Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Fancy Food is Overrated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foodie Fortuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fancy Food is Overrated Reply with quote

I can't believe how much I want a corn-dog right now. I never thought I's say that...but however disgusting and lacking in nutritional value (and however far we think our tastes have evolved)....these kinds of things remind us of childhood and should be indulged and savored....now, pass the freshly fried, crunchy-breaded mystery meat...and don't hold back on the ketchup and mustard!
Lesley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I simply LOVE the feeling I get when I go to a really good restaurant and eat something I would have never even THOUGHT of putting together, tasting the ingredients as they pop and melt in my mouth, slump down in my seat and go "OH MY GOD"....No hoagie ever did that for me!

A really good meal, I mean REALLY GOOD is an experience to remember.

Lesley
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started this thread so long ago and I've been away from C&Z for about three months now, I'm happy to see that it is still somewhat alive.

Corn dogs have to be close to the greatest food ever invented. If I ever have to request a last supper and have only a single choice -- I'd ask for two dozen corn dogs and a 16-oz jar of brown mustard.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who said it originally, but there's a quote out there, "In life, sometimes the most necessary is that which is unnecessary."

Last edited by sweetbabyjames on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, doesn't a great bite sometimes give you all that and a bag of chips? Corn dogs and pub mustard, okay. There's god in there. Nothing fancy needed.
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Fancy Food Overrated Reply with quote

Serape, I'm with you 100% on this one. My guess is that the people who disagree that street food is wonderful come from parts of the world where, well, the street food isn't wonderful. I come from Chicago and grew up on home-cooked meals plus Novi's Italian beef, Maxwell street Polishs, pork chop sandwiches with grilled onions and Alpine subs. This is the food of the gods. When I lived in Minneapolis and now in Milan, have to say that the street food is very disappointing. So, maybe it's just geography.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fancy Food Overrated Reply with quote

Susan in Italy wrote:
I come from Chicago and grew up on home-cooked meals plus Novi's Italian beef, Maxwell street Polishs, pork chop sandwiches with grilled onions and Alpine subs. This is the food of the gods.

I never did escape from Chicago to Milan, and your post reminded me that there is a lot of great food in this town that is not expensive. We are in the midst of a month-long family project to find the best pizza on the north shore of Chicago, and we've had a lot of fun with that. Next up: best tacos in the Pilsen area of Chicago.
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Fancy food is overrated Reply with quote

Hi Chicago Bear, I dig your family projects! Can't help you on the North Shore pizza quest but I wish I could remember the name of this little 18th St. taqueria where they specialize in tacos con cecina. In fact the restaurant sign boasts as much. It's on 18th kinda near Devon. Nothing fancy at all but really good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: