Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

zucchini blossoms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenjen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: zucchini flowers Reply with quote

Hi Leo

You know I dip my zucchini flowers in ponko flakes (Japanese) before frying which gives them a really light touch.
My favourite stuffing is anchovie, ricotta, grand parma or other grated hard cheese, pinenuts and what ever fresh herbs I have that day!

Thanks for your feedback, its great to have some other ideas!

There are some new organic beers being made at RED HILL in Victoria and they are just great with food like this Laughing Cool Laughing
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum.
Are those Japanese style breadcrumbs? I might have to give that a try. Straight out of the fryer with a well chilled lager..
What a great idea for a Friday.
jenjen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,
Yes, that's the Japanese ones
pretty finger licking good!
enjoy Laughing Cool Laughing
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback! My desire to eat stuffed zucchini flowers has blown up into a container gardening project. I've starting doing research and have ordered a beginner's collection of seeds from Seeds of Change. Until I can find a supplier for fresh zucchini blossoms out here, I'll have to wait until July or August to see my zucchini blossoms! All these recipes are making me hungry!

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Zucchini Forum Reply with quote

I agree with the zucchini flower tempura idea but I say they should not be stuffed in that case. They are lovely this way and there's nothing to overpower their delicate flavor. It's important to note that you can also use flowers from other squashes. The flavor is similar. I remember getting a whole plastic grocery bag full of pumpkin blossoms one late September for $1 at the Minneapolis Farmers' Market from a Hmong vegetable vendor who clearly hadn't calculated their potential chic-factor!
gisele

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo wrote:
Hi Gisele,
Yes, they are.. Moore Wilson's in Wellington had them for $3 a pre-packed flower Shocked I don't remember if there was one or two per bag.. That's just wrong.

Shocked Ahhh....thanks for that Leo, I think I'll just invest in some seed/seedlings and a large container to grow them in, so I can take it to my new flat when I'm ready!!! Very Happy
jenjen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan

The Japanese breadcrumbs are not like a tempura batter. Truly they are very light & gorgeous for frying stuffed flowers. However I agree that tempura batter would change both texture and flavour.

My Italian fruiter makes an equivalent of the Japanese flakes from an Italian bread that he flakes by hand. Unfortunately I do not know its name, but I can find out if anyone is interested. Cool
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: zucchini flowers Reply with quote

Jen Jen,

Sure, panko and tempura are completely different animals. I was actually responding more to Leo's comment about making stuffed zucchini blossom tempura.
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo,

Actually, I'm not a big beer drinker but I was surprised to find that I like Italian beer quite a bit--especially with the right food (ie: pizza, calzone, fried stuff, arancine...). I like Nastro Azzuro, in fact we went to get some last night but it was sold out so we got Moretti instead, which is also nice and light. I guess when we go in June I will investigate the different brews you mentioned, especially if we go to the "disco" a few times!

At my husband's parents' house they generally drink home made wine with meals, but I noticed at my aunt's house in Rome, my uncle usually breaks out a big bottle of Peroni (served in platic cups of course!)
Leo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan - And welcome to C&Z! All this talk about flowers has began a craving! I like the tempura style batter whether they be plain or stuffed just to make them crispy and protect the flower. We usually make some of each especially for company unfamiliar with eating them. They can try plain to appreciate the taste of the flower and with flowers in abundance, they are a great vehicle for small teaspoon of ricotta filling.

Truth be told, I prefer the Calabrese "fritter" style best (Fritter is a relative term, about 40 flowers to a small bowl of batter). They aren't much to look at but it's how we cook them 90% of the time. Along with tasting great, it is an associative thing.. me, mio suocero, a plate of fritters, a jug of wine, and stories.

Hi KristinaMadonia - Hmm memories. I like the cirĂ³ in Calabria. The home-made stuff, usually Zinfandel or Grenache, is always what is on the table at home too. I also like the bitters. All the non-alcoholic aperitivi are good but Crodino is my favourite. With a slice of lemon. The alcoholic digestivi are also nice. Amaro. mmm

I won't be giving up wine anytime soon but did enjoy the beer. There was even a beer festival up north around Val D'Aosta in June. I think the weather influences the amount of beer I drink in Italy, especially with the food you find on la passeggiata. Same for a Southern Ontario summer. Hope lots of beer weather is coming your way.

Hi Gisele, yeah. can you say cost prohibitive? Especially since I am used to having heaps of flowers.. never a problem to use them up. Nor a lack of brothers to eat the results! There may be more places, local grower grocer operations and markets etc.. that have them throughout the year but nothing like having the luxury to pick your own. Good luck with the backyard project.

Hi jenjen, still intending to get that recipe written down Embarassed . For breadcrumbs. I 'make' all my own. Just take thick sliced leftover or day old crusty Italian style bread (part wholemeal is good) and lay it out it in a very slow oven. If you have a pilot light in a gas range, perfect, you've got storage too. The bread will dry out to a tooth breaking hardness. Great for dipping in soups or for accompanying antipasti. And it flakes easily in a hand held cheese grater as you need it to coat cutlets, fish, eggplant or maybe those flowers. Yum. The seeds are in so only 2 months to wait Rolling Eyes Forever.
kristinamadonia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo: thanks for the tips. Good of you to bring up aperativi and bitters too--I don't think I've ever seen/ tasted the non- alcoholic ones, but funny enough my father in law sells a very bitter "amaro" called Amaro Don Corleone! It tastes almost medicinal, but it's good. Last time we were there we were offered an aperativo in a relative's pastry shop, made with some Martini beverage with some sweet juice: delicious! Of late I purchased a bottle of Marsala (not the one with sugar and yolks) and I have found that it makes a good stand in for an amaro, especially with a home style cake or some hard biscotti.
And I too hope that some good beer weather is on its way over to these parts! BTW: I noticed that every time I open "La Tavola" it opens to the post about wine--do I have the wrong address or have you not posted in a while? Very Happy
swa

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: cooking the flowers.... Reply with quote

My relatives are from Southern Italy - I was taught to just dip them is egg and flour ( seasoned) and fry. They are delicious.

Passing on a great food resource site http://www.food411.com

It's very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: