp
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin Darling...seems it's 47.7 miles Wink

http://www.mapquest.co.uk/mq/directions/directions.do
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the ice rink! Thanks you two!

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my (very) long trip on the GNRE railroad this week, Doncaster is a mere 25 minute train ride from York. So i'm thinking its 47 km, and not miles, b/c i KNOW that train doesn't go that fast. Shocked
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! devil's in the detail....thanks for that W!
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even notice! I would have been happily humming along thinking about how fast and effecient the British rail system is.

"It's hot ham water."
Vickie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

Doncaster is not generally known for its outstanding beauty Wink , although I'm sure there will be interesting things to see in the surrounding areas. If you're there for a couple of days I would be so tempted to travel the 47.7 miles Laughing to York, which is an amazing city with one of the most incredible cathedrals you will ever see in your life. It's an ancient walled city dating back to the Vikings (there's a cool museum where they've recreated a Viking town, smells and all!), gardens, castles, the Shambles (a maze of winding narrow alleys filled with antique shops, bookshops and the like). It's a stuynning city which I love and if you're going to be nearby it would be a waste not to go.

Here's the city website.

http://www.visityork.org

Oh, and no visit to York is complete without a visit to Betty's Cafe and Tearooms. Trust me on this....

www.bettys.co.uk
Woodstocker - I so feel your pain. I hate GNER with a passion. Does this mean you've had your London trip?[/url]
ElegantSniff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Vickie"]
Oh, and no visit to York is complete without a visit to Betty's Cafe and Tearooms. Trust me on this....

You MUST go to Betty's Laughing It's definately an experience!

Also, picking up on another thread about your UK visit, make sure you try black pudding when you're in the north of the country -- southerners have no idea about black pudding at all -- trust me, I'm a northerner Wink

The very best are from a place called Bury in Lancashire (pronounced 'berry'). If they are from Bury, they will often be advertised as such, as they are ackowledged to be the best!
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only going to be in Doncaster overnight, but maybe I can persuade our friedns in Ruddington to take a trip to York. This Betty's sounds like somewhere I should visit.

Elegantsniff, Where are you from?

"It's hot ham water."
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

York is definately a good place to visit. You can buy a book on the snickleways and go exploring and find all these fabulous little tea rooms tucked away, or just really interesting buildings to look at.

Yorvik is great. Being in history/heritage and archeaology I found it to be very well done and I really liked the way they had preserved the original site and also left a demonstration lab set up so you can see what the work entails. But yes, the smells can be a bit overwhelming if you have a delicate sense of smell and/or stomach... Laughing

There are quite a few good tea rooms in York and the head of the Taylors of Harrogate Tea Company is nearby. One of my favourite teas. I can highly recommend their Taylor's Tearoom blend, Kwazulu, and Royal Blend, but all of them are really worth trying.....

In York they have walking tours which leave from opposite the tourist information centre and show you the town. From memory there are different tours that you can choose from. There is also ghost tours, but I can't say much about them as I didn't have the time to go on one.

A pub in the middle of one of the main town squares has a Roman Bath underneath it. Think the pub was called something like "the Roman Bath" - it was a name which was really obvious. You sit in there having a pub meal and looking down into the baths. Really interesting.

Nottingham is also interesting and you can still walk in Sherwood Forest - although it is a much reduced version to when Robin and his gang hid out there. Last time I was there the major oak (the oak tree that Robin Hood and his men apparently lived in/under/around) was still alive, although propped up to help the trunk support the weight of the many heavy branches. Very picturesque when we went as there were no leaves on the trees and you had a really sculptural image to photograph.

There was also a really nice market in the centre of Nottingham which I had a lot of fun browsing in. Can't remember exactly where now though as it is a few years ago. Sorry.
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Debbie! It is funny to read about Robin Hood etc., as for most of my life I thought he was fiction. I would imagine that was a very interesting thing to see. Oh you're getting me again with your Aussie speech, what in the world is a snickleway? I'm thinking maybe it means little tucked away places?

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: