Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

About the Clafoutis a la Fraise...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: About the Clafoutis a la Fraise... Reply with quote

Could someone describe the texture of the cooked batter in the finished dish?

Last edited by gingerpale on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
frantom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clafoutis should be a toothy custard. it should not be runny, nor should it be tough. it should be like pudding you can eat a slice of, it that makes any sense.

if clothilde's recipe didn't work for you, try increasing the milk (i use about 250 ml of whole milk--NOT skim--and throw in about 30ml of creme fraiche...stateside you could use whipping cream.) make sure to not over beat once wet meets dry. also, the cornstarch could be cut in half to make it less tough. good luck! clafoutis is yummy!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!

Last edited by gingerpale on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have solved your own problem... I would say that maybe the recipe was fine, but you over cooked it a bit. I would try it again with the same recipe and cut back on the cooking time.

Personally I have never used cornflour in a clafoutis?! It seems a strange ingredient to me. But there are so many different recipes for clafoutis, in many different forms.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale - I replied to your comment below the clafoutis post: "The consistency of a clafoutis is kind of like a thick crepe or pancake (not cake- or pudding-like), but it shouldn't feel heavy or solid either."

The cornstarch is actually there to lighten up the consistency of the custard, not weigh it down. It's possible that yours was a little overbaked -- oven temps can vary so widely from kitchen to kitchen. Hope you try it again sometime with better results!

Best,
Clotilde.
dadegroot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: About the Clafoutis a la Fraise... Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Could someone describe the texture of the cooked batter in the finished dish? I tried this recipe, just as written, but it wasn't....nice. Very very tasty, but the batter was like cooked pasta--not custard, not cake, but a soft solid mass. How is clafoutis supposed to be?

I tried it too, but used tinned cherries as I didn't have strawberries. It turned out deliciously light but vaguely pudding like. Puffed up like little soufflés in the oven (I made it in ramkins, rather than a large dish).

In fact I have a picture here: http://degroot.id.au/recipes/2006/03/24/clafoutis/

But as Clotilde mentioned, oven temperatures vary greatly. My attempt at Clotilde's chouquettes did not go to plan (my oven is obvioulsy somewhat hotter than hers).

--
David
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Thank you all for clafoutis advice Reply with quote

I appreciate.

Last edited by gingerpale on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make a clafoutis a few years back and ended up with the same result as gingerpale. Perhaps I will give it another whirl now!
dadegroot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I tried to make a clafoutis a few years back and ended up with the same result as gingerpale. Perhaps I will give it another whirl now!

I've now made the Strawberry version of this too. What I did find is that if you use ramkins (or little Soufflé cups), you'll get a much lighter, puffed up version (like little soufflés). If you use a large baking dish, it tends not to puff.

Both ways it's delicious.

--
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: