Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Marlenka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Marlenka Reply with quote

While we were in the Czech Republic I fell in love with marlenka or honey cake. Many cafe's served it but one place in particular had the most delicious one ever.
Do any of you have a recipe or know where I can get a hold of some in the states? Now that we are home I am totally craving some.

"It's hot ham water."
birgit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, your question for marlenka made me curious (... somehow I have a soft spot for recipes I've never heard of before Wink ). I've found 2 varieties, one without and one containing nutmeg (the almond crust reminds me of a famous german cake called "Bienenstich" (= bees sting). This is made by slicing a honey-ey almond-crust topped yeast cake filled with a custard-whipping cream mixture, very sweet but delicious with a good cup of coffee Smile ) But back to marlenka: first recipe as follows:

Armenian Honey Cake
(recipe found here)

dough: 75 g margarine, 3 eggs, 125 g sugar, 1 sachet vanilla flavored sugar (this is about 3 tsp), 3 tbsp whipping cream, 150 g flour, 1/2 sachet baking powder (this is approximately 2 tsp)
almond crust: 100g margarine, 80 g sugar, 80 g honey, 2 tbsp whipping cream, 150 g almond slices, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
Melt the magarine in a little pot and let cool down a bit. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar until frothy. Combine with margarine and whipping cream. Then fold in flour, combined with baking powder. Put dough into a greased cake tin and bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile melt the second part of the margarine in a pot, put in sugar, honey, whipping cream, almond slices and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then take away from heat and pour onto the dough base. Bake for another 15 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

If your cake contains nutmeg you might find recipes by googling for "armenian nutmeg cake". And for a recipe for a cake with another czech name, but translated also as "honey cake", with a picture attached click here. I hope that helps, have fun experimentalizing Smile
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Birgit,
I will have to give it a whirl. The picture looks very similar to what I had. This cake is perfect with a strong cup of coffee. I'm getting hungry!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: