Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Desserts of South East Asia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Desserts of South East Asia Reply with quote

Next week I am having a dinner party that is a tribute to the foods of South East Asia. The menu is planned, my Philipino neighbor is making his famous lumpiaso everything is in place, almost. I have no idea what to make for dessert. I have to confess, I find S.E. Asian desserts intimidating. I have no idea why, seeing as I have mastered the art of the souffle and my floating islands haven't sunk yet. I guess it is going into the unknown. Is there anyone who can help me with a special recipe, and tips? Any help would be so wonderful, thanks.

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I don't have any fantastic recipes to share, in fact I can't really remember eating any fantastic desserts when I've travelled in SE Asia.

BUT .... why don't you head over to visit Pim at chez pim. She has a wealth of knowledge of all things Thai, and lots more other stuff as well.

Please share your dinner party with us (after all the washing up is done, of course!) it sounds wonderful!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whenever I eat out at a Thai place, they tend to have deep fried ice-cream on the menu, and because I feel compelled to try it from every restaraunt I visit ( for scientific comparrison of course Wink ), I've not paid much attention to the other desserts.

However, having said that, Milk or Coconut puddings tend to feature fairly regularly in various SE Asian cuisines.

I found this page of Thai desserts which might be useful.
http://www.robertochicco.com/international/ann/thai_desserts_eng.htm

--
Dave
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Oooooooooh! Coconut ice cream on fried bananas! YUM!!!!!!! I'm not a big coconut person, but put it a rich vanilla ice cream and place a scoop on top of a fried banana and I'm a fan! Cool

I love themed dinner parties! Have fun and let us know how it turns out!
climbeyalex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thai dessert of fresh mangoes and sticky rice. It is what its name suggests. Slices of fresh, chilled mangoes, served alongside steamed sticky rice and a drizzle of cocnut milk. Thai red ruby is really nice too. It's cubes of crunchy chesnuts covered in this BRIGHT pink jelly-like thing on top of shaven ice and drizzled with sugar syrup and coconut milk.

I like this dessert which has cooked sago, coconut milk and palm sugar. I am not sure what its name is, but it sure is tasty. If you want something easy and serves alot of people, agar-agar is a choice too. Flavoured with coconut milk, palm sugar or coffee. My mother also makes this dessert that consists of a steamed sticky rice base and a pandan (screwpine leaves) flavours custard on top. It's very pretty when you cut it up, a layer of white rice on the bottom and a bright green layer of custard on top. If you want recipes, I'll be happy to call my mother up and ask. Don't be afraid, they can be labour intensive but they are very yummy, especially if you have a sweet tooth. Good luck with the dinner. Smile
________
herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by climbeyalex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
JM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: South Asian Desserts Reply with quote

I will second the pandan recommendation. You would do well to make a pandan custard with coconut, or condensed milk. I might throw in some tapioca balls as well.

Another alternative is a holy basil panna cotta. There is a restaurant in Montreal called Brunoise and they make a panna cotta with a basil syrup over the top that has been hailed as Montreal's best dessert. I have it a few times and I can honestly say that is it both interesting, and divine. Maybe toss some mango in there and you're in good shape.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions everyone!

climbeyalex, I would love recipes! Any opportunity to have family recipes I take it, they always seem to be the best!

JM, cool sugestion. A restaurant I love serves a salad with mangos, holy basil and crispy noodles. It would be so pretty the make the panna cotta as you suggest, then put a small decoration of the crispy noodles on top.

Donna, I love coconut, I could go a little nuts preparing this one!

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you wondering about my menu, here is a peek at what I'm thinking.
sauces and garnish;
Nuoc Cham, a Vietnamese dipping sauce
Ketjap Manis, a Javanese dipping sauce
La Jiang, a Yunnanese chilie paste
Sambal Cobek or Sambal Achon, both Indonesian condiments
Pineapple Achar a garnish from Singapore or Mango Achar from Malaysia

There is a real communial feel to most Asian foods. So I like to provide many homemade condiments to make it a bit more of an interactive experience.

Dishes, maybe;

Thit bo Nuong, a Vietnamese Sate. I may have them set inside crunchy lettuce.
Lumpia, my neighbor from Guam's specialty. People beg him to bring it to parties.
Samla Daung, a yellow curry from Khumer, Cambodia
Gaeng Kiao something, Duck in Green Curry Paste, from Thailand
Saa Jin, a carpaccio like dish from Northern Thailand, I am making this for my neighbor, who makes a version comonly eaten on Guam. Last time we had dinner I introduced him to the traditional carpaccio, it was a hit.
Jiaxiang Tudou, Yunnan style potatoes. Simple and really good.
Sunni Cai, Yunnanese Greens
I may cut one of the curries, but they are so easy, and convenient to make ahead, I really would hate to. Maybe I won't, my guest list has gotten a little out of control.

I still haven''t decided on dessert though. Maybe I will make one special dessert, then have a plate of sweets from my not so local Asian market.

"It's hot ham water."
fizylizzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: filipino turon = sweet banana egg roll Reply with quote

I love making turon, a traditional Filipino dessert that is made by my grandmothers, mother, grandfather - everyone in my family! The caramel candy coating makes this dessert extra special!

6 saba bananas cut in half lengthwise (they are large sweet bananas but you can use regular bananas if you cannot find saba)
1/2 c. of dark brown sugar
12 pcs. of lumpia (egg roll) wrappers
1-1/2 c. canola oil

Cooking procedure :

Separate the spring roll wrappers. Usually they are sold frozen so thaw in refrigerator overnight

Lay 1/2 banana on a egg roll wrapper. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Wrap filling. Take the side nearest you and start rolling away from you. Halfway through, fold side flaps inward and continue rolling. Wet edges of wrapper to seal. Repeat process until all wrappers are filled.

Heat the cooking oil in a skillet. Over medium-high heat, deep fry the banana spring rolls until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

optional = caramel candy coating

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

Put sugar and water in a saucepan. Caramelize in medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Dip slightly cooled turon in caramel and serve immediately.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound wonderful and addicting! Great screen name fizylizzy.

"It's hot ham water."
villacollinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something simple and easy (and a nice cool contrast with spicy food) I have a great recipe for Coconut Milk and Tapioca Pudding that I'll post here for you. It's really a snap and a favorite of mine that I used to get at a beloved Thai restaurant.

Coconut Milk and Tapioca Pudding
serves 6
1 T tapioca, soaked in warm water 1 hr and drained
1 can coconut milk
2 T chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 firm, ripe bananas, sliced
splash of rum (opt)
toasted almond slivers

Heat coconut milk with ginger and sugar. Cook 'til sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Mix in tapioca and return to low heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add bananas and rum and pour immediately into ramekins and chill. Garnish with almonds. (You can also serve it still warm, it's delicious either way.)

Hope you have a wonderful dinner party!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Oh My, Erin! Your menu sounds just brilliant!
And every one of the desserts people are suggesting sound divine! Maybe you will inspire me to try an Asian themed dinner - but there are SO MANY fabulous Asian restos here - of every stripe - I have palpitations of anxiety even thinking about trying it!

So - you must keep us posted on how it turns out!
frantom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that menu is great. I'm jealous. Do tell us how it goes.

I like all of the desserts mentioned, especially the oned involving bananas.

If you'd like to do something fun but not as authentic (the ingredients and prep are authentic, the presentation is not) you could so a fruit sushi.

To make this I prepare the sticky dessert rice (sticky rice boiled with coconut cream, palm sugar, and a little salt) and then slice bananas and mangos into lamelles. I then roll out some of the rice mixture, which has been cooled to room temparature, place the fruit in the middle, roll up and then coat with toasted sesame seeds. After a few minutes in the fridge I slice them into bite sized fruit maki. You can also do tapioca balls with red food color to look like roe. Just an idea!

Enjoy your dinner!
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, Thank you! I am envious of you having great Asian food around you. That is just one of the many things I miss about the west coast. The only thing I have here is a place called, "Tony's Asian Fusion", the atmosphere is alright but, they serve substandard food.

Frantom, I love it! The "roe" is totally a cute idea. Ina Garten did a feature for Martha Stewart Living a few years ago that included a fruit sushi, very cool.

"It's hot ham water."
queenla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, your menu does sound great.
One of my favs is Vietnamese spring rolls- served with the nuoc cham dipping sauce((palm)sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, water, carrot and garlic) and whole iceburg lettuce leaves and Vietnamese mint ( wrap spring roll and your hand picked V. mint leaves in lettuce leaf and dip away) Either prawn or vegetable little spting rolls- 3/4 inches long-. It is really popular here. I know it isn't a dessert...... But I think the coconut ice cream as an accompaniment sounds divine- maybe with banana, coconut and cashew cake?
I haven't used Ketjup Manis as a dipping sauce, I know it as Indonesian seet soy sauce. It is thick and great in stir fries.
Goodluck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: