Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

SOS! chinese/vietnamese/thai restaurant address in Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: SOS! chinese/vietnamese/thai restaurant address in Paris Reply with quote

The two friends I'm going to share a flat for 6 days in Paris, look upon me for everything ( I'm considered the PAris expert) regarding restaurants, patisseries , exhibitions,etc in Paris. They would liketo eat in an Asian ( re subject) and in this field, I'm at loss. I don't know any reasonable ( doesn't have to be fancy) restaurant in the 13eme or anywhere else. Help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you

No more war, more good chopsticks food in Paris!
cris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: asian in paris Reply with quote

Any asian restaurant in the 13 should be reasonnable and decent ,start with a trip to tang freres 48 ave d'ivry a asian supermarket with small take out food stand . then follow your heart too many choice to recommend only one ,my rule of thumb don't go for all asian choose a restaurant from one country only as the cross trainning never bring the real flavor but just a close flavor. All quartier would have decent viet restaurant ,authentic chinese is much harder to come by. Wink
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made the trip to Tang Frères all the way across the other side of Paris this afternoon- and came back laden with all that my arms could carry. So exciting to be in such a great Asian shop with so many different things that aren't available in my part of the woods.
Next time I'm taking reinforcements to help carry!
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it will be a good idea to drop in at Tang Freres and ask them for a good vietnamese or Thai restaurant?
I agree completely with Cris that we should pick a restaurant specializing in one country's cuisine, and Vietnamese and Thai are our first choices.
Come on guys, give me a hand, otherwise I'll loose face with my friends who think of me as being omnipotent with Paris restaurants!

Thank you all
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In November Pim of chezpim posted about one of the best asian restaurants she has ever eaten in, in Paris, and it's vegitarian. Go to her site and check it out. She also has a listing of Paris places to eat and there may be others that fit what you are looking for.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alisa , I've read about that restaurant, but my friends and I are definitely, absolutely, carnivores, and no way we should spend an evening in Paris on a vegetarian restaurant, be it the best in the world.
As you're a Parisian, I'm open to your suggestions about interesting restaurants, but not too modern/fusion ones. We're quite conservative, we would like real good food, not laboratory experiences , or deconstructed meals. I trust you know some local places , unknow even to an ex-parisian like me.
Thanks a lot,
Simona
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of good to great restaurants here!!! My current moderately priced (30 to 40 euros) ones are:
La Muse Vin, rue de Charrone, 11eme - great food and nice realxed atmosphere
L'Avant Gout, 13eme - food so wonderful, small place with the feeling you are somewhere special
L'Ami Marcel 15eme - really great food and service, a bit lacking in ambiance
33 r Georges Pitard 75015 PARIS 01 48 56 62 06

These three all fit what you are looking for:

"We're quite conservative, we would like real good food, not laboratory experiences , or deconstructed meals. I trust you know some local places, unknow even to an ex-parisian like me"

And I find that Clotilde's recomendations are always worth checking out. Go through her Moblog/Restaurants. Those alone will keep you well fed and busy!
cris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: find 2 Reply with quote

sorry i had to e-mail some friends to refresh my adresse book:
nioulaville 32 rue orillon a huge cavernous with 3 differente kitchen with a specialize chef and a continuous parade of dim sum and specialty going around ,a lot of asian customer always a good sign .
also recommended by trusted friend lao douang chan 161 ave de choisy closed tuesday. Smile i miss a good french viet as i found american viet to americanised. Confused
frantom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For really great Vietnamese noodle soup, you must try Pho 14, 129, Avenue de Choisy, in the 13th.

Thai is a little harder, but there is a pretty good place called Lao-Thai just around the corner from Pho 14 on Tolbiac. Both of these places are really reasonably priced (the pho is actually cheap, by Paris standards) and very casual. I eat at Pho 14 probably twice a month.

Another one of my favorites is Japanese noodle soup, which can be found at any restaurant on rue Sainte Anne in the financial district. Don't let all the business suits fool you, this is also an inexpensive meal. My favorite is Higuma, at 32 bis rue Sainte Anne.

For a real treat you should go to Taka, a tiny Japanese place in the 18th, where you have to make reservations because he is full every night. The owner, who is also the maitre d' and server, is realy nice. He's at 1 rue Véron, 01 42 23 74 16.

Happy eating!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also going to try a few of the resto suggestions. So far I have been very disappointed with the Asian cuisines here in France. No matter if it is Chinese, Thai, Tibetan (yes there is one of those near us... never seen one before Shocked ), etc, they all taste the same and each dish that we order tastes the same as the dishes before it.

We have had good Japanese, but it is also few and far between.

What we have found is that all other countries cuisines seem to be "frenchified". i.e. they give it all a french twist to make it appeal to the french taste.

Maybe we are too spoilt coming from Australia and having such easy access to Asia and its cuisines? Sorry, but I don't think we will find authentic Asian cuisine here. Just my opinion though, and I am willing to keep trying new places in the continual search.

Simona, my first question to your friends would be "Why do you want to eat Asian style food in France? Shocked " There are far too many good french restos to try without eating other cuisines. Wink
me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one Vietnamese restaurant in Belleville that I went to a few times w/friends. It is on Rue Louis-Bonnet, called Huang Dong (not sure if it's Huang or Huong) -- very nice steamed dumplings and chicken skewers. Not a very fancy place, but tasty food.

But, this was back in 2001/2002, so I couldn't be sure that it is still there.

Cheers,
:) Shoma
simona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the addresses. I'm back from Paris and I've missed some of your mails.
Finally we did not eat in an Vietnamese/Thai/Chinese restaurant. We did eat in a little japanese names Hochi in Rue de la Gaite ( it's a little japanese town there) and had a ramen in one of my favourite restaurant in Rue St. Honore named Sapporo ( Near the rue des Pyramides). Otherwise we had good french meals ( I'll post the addresses in one of the Paris forums).
To your question Debbie: why we would choose Asian restaurants in Paris. It's simple: we don't have many asian restaurants in Tel Aviv
(Israel) and we love asian food. When in New York, I practically feed myself only in chinese restaurants, and the same in London. As much as we love french food, we do have it here, and my home cuisine is very french oriented. We've been tens of times in Paris, I lived in Paris, so I'm familiar with french food, but I miss the Asian restaurants I loved when a student in Paris. Still, I find New York much better "equipped" in Asian restaurants. But of course, I had the best chinese meals the one time I was in Hong Kong.
I'll be back in Paris in the Spring so I'll check some of the addresses in this thread. Thank you all.

No more ware, the chinese are marching on!!!
isis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: S.O.S Reply with quote

Be completly daring and different and don't plan anything. Be totally spontaneous and do what you feel like at the time. Why stress over something as wonderful as food. There are so many good places to eat in Paris why limit yourself to one kind.

Go wild. Shocked

Isis.
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, I was intrigued to read thar you thought Tibetan food tasted like chinese food! Tibetan food is nothing like chinese food! : Confused

As there is such a large indo chinese population in France I am surprised to read that you have had such bad experiences in the restaurants! Shocked

Simone, I understand your desire to experiment! Sounds like there is opportunity for a kosher chinese restaurant in Israel, or heck maybe it doesnt need to be kosher, just a delicious chinese restaurant! Very Happy
Emilyk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably much too late to be of help to the original poster but for anyone looking for "authentic" Chinese food, Sinorama located 118 avenue de Choisy in the 13th is excellent (try the langue de canard). It is right across the street from Pho 24.

In Belleville, there is a restaurant called Dong Huong where you can get excellent pho, perhaps this is the one Shoma was referring to from back in 2001/2002. If so, it's still there and still really popular

Then, underneath the Royal Belleville and across the street and a little up from Dong Huong there is a place called Da Lat which is also consistently good and not too expensive.

Anytime I go to theses places I see lots of Asian customers, and that is usually a good sign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: