Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipe wanted: Ham and Egg Pastry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezzme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Recipe wanted: Ham and Egg Pastry Reply with quote

When I was little, my uncle (who had just come back from Australia) made this yummy breakfast pastry that was baked in a square or rectangular baking pan.

Unfortunately, my uncle passed away almost 15 years ago.

All I remember is that there was buttery pastry, eggs, and ham baked into it...I've never seen it in Canada or the USA, so I'm guessing it's an Australian dish?

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is very much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a recipe, but I have had something similar. It was made with a puff pastry crust (from the freezer at the grocery store). Put it in the pan, prick with a fork and put in about a 440º F oven to prebake - 5-10 minutes or so.

Then just fill it as you would a quiche shell - beaten eggs & milk, a yummy cheese, chopped ham, onions or scallions - whatever floats your boat!

Bake for 30-40 minutes, untill the eggs are set. Cover lightly with foil if the crust gets too brown.

This is just a guess, but when you said buttery pastry - it sprang immediately to mind! Laughing
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAACCCHHH!!!!!!!! Not 440ºF

400º F

So sorry! Embarassed
jezzme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: thx! Reply with quote

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The pastry I had had a sheet of pastry on top of the "filling" as well, but I'll definately give your version (with a sheet of pastry) on top a try. Thanks! I'll let you know if it's similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie Alexander, one of Australia's national treasures, gives a great recipe for an Egg and Ham/Bacon pie which uses shortcrust (I use puff) pastry, slices of ham or lightly fried bacon rashers and about 8 - 10 eggs that are added whole (ie out of their shell, but not beaten) to the pie, topped with more pastry then baked till the eggs are set, about 30 minutes I guess.

Add herbs, onions, chopped leeks, whatever else you like. You can either leave the egg yolks whole, or pierce them for a more 'layered' look

Tastes great hot or cold. Excellent picnic food.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: