Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chocolate Brownie recipe request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Chocolate Brownie recipe request Reply with quote

Dear friends,

I have just made a batch of chocolate brownies from .... ahem .... a packet Embarassed and thought I'd ask my learned friends for their favourite recipes and also and tips and tricks for making the 'perfect' brownie.

Thanks in advance, Judy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,
I use the recipe from the Barefoot Contessa , she is a lady who really understands chocolate.

"It's hot ham water."
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 favorite recipes are from Nick Malgieri's Cookie Book, espresso brownies and pecan brownies. The espresso brownies are a perfect dense, fudgy brownie with just a hint of espresso flavor. The pecan brownies are still fudgy, but are a bit cakier around the edges and they get that cool crackled top. The book itself is my favorite cookie baking book, hands down, it gets used alot around the holidays. And incidentally, his recipes are very very easy to follow... a nice bonus. Smile
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite brownie recipe is "Brownies Cockaigne" from _The Joy of Cooking_. I prefer a moist, fudgey texture rather than cakey. Two keys to brownie success are the quality of chocolate, and not overcooking. To improve boxed mix, add a couple tablespoonsful of white corn syrup to the batter. It changes the texture & makes the brownies much more moist and fudgey.
anna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: brownies! Reply with quote

we use a really nice recipe from a cookbook we got for free a log time ago devoted entirley to cookies. here it is!

Just Brownies

1/2 C butter
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

COmbine butter and chocolate in medium saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat.

Stir in sugar using a wooden spoon to mix well. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla,; mix well. Stir in flour, mix well agan.

spread buter in a greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree over exactly 25 min. DO not overbake, brownies should be fudgey.

For fudge frosting (VERY key, in my opinion)

In a small saucepan over very low heat combine 1/2 of 1 ounce square unsweetened baking chocolate, one tablespoon butter and two tablespoons milk. stir until melted, then beat in 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar. frost brownies, eat brownies, swoon!

a note: i also find (actually maybe i should give my partner credit for this, as he's the one that first pointed it out) that it's really important not to overstir brownies, or else they will end up with a texture akin to foam rubber. try and limit your self to five strokes, eight if you must. no more than ten, grasshopper.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and for the recipe Anna. It looks like what I wanted and I'll give it a try soon. Even though the last batch were from a packet, they were eaten with great enjoyment.

Anna, just one question about your recipe - what is a 'square' of chocolate? Can you give me an equivalent measure in weight please? Even though Australia has used the metric syetem for about 30 years, I still use my grandmother's old Salter scales, which measure good old pounds and ounces, so I'm still able to convert from metric to imperial and back again.

Thanks again

Judy
anna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,

In the US a square of chocolate is equal to one ounce. Good luck and tell me how the brownies turn out.

Anna
LibbyR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Favourite is this one - I have adjusted the quantities of flour and ground almonds, as I prefer a more nutty flavour. Also, the texture will vary according to how finely the almonds are ground.

QUEEN OF SHEBA BROWNIES

3 eggs
125g unsalted butter
125g chocolate
110g sugar
90g ground almonds
20g flour

Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
Stir in butter and sugar.
Off the heat, add in the eggs and then almonds and flour.
Bake in a 20cm square pan @ 170C for 15-20 minutes.
Do not overcook - they are best when left fudgy in the middle.
Enjoy!
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Nigella Lawson's brownies Reply with quote

To my amazement, any dessert recipe that I take from nigella works out perfectly. I can do this brownie in 10 minutes with my eyes closed because I've done it so often (my friends called them orgasms in a bite).
Sorry I've only got european measuring.

Melt 190g dark chocolate and 200g butter in the micro wave for 2 minutes. Let rest a while then stir it together.
Meanwhile, energically mix 180g sugar with 3 eggs until it's pale yellow and foamy.
Add the chocolate to the sugar egg mixture and stir, stir stir until it's dark brown.
Now you can add nuts, almonts, pinenuts, walnuts, crispy cereal, grated coconut (my fave) or...nothing (purist, eh?)
Then carefully add 90g flour in little spoonfuls, stirring in between.
Put the paste in a square mould and in the oven (180°) for 15 to 17 minutes.
Let it rest for at least half and hour then if you can't wait, taste. However, these are way better completely cooled down, after 24h in the refrigerator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: