Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Klimt 'n the LACMA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Klimt 'n the LACMA Reply with quote

anyone lucky enough to be in LA from now to June 30 ~ you'll be able to see 5 exquisite Klimt paintings..the unbelievable portraits of Adele Bloch-Bauer ~ gold-drenched canvas!

oh..'n the beechwood one...the colour the light...the wonder of Gustav's vision..

http://www.lacma.org/art/ExhibCurrent.aspx#Klimt

would love to hear of anyone's visit..
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely enthralled by Klimt. The first time I saw his work was ten years ago at the Chicago Art Institute, and was drawn to them immeditly. I would love if this comes to NYC!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin...treat yourself and fly over! Do you know of the up and coming film "Klimt"?
With the dear John Malkovich as Klimt...from photos of the shoot he looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooo Gustavish Wink Not sure when it will have a worldwide release...the following from a reviewer posting on IMDB:

"I saw the short version at the European Screen market during the Berlin Film Festival ,and I have to tell that this version is nothing more than a visualization. No real story, unclear jumps between reality and vision. Bombastic sets, incredible costumes -- but then the same road is used for Vienna and Paris street scenes. Besides that: Nicolai Kinski (son of late Klaus) as Schiele is a diamond in this. Malkovich is the monolith in this nothing of a storyline.

This picture urgently needs an English synchronization. The German/Austrian actors contra American/English mix is horrible. This is a German who writes this!

I hope I will see the long one somewhen. Perhaps it makes it much clearer. "

maybe I'll watch it on dvd with the sound off...play some gorgeous music from the period instead...and faint at the costumes...and the colour...I've seen one shot where it appears gold leaf is floating through the air...Klimt, the magician of gold..

Don't know when your birthday is..however whenever it is..perhaps a trip to LA in the next few weeks would be a thoughtful gift from a nearby giftgiver....

Erin, if I could I'd give you wings to fly Wink

hugs fellow Klimt soul
laurie_m

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Klimt paintings Reply with quote

They are extraordinary paintings. Even better is the fact they have been returned to their rightful owners. If you are ever in NYC you must visit the Neue Gallerie, they have a wonderful collection of Klimt paintings and drawings, especially landscapes, which are rarely seen.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cafe/restaurant at LACMA is good too, though rather pricey; I only had a dessert. I went to their Cezanne-Pissarro exhibition (also showed at MoMA I believe) which was absolutely excellent.

Have fun, anyone who goes!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My birthday sadly isn't until December! I do think I will check out Laurie's suggestion of the Neue Gallerie when I stay in the city next week.

I would really love to see Donna Con Ventaglio, it's my favorite..... along with Sea Serpents IV, Tanzerin, The Tree of Life and Musik.... oh Emilie Floege and Pear Trees. Well, I guess I have a lot of Klimt favorites.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most touching part of this exhibit is the fact that these paintings were confiscated from the Bloch-Bauer family by the Nazis before World War II and only recently returned after DECADES of legal wrangling with the government of Austria. Justice has been served - however belatedly. Maria Altmann, the niece of Adele Bloch-Bauer, has graciously donated these masterpieces to the LACMA for this exposition. What a GIFT!!!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: