Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Happy Trails Sarape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Happy Trails Sarape Reply with quote

May I be among the first to wish you happiness in your retirement Sarape. My Dad retired at 50, and he's never been happier. I hope that the removal of the stresses of your job and the added free time are bring you happiness. I look forward to more posts about burnt food, cabbage tea and gruel, and hope that your acerbic wit is unaffected by your retirement.

Now can anyone else come up with a more tactful way to see we love you as the curmudgeon you are?
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm sentiments. I really don't fit in with a structured world. I've always been independent and hated following leaders or joining groups. Of all my jobs, I've enjoyed those best where I was outside: golf-course 'starter' and golf-course grounds crew, and construction labor. I never liked the office, desk job.

I really think the life like those of the eighteenth century American founders like Jefferson and Washington has most appeal to me. I enjoy maintaining my "estate". This involves cooking, gardening, yard work, inside work, hobby stuff, and some financial planning. Since, I have to plan for zero income until I'm 59.5 years old. Which is another 14 years to go. Even at 59.5, I'll depend on my own investments and not on Uncle Sam.

So far, I love staying up late and not worrying about if it is a work or a "school" night. Also, sleeping late till 10:30am.

I've also incorporated onion "tea" as an alternative to my cabbage "tea". We have those thin, wild onions growing everywhere wild down here in Alabama.

Here's a really great cracker recipe I've also discovered: 1 part each of yellow corn meal, whole-wheat flour, and while flour, salt, pepper, water. No yeast involved. Thus, there's no rising stage and that's why it comes out as crackers instead of bread.

If you burn it a little and eat it with dried raisons or figs, well it tastes like.... No, it doesn't. But, this is a very good "bread".
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're still living on the edge with those onions, eh?

Enjoy yourself Sarape.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy retirement Sarape. And don't get your onions mixed up with your daffodil bulbs.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great time, Sarape. I've worked as a casual part-timer for years and love the freedom it gives - taking time off whenever I want to for holidays, family activities, whatever.

I learnt some interesting things about daffodils recently .....

During a war (don't remember which one) soldiers were given daffodil bulbs to keep in their pocket to use as a painkiller if they were badly injured. They bit into them apparently. Of course the soldiers died, but at least they weren't in as much pain. The botanical name, Narcissus, is where the painkiller drug group Narcotic gets its name.

The daffodil is also the emblem of the Australian Cancer Council .... must do some more research about it.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Féliciations, Sarape! It sounds like retirement is a perfect job for you! Cool I'm glad you are keeping us posted on the new creations that are keeping you occupied! Onion tea, huh? Rolling Eyes
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me comment on life in retirement at age 46.

I've been retired now for three months and I am completely satisfied with not having a job. I've adapted well and find it hard to remember life while working. I rarely even think about any of my former jobs or colleages. I've just about put them out of my mind.

I'm spending much more time doing things correctly instead of rushing through life. I now spend more time in the garden -- fighing off squirrels is my current obsession (they are eating my corn plants) -- preparing meals, cleaning, reading, listening to music.

I want to bring up the subject of "backyard gardens" again this spring. Maybe tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: