Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tell us about where you live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adelaide, Australia.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gingerpale. How strange, perhaps the article was published in an Adelaide newspaper. Most of the churches here are now nightclubs or shops, but we do have a lot of churches.

That's a great book, the 4WD - Four Wheel Drive - book. We have one and use it a lot when we travel. Take a look at the route from Adelaide to Alice Springs then north-west across the Tanami Desert and north to Kalumbaru, which is about as far north as you can get in Western Australia. We did that trip a couple of years ago and loved it! Especially camping in the desert. It's beautiful country.

Go Socceroos!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North by the sea of Timor

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gisele - I love living so close to the city. When I drive over the harbour bridge I think how wonderful to be only 5 minutes from home instead of 30 minutes to the peninsula.
Saudades

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara: i do have an album by Cesaria Evora. however i prefer true Pt fado Very Happy

Simona: it's a she Smile lol you also write in codes. i travel to eat and drink purely for pleasure. people think i'm from another dimention cos i'm always the first person they've met who says 'i've come here to eat and drink'. and then whipping out my camera to take photos of the food and beers, then making notes sometimes draws a lot of attention from local diners or passers-by.

pea soup is nice in the winter. but Portuguese caldo verde i can eat any day, or every day. Smile
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it gingerpale, come here for the recipes and stay awhile and meet fantastic people from all around the world. Aren't we all so lucky?

Madame and I are getting together again this Friday when I'm in Sydney - can't wait to see her and her lovely Dad again.

Saudades - Portuguese caldo verde - please tell us more, and share a recipe. If you can eat it every day, it sounds like something we all need to know more about.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona---I loved your take on where you live (occasional exploding buses) I just can't imagine how one deals with all of that.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudades, yes, PLEASE share?Dou you use 'boerenkool 'for it?
I love Portual by the way, and since young I age was able to read the menu... Very Happy in portugese
Saudades

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, check out this blog for a good version. it also has a photo so you'll have an idea what the soup looks like.

so far i've not managed to make an authentic version as Galician cabbage can't be obtained where i am. but i plan to try making it again soon now that i have half a ring of chorizo laying around.

--------------------------------------------------

Swan: i did use boerenkool but am going to experiment with other cabbages until i'm happy with the result. my very first caldo verde was zielig Sad btw, i also love Pt and can read the menu but speaking the language is entirely another matter! [i have not a drop of Pt blood in my veins]
gisele

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Gisele - I love living so close to the city. When I drive over the harbour bridge I think how wonderful to be only 5 minutes from home instead of 30 minutes to the peninsula.

lol - My boyfriend and I never go into the city, which I guess is odd for people our age. Both of us work up here, our families live up here...so it makes sense. However, all the majority of our friends live in the city so that does make things difficult, although my friends are all still at uni, so we move in different timescales.
Cyndi H

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Forest Falls, California Reply with quote

I live in a small town up in the San Bernardino Mountains in southern California. It's about 90 miles east of Los Angeles and about 40 miles northwest of Palm Springs. It's in a box canyon, and our house is at the upper end at about 6000 feet. From our front window we look up into the San Gorgonio Wilderness, and during the winter we get lots of snow - enough to use chains or 4-wheel drive numerous times.

Pros: cool summer nights, lots of tall pine trees, seeing the stars at night, watching the jays and squirrels fight over the birdseed while I do dishes, privacy that allows me to use my hot tub (!), it's away from the freeways and hubub of the southern California cities, half a mile from a trailhead into the wilderness, Trader Joes about 20 minutes away

Cons: bears and raccoons who expect to be fed (careless neighbors), it's in southern California, too many flatlanders coming up to play in the snow in the winter.
Diane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Kansas City, which is at the very center of the U.S. I've traveled quite a bit, I love the Rocky Mountains (not to mention France!), but Kansas City is special in its own way to me.

Pros: The Plaza: the jewel of Kansas City! It's a small neighborhood south of downtown that is modeled after Seville, Spain. During the Christmas season every detail of these beautiful European buildings are outlined in Christmas lights. The effect is just magical, particularly when it snows. Kansas City is more open-minded than the rural midwest, but you'll still find the same warm and friendly people. There are delightful one-of-a-kind restaurants, and the weather is never boring! And there is something to be said for the comfort of the familiar: I've grown up here, my family is here, and I like it here. As I said, I've traveled quite a bit and enjoyed it all, but I always look forward to coming home to Kansas City.

Cons: It's hard to find some specialty food items at the local grocery store. There are some gourmet food shops, but they are a good 30 minute drive away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for online gourmet food shopping?
itroussel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Alcobendas (Madrid, SPAIN) Reply with quote

I've lived for 20 years in Alcobendas, in Madrid suburbs (kind of like any Westchester County town (NY)), although I was brought up in a very French/Britton environment (French mom from Brittany, francophile dad, French school... Summer vacation in Brittany every year)... but since this topic is about the place where I live, here it goes:

Pros:
* International community (most of all German, French, American and British).
* a 30 minutes train ride to world class museums (the Prado, Reina Sofía, Sorolla, Thyssen...).
* Great restaurants (both, here in Alcobendas and in Madrid), we are starting to get into ethnic food here (Spaniards used to be very reluctant to try new foods, but this is changing now).
* I live in the suburbs, which means lots of trees and grass and swimming pools (this is particularly great these days since we are reaching 35º Celcius). Still in 15 minutes (by car) I can be in the heart of Madrid.
* The Spanish way of life (this too is great for the summertime: siesta, dinner or tapas on a "terraza").
*Great food, and olive oil (hence churros, gazpacho, torrijas (a kind of French toast we eat for Easter, boquerones (fresh anchovies) marinated in garlic, parsley, oil and vinager), great Spanish wines!!!
* a 40 minutes car drive for the nearest ski track.

Cons:
*Outrageous housing costs (in Madrid and particularly here, in Alcobendas) compared with the low salaries Spaniards have.
*Very bad unemployment problem, thus, very few jobs and ridiculous salaries (as I've said above).
*the Spanish way of live (lots of noise, loud speaking (even at 2 AM on a weekday), the "Mañana" (Tomorrow/procrastination) country, and so on...).
*The Spanish government (I'm sure some of you will dissent, but I really believe this government is breaking Spain apart).
*Terrible traffic and parking problem.

Still, Alcobendas/Madrid is a great place to live for expats, so don't hesitate!
MarieC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently living in Shanghai. Imagine, if you may, an oriental version of NY (just with more Chinese people around!).

Mi amor tiene dos vidas para armarte.
Por eso te amo cuando no te amo
y por eso te amo cuando te amo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: