Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food TV personalities?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Food TV personalities? Reply with quote

I've never rented or bought DVDs of tv food personality shows. Can anyone recommend any good DVDs of cooking shows or chefs that were particularly good?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigella...for fun...I love the peeks into the pantry..the chocolate stash..the shelves of books..I love that she still feels life, even though her life has had tough tough stuff....I'd feel at home in the space...

any of the Rick Stein dvds...love his passion

have discovered Julia Child's programmes are now on dvd...that would be a hoot...one of my great food-related experiences was the oh so brief time I spent at the Smithsonian...Julia's kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I'd faint with joy. Those chairs...the videos on the shelves...the Julianess of it all.

isn't this a great time ~ to be able to enjoy such things..

hugs to you
JM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are into Italian I would try and get Mario Batali's show "Molto Mario." He gives good historical and geographical contexts of the dishes he prepares, and he's got great cameo guests as diners...plenty from the Sopranos!
Bonnie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Reply with quote

For real salt-of-the-Earth, home grown, home cooked and good English culture, you should check out Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his River Cottage series. He's a quirky ex-chef that has set up a small holding/farm and restaurant in Dorset, UK and during the episodes, takes you on the journey from seedlings to table.

I love his style and the recipes he creates and often rent the DVDs to remind me of what I would love to do in the future.

I just wonder if he's available in the States.

Bonnie

P.S. This is my first post, so hi to everyone!
melinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jamie Olliver & Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa).....
queenla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard about 'cooking with louis' he is, apparently, a six yeay old tv cook. i haven't found him. Has anyone else?
swan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nigella as well and actually never realised that there must be more on DVD...!I'll see what I can find here. I actually like to own them, they cheer me up when I'm not in the mood for anything at all...I do watch as much cooking on the BBC as I can.
Lexi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely in agreement on the Jamie Oliver and Ina Garten Suggestions- Jamie is extremely entertainging and fantastic to watcha dn his food always looks unbelievable..Ina makes simple and delectable food..I have all her books, and she is always great to watch too..

I thouroughly enjoy Nigella too, of course- Giada deLaurentis' show is fantastic too- Everyday Italian, it's called..
in Canada we have some great Canadian chefs on tv too such as David Rocco and Christine Cushing..Bob Bloomer is fun too
Susan in Italy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Food TV personalities Reply with quote

If I could have a DVD collection of only 1 cooking show, it would be The 2 Fat Ladies. They weren't on long, but they were great!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bonnie and welcome. I love Hugh also.

I would recommend Rick Stein - both his seafood series and his trip through Southern France.
jenjen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: iron chef Reply with quote

I am a huge Iron Chef fan, for technique and exquisite presentation!

Like Susan, I too enjoyed 2 Fat Ladies, but Iron Chef is my all time favourite.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenjen ~ a few weeks ago family 'n a dear friend were sitting around the table discussing the idea of an Australian Iron Chef. Our daughter, at the end of a night of belly laughing, suggested a title ~ Corrugated Iron Chef. The ingredient was to be Meadowlea. (for those not in the know, Meadowlea is a well-known brand of margarine Wink )
robinorig

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best cooking shows (series) I've ever seen was Charlie Trotter's "The Kitchen Sessions"

http://www.charlietrotters.com/store/videos/product.asp?catID=3&productID=30

He is such an inventive chef, it's inspiring!

I do also like Ina Garten and how she pares techniques down to the essentials and still makes very elegant food.

For Italian, Lydia Bastianich is good. She's had several cooking shows on public tv http://www.lidiasitaly.com/index2.htm

and I like knowing the science behind the cooking from Alton Brown.

Jacques Torres had a fabulous show on public tv, too... (Dessert Circus)... don't know if they are still available, but the cookbooks are!
http://www.robinoriginals.com/eats.html
Heather

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Alton Brown's DVDs from his Good Eats show. Many people wrote to him with questions about each show. After each episode on the DVD he answers some of the questions pertaining to the episode which is a really nice educational and personal feature about his DVD sets.
Franca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: TV Personalities Reply with quote

After all this time, Jamie Oliver is still my favourite. Aside from interesting receipes, he looks like someone I'd be happy to hang out with.

I used to like Rachael Ray, but I have no idea how she manages to stay so perpetually perky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: