Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

And these shall not pass my lips again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faijay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hate andouillette sausage and I have tried a couple of times. I mean Intestines stuffed with intestines and tripe ech. And does it ever stink.

I have never eaten and I never will eat pigs feet. My sister and I went for llunch at the old Tante Claire , Pierre Koffman's 3 star restaurant in London. I knew that pig's feet was his signature dish and kept threatening my sister that I would order it and I might have, until I saw it on its way (being carried, not trotting) to other diners. The sight of the trotters with nails attached absolutely had me close to upchucking in a 3 star--the memory of that dish still haunts me. Don't write and tell me how wonderful they are. They will never pass this Jewish girl's lips Mr. Green
queenla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: first, let me get another drink-cause i feel like it Reply with quote

Great topic david!!
Firstly- today is my son's fifth birthday- aprt from everything, we went ot Luna Park-for those aussies in the know ( a theme park) and I bought him fairy floss because that's what you do. I had not it for twenty yuears and now I know whyy- it is absolutely fowl!!! He thought so too but he shouldn't have because he is a kid and should like that shite.
Then there is Barbara who likes shite because she has this all mighty battle goin and I don't know what to say about it but keep talking to us Barabra- let us have it all. And accept our (my) thoughts (prayers) of strength.
Tomato aspic- haven't been there, does not sound like a road I would run down, but then I only like tomatoes very thinly sliced or cooked. Not a bloody mary girl, but wish i was. Would love to drink a drink that was 'healthy' as well. But then I think red wine is, isn't it? and I believe that french champagne is a youth elixer- yes it is- that's right!.
I recall foodscigeek saying that any food is all right if cooked properly- hey- that is wisdom and I always thought FSG was about 12 years old ( I'm not trying to flirt or offend). But this is absolutely true, especially when talking about pressure-cooked broccolli ( what were the 70's thinking-doing-???).
I have to admit that horrible thing of not being being interested in a food I have never tried ( I hate myself for saying it and when the palace rings me up and requests the pleasure of my company to a dinner of stuff I hate but is cooked well, I will try it- with the napkin within easy mouth-to-hand reach). But speaking of such stuff it is the the - dare I say- eyes-brains-fingertips-. But then I have had brains, but i didn't mean to I was just ignorant-at the time- and probably still, and it was fine untill my brains starting thoinking what the thoughts of the brain I had just eaten was thinking and then I sort of wanted to get rid of that brain through a regurgitating action that I managed to restrain.
And then it's cold storage apples that rot the next day after purchase that can't pass my lips- and powdery pears, that were upon purchase firm, that makes me cry- and watery tomato sauces that taste like warm spit might taste, and overcooked limp, string beans and overcooked-dead and swollen-pasta that gags me, and overcooked pork and overcooked risotto but then candied fennel will never do it form me; and the red of the scallops are vomit and chicken veins-never, actually the whole blood thing bores me-no thank you. and where do i stop?? Let's counter this with the things we love the most through a new forum someone should start.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs, which makes going out for breakfast awkward. In things, fine, but I can't abide the taste.
Burgers
Offal/innards
Processed cheese of any stripe
Soft drinks, especially things like Red Bull
Weird chemically flavoured alcohol (eg sourz, smirnoff ice)
Anything purporting to be potato that isn't (includes most "french fries", waffles, alphabites...)
Actually, I could go on. Apparently there are quite a few things I don't like, though I usually say I'm not fussy!
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to add one spurred by another thread in the Paris section. Bubble Tea!! Sweet and glutinous with large cat's eyeball sized tapioca exploding up a straw one could use as a bazooka! I tried just a while back at a very popular little Vietnamese place on the next block. I will stick to their Pho!
jezzme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Aspic & Fish skin Reply with quote

Uggh. I agree with the aspic. A couple years ago, I had some at a luncheon and wished I had never known the host (nor ended up at said luncheon!). ...I politely "forgot" my plate at a table, then went to cleanse my mouth with juice.

More recently, fish skin in Hong Kong. The menu was all in Chinese, and when I ordered "fish skin", I thought it was deep fried or grilled (which would make it delicious like what I've had in Japanese restaurants) But alas, it was not. What appeared before me were scaley grey-black squares of curled up skin wiht a soy-based dipping sauce. They were limp, rubbery, and chewy! Again, I had to refrain from gagging and quickly gulped down some rice porridge (congee) to put the texture and taste of the fish skin out of my mind and mouth.

Never again.

Last edited by jezzme on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carliegirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. There's some doozies in here.

I have to say that escargot was not amazing. I was hopeful that the exotic allure would carry me through and I'd somehow find it cool...but it was not to be. It tasted vaguely like we (my husband and I) were eating mud....with some spices. Blech.

Also not my favorite is roe sushi...I love sushi, but the texture of those little bubbles popping under your teeth just does me in. Whew! Can't handle it.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Well I have to add one spurred by another thread in the Paris section. Bubble Tea!! Sweet and glutinous with large cat's eyeball sized tapioca exploding up a straw one could use as a bazooka! I tried just a while back at a very popular little Vietnamese place on the next block. I will stick to their Pho!

the asian cafeteria at school (surprisingly good for school food Wink ) serves bubble tea. and i am in complete agreement with you David about the tapioca. i adore tapioca pudding made with the tiny pearls, but forget about the big ones!! if you go to the restaurant again, ask for the tea w/o the tap. i know at school you can get milk tea (or any of the fruit flavors) straight up. also, ask if they can make it less-sweet. milk tea is made with black tea, sweetened condensed milk and a simple-syrup type mix. so they might (and should) be able to scrap at least part of the sugar.
msue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've resisted commenting in this thread for fear of being banned, but I just must say this. I LOVE Tomato Aspic. LOVE it!! There is a famous restaurant in Texas that has been a traveler's stop since the 1860's. Tomato Aspic is one of their menu items. I've been known to drive 150 miles just to get it. A long time ago, my grandmother made it for me since it was a favorite even in childhood. Now whenever I have it, I feel her sitting beside me.

Now to be true to the thread...what foods are just awful to me? Very few, actually. However one that I've never managed to consume is raw oysters. Ick. The slimy gray globular mass is just too much to take. I'm not a big fan of shellfish in general (really they are not a fan of me), but oysters are on the Absolutely Never list.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue,
I love aspic as well, a nice layer on top pate, mmmmm!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a bold and brave person msue!!! Very Happy Ohmigod, thinking about the texture of that stuff just this moment literally sent a shiver down my spine!
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's what makes the world go round - isn't it? For every single thing that makes someone gag, there's someone else who just adores it! Laughing

It's been interesting following this thread and seeing the different things people find repugnant. Soem I get - some I just DON"T! Wink
Carliegirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah oysters! I totally dig that one! I love love love seafood (hence the avatar) but I cannot handle raw oysters. The texture and appearance is just over the edge. Whew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: