Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Soda Bread and Rye bread recipes needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Soda Bread and Rye bread recipes needed. Reply with quote

I know it's a bit late for St. Patrick's Day but I want to make some. Sadly the traditional recipe I got from an Irish woman years ago is being held hostage by my mom. Long story. Can anyone be of assistance? while I am at it I am also looking for a dark rye bread recipe, Larousse and The Food Network have not come through. Thanks in advance!

"It's hot ham water."

Last edited by Erin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmm soda bread with lots of butter. maybe even lightly toasted if you can resist eating it for that long. Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a soda bread recipe from Nicole Weston: http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2006/03/cooking-school-irish-soda-bread.html Her recipes are always good.

I'll get you a rye bread recipe when I get back but I'm off this AM for a loooong drive back up to Santa Cruz.

You can also look through these forums because I posted another recipe for an onion and walnuts soda bread that looked pretty outstanding.

Last edited by Rainey on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I've found a nice recipe for soda bread click here Smile
Concerning the rye bread, are you looking for a recipe with rye flour or rye grits (?) ore whole rye grains? And with or without sourdough?
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool link Birgit, thanks. As far as the rye bread goes, you're blowing my mind lady. I will try to figure it out and let you know.

"It's hot ham water."
birgit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink ... um, this might be because we're living here in rye breads' paradise .... Wink
Just to explain a bit more: there are varieties with finely ground rye flour, often combined with normal wheat flour (a basic bread in this country), then you can grind the rye grains coarsely (and combine rye and other grains), resulting in more rustic looking breads, and you can as well leave the grains whole, soak them in water and then bake your bread with. This results in considerably dark bread "briquettes" which improve with age, sometimes with added sunflower seeds, and there are several methods, I've heard of, as there are, e.g. baking the bread in foil or bake it more than once , etc. They're mostly sold in slices (because of their "briquette" status, they need a bit of time to get softer ... ).
The more rye you use in your bread the better it is to use sourdough, because the dough tends to get heavier. If you can't digest yeast products there is an ingredient called baking ferment, but as far as I know here as well you should use rye within a combination of other flours/grits.
Last but not least there is a speciality called "pumpernickel", which is very dark and tastes slightly sweet, this is sold in even thinner slices and it's lovely with cream cheese. I've never tried to bake it, though, but I assume it's the soaked rye basis, baked more than once. Smile
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down the pumpernickel! I love it with cream cheese.

Rye bread paradise, sounds nice. Thank you for the info, I knew there were a few different, but that knowledge stops at dark rye, light rye and the marble rye Jerry Seinfeld stole from the elderly woman!

"It's hot ham water."
Kathleen Zeller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: easiest soda bread Reply with quote

I got this recipe years ago - don't remember where but it is super quick and easy. I make it at least once a week. (Sliced hot with honey.)
If you can't find buttermilk I have substituted a cup of plain yogurt and a cup of regular milk....and I have substitued wheat germ for bran flakes. It's a pretty flexible recipe.
Here's the link: http://thymeforcooking.com/recipe/desserts/brownbread.html
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While researching rye breads I've stumbled across a very interesting and searchable bread baking mailing list Smile : click here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: