Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: A PARIS MUSEUM TIP Reply with quote

Get a 1-day museum card (preferably on Wednesdays when the Louvre is open till 9:30 I think...). The card will put you at the head of every line or help you to bypass it at the Louvre. Start at the D'Orsay, the most crowded one IMO. Then get to the Musee Jacquemart just before 12 & have lunch in their wonderful tea room-no reservations taken. That museum is a dream. And don't miss the Louvre, just go later in the evening when most of the crowds have left on Weds. And know before hand exactly what you want to see. Then go there directly-I would check out their website. Or if you have a favorite artist, go to http://www.artcyclopedia.com & click on the Louvre link of that artist & you'll see exactly which room/wing etc the ptg/sculpture resides in..very handy. There's a terrific kitchen/home shop just by the main floor Louvre cafeteria called "Resonances" that may carry APILCO china...I'm looking for it too-but I bet Gal Laffeyette(sp) has it. A super day trip out of town is Chateau de Vaux Le Vicomte. Depending on the time of year, on Saturdays they have candle-lit dinners outdoors but it's a spectcular experience whenever & a well kept secret. The kitchen is AMAZING-Vatel was the famous resident chef & the gardens were by Le Notre..take a look http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/ For traditional French china there's an adorable shop in 35-37,Passage Jouffroy called Comptoir-de-Famille in the 9th. Also don't miss the yummy La Boutique at Cafe de Flore 26, rue Saint-Benoit but check their hours. La Vaissellerie(sp) is a neat chain with a tiny shop across from Metro St. Paul in the Marais-fun things & reasonable. http://www.lavaissellerie.fr/ That's it for now...feeling very envious & can't wait till May when I get to go. Have fun Smile
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: paris Reply with quote

As others have mentioned, Musee d'Orsay is easy to see in one visit if you only go to one museum, but many of the other small museums and even portions of the Louvre are worth a visit. You cannot of course see all the Louvre in one go, but it is worth a look if you have a museum pass. I always get one for a few days but really like museums. The first time at the Louvre I did try to see too much of it and ended up not going back for a while. But now, I'm smarter by going in through the side entrance and planning a trip to see something specific. I make a rule to never stay more than 2 hours at a time. I also like the design museum and fashion museum on the rue de rivoli side. For all museums, be sure to check the hours and days open. Also keep in mind that they will start sweeping you out about 15 minutes or so before the museum closes.

Le Jardin de Luxembourg is one of my favorite places but I'm not sure how it will look in February. Besides the great plantings at the Luxembourg, I've often stumbled upon free concerts with people in funny hats and a little boy dancing with an umbrella, great art and photograpy exhibits, good people watching, and lots more. Every time, there is a wonderful surprise. If you like gardens, there are many others too...Buttes Chaumont, Jardin de Plantes, Tuilleries, Park Monceau and many others.

I disagree about the concerts in churches. I've been to a concert in Sainte Chapelle many times and the music was always good and the setting superb. I haven't been to concerts in any of the other churches.

If you like shoes, Rue de Cherche Midi is a good place to shop. I prefer the smaller stores to the big ones. I always say Bon Jour when I walk in and ask if I'm interested in seeing something as I've heard it's rude to paw through the merchandise (this applies to fruit stands too). The French in shops are very helpful and will tell you what looks good (or not) but politely. You can describe exactly what you're looking for and they'll find it if they have it.

But my favorite part of Paris is just being there...walking around the streets and maybe getting lost (I recommend a good street-by-street map), sitting in cafes (avoid those with English menus and near major tourist attractions), and just looking around at all the amazing sights.

Elizabeth
simona

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I'll probably be in Paris second half of January, and will stay in a central Citadines Appartment Hotel . I love to have an appartment in Paris, even if its only for a week, I reminds me of my student days.Iin the morning I buy the croissant/baguette, have my cofffe, then at about 2 p.m. I buy "Le monde" and I feel like living a little bit in PAris.
Though I really know Paris very well, I found lots and lots of interesting tips on the various posts on this subject/ Erin, I thik you are going to be in Paris after I return, I promise to inform you if I find something new interesting.
Still, I would like reccommendations for a good chinese/thay/vietnamese restaurant in Paris' Chinatown. It's a part of the ciry I intend to explore more in depht this time. Thanks.

Simona
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Musee de Musique Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the fabulous music museum. It's a bit on the outskirts but truly wonderful. There are 4 floors of musical instruments from the very old to Louis Armstrong. You are outfitted in headphones with your own language. As you walk through the exhibit, music and a commentary automaticaly comes on as you get near a specific instrument. I'd allow at least 2.5 to 3 hours. I had to come back twice as I arrived towards the end of the day. The employees were very friendly and many asked me how I liked the museum.
carolg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Simona's Citadines Apartment Hotel Reply with quote

Simona, your mention of the Citadines Apartment Hotel sounded like an interesting option, but at 190 Eruos a night for a studio(or about 1400 a week). I was wondering what the advantages are compared to so many other short term rentals in Paris & at that price quite posh...? Admittedly the location is great http://www.hotelxtranet.co.uk/fasttxt/allhotels/Citadines/Hotel_Details_Citadines_Apartment_Hotel,_Paris.asp
Maybe I'm getting off topic...
Filipe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Erin

I am going to Paris in two weeks and, although it's not my first (nor 2nd, nor 3rd..) time there, I've decided to make a different planning this time. Focused on food (mainly pastries) but not only on that. So, I've bought three books that gave me a different background of the place. Those are my advice to you :

Stephen Clarke's "A Year In The Merde"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582345910/qid=1140099476/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-4212042-0411001?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

and "Merde Actually" (just read this one if you've enjoyed the first one, i think they're quite funny)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0593054776/qid=1140099631/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/026-7084387-9938020

and also
Edmund White's "The Flaneur"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582341354/sr=8-3/qid=1140099388/ref=sr_1_3/103-4212042-0411001?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Filipe, I am very interested in checking out these books.

"It's hot ham water."
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jewish bakeries, rue des rosiers.....a little off the beaten down french pastry track and yet blatantly on the beaten marais track.....
and if you tire of the drippy sticky sweets and pastries, step away from the bakeries and into the loving arms of the falafel windows...of which they are three good ones on that same street , actually they are about maybe 359 I would think but Lenny Kravitz gave his blessing to just One so go for it.....
amazing......
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what Ella Fitzgerald was singing about, I love Paris.

From the filled fougasse to the pretty umbrella shops, I am totally mad for this city. We found Parisians to be quiet people with dignity, grace and warmth. It was very overwhelming to think about the amazing history that had happened in the streets from the Revolution to the rebellion against the Nazi's and so much more. I am still in awe of the pride that is so plain to see.
Phil retires in nine years, I have that time to figure out how we can live there!

David, Hotel des Grand Ecole was wonderful! You guys will LOVE it! Especially the little elderly woman who I am pretty sure is her job to make you smile!

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Erin,

So glad to have you back! Sounds like your trip was fabulous! How did the packing go? We leave in 3 weeks for Ireland and England and I'm in the throes of taking things off my packing list and trying to figure out how I will exist with only 3 pairs of shoes! Wink
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Erin! I knew you'd love Paris, it really sings doesn't it?
MJBodell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Paris with Children Reply with quote

Hi,

Some of my friends are going to Paris for the first time w/ their very well behaved three-year-old.

Does anyone have any suggestions for activities?

They are also vegetarians so if anyone can suggest great places that have vegetarian food that would be great!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, Good luck with the packing, I made it three weeks on two pairs of shoes!

David, I was so upset when it came time to leave, I really think the French way of life would suit me. Oh and the greatest thing happened when we got home Monday night, a dear person had sent me a box of mapely delicious goodies. Can you imagine how nice that was to come home to? HUGS!

I have to tell you about how I made a fool of myself two or three, okay four times while we were in Paris. In the airport while looking for an ATM I asked the woman at the info desk, "Parle-vous francais?". She and Phil had a good laugh. The fourth and final time I did it was in the pharmacy, and the woman replied in english, "Yes, do you?" before breaking down into laughter. So thank you very much to all of my french teachers over the years, you succeded in helping me make an ass of myself all over Paris. Why do they teach you 'parle-vous francais', and not anglais? I'm a nerd.
I should probably list the goodies I brought home with me;
several different kinds of dried forest mushrooms
a lot of chocolate
harissa , have never seen this brand or so cheap!
lots of jam, they laughed at me in Customs
chestnut paste
I know I'm forgetting some things
misc. arm warmers and scarf, artwork, treats and a new collar for Barney.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: