Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Foods of India
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feste

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erin! Yeah, I was hiding out for a while, but I'm kicking around again now... May I ask why you followed a Vedic diet? Was it religious or dietary, and if the latter, did you notice a change in your health and/or body?

sumitsen, thank you for the recommendation. I will put it on my wishlist right now. I read cookbooks like novels and am overdue for a new one!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feste,
It was dietary, but my fascination in religion played a small part. I have always liked to try out different ways of eating. I really liked the diet and did feel really good in general. That is also the time I first started yoga, so I know that was a huge factor as well.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was visiting the in-laws.

"It's hot ham water."
Faith

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am jumping back in here again with a question for Erin. What did you use to grind your dal and rice for the dosai you made? I tried making dosai from scratch a couple weeks ago, and my little KitchenAid grinder just couldn't handle it. The batter was very gritty and didn't ferment properly. I think I need to use distilled water (chlorine kills the wild yeast) but that doesn't solve the grinding problem.

I don't want to buy a wet grinder just to make dosai! But I am thinking about getting a larger food processor anyway, so I was curious as to what you used.

Thanks!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my blender and was able to get it quite fine. A food processor won't be able to get it so fine because there is too much space for the rice/daal to hide from the blade. The blender did such a good job even the fenugreek was obliterated.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

"It's hot ham water."
nima

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faith,

We use a blender for grinding dosa batter at home. As long as you have given the urad daal and the rice a good long soak, they combine into a nice, creamy paste in a traditional jug blender. The difference between a regular blender and the wet grinders sold in India (or in Indian shops abroad) is that wet grinders have granite parts and replicate the traditional stone mortars and pestles that were once used to grind batter (actually my grandmother still uses the manual kind everyday). While wet grinders are more effective and take less time to do the job, a little patience and a plain-old blender work just fine. No need to buy a whole new appliance.

As for fermenting the dosa batter, just keeping it covered and leaving it overnight, in a relatively warm place should do the trick. I haven't heard of using distilled water. Don't know.

Anyway good luck with it. Dosas are a daily affair in our home, though I have to admit that I don't have the time or patience for making them Smile. So all the hard work gets left to the matriarchs of my family (my grandmothers, mom, mom-in-law). But I suppose I've logged in many years of watching and helping, as their trainee. Maybe one of these days, I'll graduate to doing it on my own.
Feste

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; I've always used my blender. Although I am getting spoiled: an Indian chaat place near my house sells idli and dosa batters. It's been a while since I've made my own!

By the way, does anyone have any good recipes using dal badi/dal wadi? I love the flavor but I only have a couple recipes and I need some new ones.

Thanks!
Faith

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Feste and Erin! That is helpful. I will try soaking the grains longer, and I will try my blender too.
MJBodell

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Dosa Blending Reply with quote

-- If you blend the rice and dal seperately you can use a cusinart.

That's how I make mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: