Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Eating: What do you do while you eat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered about what other people do while eating. I almost always eat breakfast in front of the computer reading email or catching up on various news sources and websites. The rest of the household is asleep at that hour, unless the dog wakes up and waits for my empty yogurt container.

Workday lunches are at my desk, unfortunately, usually as I am working hard to finish up the morning tasks. If you knew how much work had to be produced in such a short time, you would understand why I would choose such a barbaric way to have a meal. It has been a wonderful means for me to close my office door, get work finished, and relax a bit before the afternoon onslaught begins.

Evening meals are either at the table, where we try to be civilized, or in front of the tv (if a favorite show is on).

In thinking about this question, I have realized that we do not do enough meals properly. I don't mind sacrificing the lunch hour on work days, but perhaps we should take a more deliberate approach to the evening meal. Sharing dinner at the table more frequently would be pretty nice.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all depends here...weekends might be brunch...shared around the table...breakfast is at any time...except our daughter...leaves early..lunch today was with the needlework dames...dinner? usually at the table...however every so often it might be eaten while watching a programme on tv...not all that often...when it cools down..and the flies go elsewhere we eat outside...I love that cooldown time...

the Claudia Roden book "Everything Tastes Better Outdoors" ~ one of the first sort of non-traditional cookbooks I can remember picking up..from the local library...it seemed soooooooooooo exotic to me...
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to pay attention to the way my meals are eaten when I got married more than a year ago. One of my greatest pleasures is sharing a tasty and comforting or surprising meal sitting across from my husband. I insist on having a nicely set table and a relatively tidy kitchen! One of the things I can't stand is listening to music while eating--call me an oddball, but I find it distracts me from taking pleasure in the meal and our conversation or seasoned silence. I really enjoy having half a glass of wine with lunch or dinner--and it seems to have become a necessity now...

I have just taken a job which requires me to eat lunch by myself out of <<horror>> plastic containers-- which I hate somehow. Sitting in a downtown food court surrounded by suits and people with takeout containers, trying to summon up memories of eating long meals outside on my husband's grandfather's farm in Sicily, cold and longing to be at home in my red and white checkered apron, cooking up a storm and waiting for Antonio to get home..... sigh

Breakfast: among my favorite meals of the day! Even when I eat a solitary breakfast, I put my cheerful red flower place mats down with our red cloth napkins and set out the butter dish and silverware. Reading at breakfast is a (guilty) pleasure somehow, but I like to be reading something dreamy like a cookbook with colour photos, or a travel book or novel--nothing like the hard news section of a newspaper or anything. And on weekend days, especially Sundays when neither of us have to rush off anywhere--I make lots of coffee, cut up some fruit, set out the butter and marmalade and toast some good (and occasionally homemade) bread for us to linger over in our pj's. My blog is frequently a testament to our Sunday breakfasts!

On meals and TV: I generally hate eating with the tv on--there is usually nothing on that is worth watching anyhow (except to Antonio who can't miss his Inter games). The one exception to this is when you make a ritual out of it--we started a ritual out of having a 'deep fry night' on Saturdays when "C'e posta per te" is on RAI, and we fry up some potato and ricotta croquettes and some panelle (Sicilian chickpea fritters) which we have with lots of sea salt, lemon and cold beer. I have posted these recipes on my blog as well, being as they are so delicious and easy.

I have enjoyed very much reading about other people's eating rituals, and look forward to reading more!
BookGirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the only one I knew to grow up in a house where dinner was sacred-- no phone answering, nice manners, cloth napkins and good conversation-- so I love to see here that it wasn't that strange!

Now that I live alone, I usually find myself eating in front of the tv, but if there is anyone else eating with me, the tv goes off and I try to have a "real meal," which is so comforting!

Even in college, where I lived in a sorority house, I was treated to nice dinners nightly, as all the girls in the house would sit and eat together. It's such a nice change from my breakfast at my desk and my lunch taken either on the run or at a quick restaurant! Though eating a family dinner is my favorite, I have to say I am learning to appreciate eating my dinners alone witha good book on the very small back porch that is attached to my apartment.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For breakfasts, my darling husband makes breakfast every morning and Mon-Fri packs it in a takeway container. I then consume it at my desk, reading e-mail. I am just not hungry before 9:00 AM, so it works for me. Weekend he often makes a brunch and I chip in and bake scones or muffuns or biscuits. We sit companionably at the table with the Sunday paper (always fighting over the comics!). Laughing

I usually eat lunch in my office at school - no students, blissfully quiet - writing reports, checking out C&Z or sometimes doing crossword puzzles. Weekends, I tend to graze and not have a proper lunch. My husband's family always had lunch together on weekends and it took YEARS for him to adjust to making his own lunch.

We almost always sit down to a proper dinner. It's the one time of day guaranteed for together time. Even if it's take-out, we sit with the china, silver and cloth napkins and eat and talk about the day. We eat in fromt of the television aboout 2 times a year. If I'm on my own, I usually read at the table, but I always sit down. I consider it a little gift to myself. Actually anytime we eat together it's a gift!
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm either listening to my stereo, classical or opera, and reading a book, or watching a film on DVD or VHS. I live and eat alone. I also eat slow, so it takes a few hours a night.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristinamadonia,

C'e posta per te! I am sure the hostess of that show is related to Brini Maxwell! http://www.brinimaxwell.com/
We always watch C'e Posta when we are in Italy, and tho my husband can't understand any of it, he just loves it.

In the summer we eat outside on our back porch every chance we get watching the birds and the sunset and later the small nocturnal critters in the yard. But we live in Wisconsin so that is short lived.
In the winter we too often eat in front of the TV when I get home tired after work, but we try to make up for it on the weekends when we have martinis and have food delivered and eat at the cocktail table by the fire.

When we have guests, it is always at the table, with linens, proper settings
and the good stemware. Then we try to act all shocked when the cats invariably jump on the table and knock everything over!
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarape!

Long time no see! Are you enjoying your retirement so far? I figured you were either off on a jaunt or so busy with leisure time activities that you had no time for C&Z!

I also love classical music during dinner ! Chamber music especially.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to laugh about the "look shocked when the cats jump on teh table" comment Victoria LH. A few months back we babysat a friends cat while they went away for a week. Each night we would sit at the table to eat dinner... with everything stacked in the middle of the table so the cat couldn't reach it from "her" chair.... so funny. When all her tactics failed she would then jump on my husbands shoulders and try to swipe his food off his fork before he got it to his mouth. Very gently done and no claws or aggression at all, but so so funny.

I find that lately I am eating breakfast while doing my emails and skyping to family and friends in Australia. My version of eating a meal with my family. Lunch can be in any form depending on the day and what I am up to. Dinner I would love to have eaten properly every night... but, sigh, it doesn't always work like that. My husband loves to eat dinner on the lounge while watching tv. I like to do that when he is away. One thing I have noticed is that our eating habits and what we do while we eat has changed radically since we arrived in France. It is going to be interesting to go back to Australia later in the year ...
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
I also eat slow, so it takes a few hours a night.

Sarape, how do you manage to keep your meal hot for that long? Dinner is the one meal that i adore piping hot, even if i eat the leftovers straight from the fridge in the morning. yes, i have probably eaten just about everything ice cold, only thing i really don't like cold is rice b/c it gets hard. Laughing And well, there probably wouldn't be much left if i wanted seconds, knowing my family.

reminds me of my old room mate- her dad is from a big Filipino family where they always ate communally, first come-first served. the kids had to learn to be very quick gulping down their dinner or they would only get a couple of bites!
eileen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello again, everyone,
an interesting concept, how we eat.
for me, if i am alone or not, plays a b-i-g role; also, culturally and sign-of-the times comes into it....
on a 'normal' night my hubbie & i eat at the table but, as i have a new laptop which lives in the vicinity, plus any mail, our eyes seem to wander to the side, and we are fighting against this tendency....
none of his family have a table at which they eat...except for very special occasions. my family always ate at table without telly or other...
my grown-up daughter and husband eat on laptrays in front of telly.
by myself, as much as i love cooking and fresh food, i can't be bothered and lapse into the worst possible combinations.....my standing joke was that friday nights my best date was ben-and-jerry and ernest-and-julio gallo combined with whatever t.v. hunk (j.r. for those of you who remember) was on - and apologies for this americanized slant of eating alone!
doughgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubby takes charge of our 4 year old for breakfast and they dine together while I get a few more winks of sleep, then I typically eat with the baby in my lap.

At lunchtime I feed the girls first and sit with them at the table (we're working on manners with our 4 yr old), but I don't usually eat until they've gone for their nap/rest. I like to read during lunch or sometimes even like to eat lunch while online. Embarassed Hubby doesn't usually come home for lunch, but when he does we like to both sit down together at the table (both if us reading Very Happy )

Dinner can be kind of a trial with 2 kiddos under the age of 4, but we do sit down together as a family with a set table, no TV, and when the weather is nice we like to eat outside on the deck.

We have food allergies in the family so I do cook from scratch at least twice a day to cut down on processed foods, however, breakfast is usually fruit, oatmeal/malt-o-meal and toast so I don't really count that as cooking. Laughing
kitchensqueen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually sit at the table for dinner, but honestly, the tv is usually on in the background. Trying to break that habit though.
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been reading while eating. When mum was alive, meals were about discussions, politics and philosophy. But I occasionally I eat while watching tv... I admit it!
rhetangle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my partner and I got together we started off as I guess all couples do, with meals at a table and candles and lots of effort. After a bit of time, the candles didn't appear and I thought NO! After making a lovely meal, let's make it an event! So TV is a no no, music in the background is a yes yes, candles unless it is so light outside it's a bit absurd and it's a long experience with lots of chat.

Of course in our first year together we both put on a stone each Sad Trying to undo that whilst wanting to still cook lovely meals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: