Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

I Just Quit My Job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: I Just Quit My Job! Reply with quote

Goodbye 'this' place, hello new and exciting career opportunities! Actually, I have already accepted another position, it involves my own staff of 2 and more pay, so I can't complain! I work in an office, nothing glamorous, but it'll be what I make of it...

So, since I so highly value a lot of the advice I see here, granted mostly it's on the use of rare fruits or odd gadgets, I wanted to ask a few questions. Call it a Refresher Course, call it Old Work Habit Spring Cleaning.

What are your successful job secrets?
How do you best keep a positive attitude at the workplace?
Got any tips on managing employees?
What's the best way to work with the person you're replacing (who, yikes, is sort of getting demoted)?
AND, How do I get by until my new office gets a fridge and microwave in a few months? (Other than expensive lunches about town.)

Thanks all!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Monica! Good Luck at your new job.

I have managed everyone from a crusty old man to annoying teenagers and everyone in between. I learned to always be up front about everything no matter how unpleasant and to always set the example.
I hope your new job turns out to be as wonderful as it sounds!

"It's hot ham water."
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience -- nothing turns out so wonderful in actuality as it does in anticipation and nothing turns out so bad in experience as is forbode. So keep your expectations limited.

Also, grab a book on Lincoln and read some of his speaches during the war for a great look at how to compromise.

Remember -- compromise, compromise, compromise.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monica-

I'm sure you got the job because you have and have demonstrated the skills to do it and do it well. So you're already practically home free! Wink

How about thinking and communicating that you're at the head of a small team that's there with the common purpose of getting many of your personal needs met by pulling together to accomplish the goals of your company? Get to know the people you work with so you can see what each of them has to bring to the effort and then urge them to make their contribution count.

If they see the big picture, feel like they're important to the effort, recognized for their talents, supported by the others on the team and able to make decisions together and for themselves, you will have done an important thing and I bet your unit will be formidable.

Then I hope the folks with the $$$$ will do as much to recognize you all.

Good luck and GO TEAM!!!
Trying4Thin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Hi everyone, I am new! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Wow, what a cool site! Too bad I cant call off work and read through it from start to finish. Anyhoo...I am a 30 yr old female (MA originally) living in Ohio. I am a college grad, and I love meeting new people. I am hopelessly addicted to "American Idol," "Biggest Loser," and "Extreme Makeover Home Edition." In my free time I like to workout (if I can drag myself to the gym) and I am a Moderator for a weight loss forum. I love to watch cooking shows like; "Emeril," "Iron Chef," and The show that was recently on NBC.."Celebrity Cooking Showdown." What those people learned to do was amazing. I can use my microwave and that is about it! I look forward to meeting all of you, and getting to know you better. Any food advice would be great since I am no longer eating fast food, and I want to pass on some easy recipes on to the forum posters on my site.
Have a great day!

~Carrie
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of Ohio? I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland and now am living in Alabama. Welcome. I'm not visiting C&Z much anymore since I "retired" in January. But, I'll try and get here more often.

I've got to find the "foodie movies" thread and comment on the movie "Tortila Soup" which I just watched last night. Wow!
Trying4Thin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops..I just realized I posted this in the wrong place!
I was reading it because I would LOVE to quit my job!

I am in the Akron area, around Kent State U. Really beautiful. Used to go to Cleveland all the time to watch hockey games at the Gund (now the Q).

I heard "Tortilla Soup" is awesome.

~Carrie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: