Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Anyone in the mood for Chinese?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Anyone in the mood for Chinese? Reply with quote

How about some

There's more at: http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order.php
WARNING: Do NOT open this link while you are drinking liquids.
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigod Rainey! Where do you find them!!?? My favourite comment---"Cowboy leg, beautiful pole--sounds like a Brokeback Mountain synopsis."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one came from BoingBoing.com which is a wonderful site of all kinds of things that effect modern culture. Sometimes they come from SlashFood.com which is also interesting and focused on food whether recipes or trends in restaurants and tastes. Many, of course, come from Sneeze.com.

I really need a laugh or a chortle every day and I pass 'em along if I think they'd be of general interest. I see this one didn't get much reaction. Politically incorrect? I didn't mean to be (after all, their English is greatly superior to my Chinese...). I just enjoy a laugh and some of those entries are as hysterical as others are mysterious. Wink
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... would you eat here???

Not politically incorrect at all. As you said Rainey, their English is better than our Chinese! Imagine if I tried to write in Chinese characters..... it would probably turn out to be something so obscene it would be ridiculas!

Just a good bit of humour. Some of the dishes really have you laughing, others leave you a bit concerned Shocked
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- I just read your note more carefully and slipped out of my chair laughing! ...if you can conger up what it's like to be on hold with Verizon (a wireless carrier) for half the morning for the 9th or 12th time in 2 weeks you'll know how you made my day! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You are a treasure!
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is wonderful...my fav is the "man fruit" ?????
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the result of an automated translation service. No human could do this, but machines, well, they at least have a sense of humor. If you don't believe it, try calling ANY customer service number. You will be connected to a machine with a sense of humor. You might not find it funny, but imagine how the machine feels when it can make you do all of these tasks and then disconnnects you.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB- I guess translation software could account for a lot of these awkward entries.

There was once a Chinese restaurant in the Los Angeles area where they decided to forego the risk of translation. It was called The Poo Ping Palace. Sometimes you just can't win... Shocked

Had to add that there's a cosmetic dentist who practices just outside LA whose name is Dr. Fang. Unfortunate but true.

My own kids had to grow up with the name Beers. They heard a lot of stoopid jokes about it when they were young. My oldest was a shy, fragile kid for whom it was an awful burden. It isn't the reason I insisted on retaining my totally boring Smith but she envied it most painfully. For my part (and when she was much older), I often threatened to have a T-shirt made with Steve's and all their photos and the line "Still crazy after all these Beers".
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it Rainey, do it!!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- Your new sig touches my heart. ::smooches::
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David...How are y'all doin???? Been thinkin of u guys
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rainey and Melinda for your thoughts. Not much has changed I'm afraid although he was able to keep the trach out which is very nice. The stoma however isn't closing of it's own accord so may require some stitching in the future. Dick will be moving to another facility with a longer term rehab programme in the next couple of weeks. He'll be there for 3-6 months, then maybe back to the rehab unit at the hospital where he is currently. I will be putting the house on the market soon and am quite overwhelmed by that prospect but we have to downsize and we need the extra money. He can get around in his motorized wheelchair fairly well but cannot make fine hand movements or anything. Emotionally it is of course still a roller coaster. We both stubbornly pretend we still believe he will get better but that is getting harder and harder to do as well. So I guess you could say we are in a holding pattern! Wish I had better news.

It is a lovely sig isn't it Rainey, and so very very true!
Melly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
My own kids had to grow up with the name Beers.

Rainey,
They should have just added a "de" and pretended to be part of the diamond group. Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melly- My husband actually had occasion to meet one of the deBeers. They were staying at the same hotel and noted one another's names when they were visiting the Concierge. They guessed there might once have been a connection. (We don't know a whole lot of Steve's geneology but there seem to be Irish and Dutch roots in the family tree.)

So, it made for some nice conversation. But Mr. deBeers didn't invite Mr. Beers to pursue it anymore. Alas! Crying or Very sad But then I admire gems more in the mineral exhibit at the Natural History Museum. And (political animal that I am and can't escape being) I'm happy not to have a part in diamond mining. ...tho (if forced to ) I'd take one of the Canadian Arctic diamonds and amuse myself spending a good bit of time loupe to eye admiring the little polar bear. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: