Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

MFK Fisher : which of her books should I start with?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: MFK Fisher : which of her books should I start with? Reply with quote

My first MFK Fisher experience was "With A Bold Knife and Fork" in the early '80's. It created such an impression on me I wrote to the author to tell her how much I enjoyed her writing. To my great delight she replied to my letter and sent me an autographed copy of the new release of her book The Art of Eating". In the following years we corresponded with each other and I arranged to visit her in Sonoma in 1991. Unfortunately she died a couple of months before my planned trip. "Two Towns in Provence" is another great book of hers. She remains one of my favourite food authors. Another favourite you might enjoy is Nigel Slater.
Magala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me second Sandye's recommendation. Get "The Art of Eating" and just skip around to the books you're in the mood for. Good quality copies of it can be had very cheaply on eBay.

So far I have most enjoyed "The Gastronomical Me" and "Consider the Oyster." But my goodness, it takes a while to read all five books!
sandye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: the art of eating Reply with quote

Clotilde,

Magala is right! The Art of Eating has so much in one volume that it's a lot of fun to read at random. There's even a whole chapter about Lucullus!!

Cool

sandye
Sharonch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best English bookstore in Paris is in the 5th - called San Francisco Books. They usually have a ton of Hemingway books there.
Juliana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a treat in store for you, not simply because MFK's descriptions of food are so rich and gorgeous, but because she is an inordinately masterful prose stylist. The first time I looked for a book of hers, I found it in the "Belles Lettres" section of the store rather than in cooking, which I thought was quite appropriate.

I agree with the general consensus here, which is that you read The Art of Eating and begin to pick and choose among her works. If you become desirous of knowing more about her, and filling in some of the gaps, her journals were published a few years ago and also make fascinating reading!

salut,

Julie
wasabi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: MFK Fisher : which of her books should I start with? Reply with quote

The Art of Eating is a great collection of some of her works. Gastronomical Me is a beautiful work and Serve It Forth is beautiful and a little haunting...
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: MFK Fisher Reply with quote

My favorites are "Long ago in France"where I discovered she and I both tasted our truite bleu in the same moulkin in Burgundy.
I like "Two Towns in Provence"and "The Boss Dog"and "A Cordial water"Long ago I first ate at the beautifulLe Train Bleu because of her.
After recently reading a new biography about her"Poet of the Appetites"I found her out of print, "Cooking in provincial France"that Julia Childs has something to say about it in this wonderful bio, warts and all. She really wasn't a great cook but could write about it in the style of an American Colette. After reading about how she caused her family to be ill because she stuffed the turkey or goose with the oysters the night before, My suspicians are correct.
Amoung chefs she is mostly respected for her translation of "The Physiology of Taste"by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Ago in France is a short but delightful MFK Fisher read, Clotilde. Plus, it has a number of interesting insights into daily French life in the 20s and 30s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: