Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What did your mother feed you when you were sick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken ramen noodles, tea with sugar (sometimes milk, depending on the symptoms). ginger ale/sprite too. the requisit saltine crackers. except for the time when i was 8 and the docs had no clue what i had. couldn't even keep down water that time. and btw, THAT is not a good way to diet.
Embla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. My mother didn't have enough sympathy to make me anything special. Crying or Very sad Hehe. But that might be because I never did get really sick and the one time I did, I stayed in bed and slept (my cure-all) and only crawled out when everyone had left to have an orange or two.

She did make this awful lemon water when we had sore throats, though...
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embla, you are my envy. i was the bi-polar child in that respect, either perfectly healthy or deathly ill. hospital once for 5 days (jaw infection Shocked ), lots of ear infections/strep throat. my mom is still horrified at the memory of the doc saying i had "a blister on her ear drum." i could never figure out if that's even possible.(?) ahh well, minor fever to me is 100-101F. high is 105+, and don't get me started on the time the nurse thought the thermometer was broken cuz the temp was too high for her liking.
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool orange juice and hot water with lemon and honey, which I still like if it's not too honey-y. And for any kind of stomach sickness our family remedy is wormwood tea -- which is sooo bitter, but it always helped. At least I had to take just one sip -- luckily followed by a piece of chocolate Smile
queenla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hated being sick when i was a kid. my mum worked and in those days working women with children had to pretend that they didnt have children so i always had to look after myself. Mum racked by guilt would buy me chips and chocolate and leave them hidden in paper bags with different times on them. then she would ring me through the day and tell me where they were. I would put the phone down and pretend to look for them because i had always found them all by five past nine AM. If i was really sick she would do the two hour night drive dash to my grandmothers and i would be pampered with freshly baked white bread with butter and local honey- i have never been able to replicate the combination. But the real deal is grannies recipe for sore throats- the old vinegar, honey, lemon juice- you can't beat it. I have made it time and time again- it never fails.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was Campbell's chicken noodle soup, jello, and ginger ale (all of which I prefer not to eat to this day). Better was dry whole wheat toast and a hot toddy of Jameson Irish whiskey, fresh lemon & honey. When I felt like eating, there was the joy of tinned pear halves with a dab of mayonnaise and a few shreds of sharp cheddar. Oddly enough, there were also Ritz crackers with bologna slices & tinned tomato soup.

Since our grandmothers were good friends, my doctor has instructed me to drop by his mother's house for a bit of whiskey when I was sick & didn't have any on hand (we live in a 'dry' -- no liquor stores -- county). His mom would always ask me if I needed any tomato soup or crackers and cheddar. LOL!
BookGirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a pretty sickly little girl-- a month-long bout of pneumonia at age 7 took me almost a year to fully get over. And during that time, my mom never made me the traditional jewish mom chicken soup-- we were definitely more of the cheesy foods type of family.

I had loads of kraft mac & cheese, cheese toast and cheese grits. And, of course, Campbell's tomato soup, which we lovingly referred to simply as, "red soup." And lots and lots of cranberry juice, I think on the recommendation of the doctor. And if she had to leave the house for any reason at all, she would set up the nightstand in her bedroom, where I would of course be "recovering," with a big glass of juice, lots of saltines and big brach's jelly beans as a little treat.

Now that I have returned to my hometown after college, my mom still makes me those foods when I am feeling under the weather (or just down in the dumps.)
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brighidsdaughter wrote:
For me, it was Campbell's chicken noodle soup, jello, and ginger ale

we must be related...although, i quite fancy a good gingerale from time to time.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
msue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once my grandmother (who cared for us when we were sick because my mother taught school) made me mashed potatoes with brown gravy, plus a side of red jello. That is a magic cure-all for me, even my husband knows to get that combo when I'm ailing.
doughgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother was a nurse so she was pretty good about making us feel all cozy and better when we were sick...and I tended to be a bit of a sickly child with chronic lung problems. We always got the standard Ginger Ale & 7 Up, jello with fruit cocktail mixed in, hot sugary tea with cinnamon sugar toast, hot lemonade (hot water, fresh lemon juice and honey), mashed potatoes and creamed corn (mixed together for me...yumm), tomato soup with grilled cheese triangles, butterscotch pudding..... all sorts of good home-y comfort food.

I do remember one bout of pneumonia when I was 4, that eventually landed me in the hospital, where she let me eat homemade cream puffs and scrambled eggs for 3 days straight. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: