Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

French-English food dictionary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azul

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: French-English food dictionary Reply with quote

sorry for the plethora of posts tonight, but i had planned my trip to Paris a while ago and all of the sudden my trip is next week. ack!

does anyone know of a good online french-english food dictionary? my french is pretty decent, but my food vocabulary isn't as good as i would like it to be which makes menus a little daunting. i'm hoping that i could find online a good dictionary that i could print out and carry around with me.

any suggestions?
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: French-English food dictionary Reply with quote

azul wrote:
sorry for the plethora of posts tonight, but i had planned my trip to Paris a while ago and all of the sudden my trip is next week. ack!

does anyone know of a good online french-english food dictionary? my french is pretty decent, but my food vocabulary isn't as good as i would like it to be which makes menus a little daunting. i'm hoping that i could find online a good dictionary that i could print out and carry around with me.

any suggestions?

I don't know about an online one off-hand, but TimeOut Paris has a good food glossary in the back. They may have it on their website as well. Have a good trip!
Melly

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled it and found several. This one looked pretty good.
http://www.beyond.fr/food/eng_french_food_dict_1.html
The one at Patricia Wells' site was more comprehensive but maybe too much so since it includes cooking terms.
http://www.patriciawells.com/glossary/atoz/glossary.htm

Good luck! We went in April and had a fabulous time. After a week, not one of us, including my 5 year old, were ready to come home.
Donna

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I bought a little book about the size of a 3X5 card called Menu Master. You could buy them in German, French, Spanish, etc. It had translations for typical items on a French menu, as well as a food glossary in the back. You might look for that in a book store before you go. It was very easily carried in pocket or purse and very easy to consult. We used ours till it fell apart. My French is better now and I feel less need for it, since we go to France every couple of years! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: