Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What is the classic haute cuisine meal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: What is the classic haute cuisine meal? Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm writing an article about what to order if it's your first time having haute cuisine French food. What would you all recommend? And part 2 of this question: Is the standard sequence of the meal- aperitif, appetizer, main course, dessert (with coffee), cheese, digestif? Or is there no coffee, or cheese before dessert? Thanks for your feedback!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always serve the cheese before dessert.
Franca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks- yes, that seems to be what research is showing. Reply with quote

A bit of net searching seems to say that this is the way it's supposed to be. And that coffee is its own course as well (served after dessert, not with).

Thanks for your feedback!
Bonnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Somewhere, somehow Reply with quote

This debate I remember reading about somewhere, long ago from some website, magazine or book. It said that the tradition of the cheese course will depend on where you serve it:

In France - before dessert
In England - after dessert

It didn't mention any other country, but as they say, "when in Rome..."
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for our french friends to answer the first part of the question:what do you reccommend to order for a haute cuisine meal.Cheese is not the meal, and of course it's not served after the mousse au chocolat. But what before the cheese ? I do have ideas, but I'm still waiting for the French to "pick up the glove" ( meet up the challenge?).

No more war, let us eat haute cuisine in peace!
JM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheese before dessert. The plates should not be the same ones you used for dinner, nor the same ones you will use for dessert.

Coffee after dessert, sometimes with a piece of bitter chocolate.
simona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the article about haute cuisine on the FoodVirgin blog. Well,
I understand the writer did not have time to wait for suggestions from our forum friends, but there was no date limit. I hope next time we will be quicker in responding to a friend's request. Meanwhile, the poor cheese course remains in limbo.

No more war, vive la haute cuisine Francaise!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheese stands alone.......

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the cheese is served before dessert. It was served after the meat course so any red wine left from the meat course could accompany the cheese A special dessert wine is then served with the dessert course.
Franca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Barbara, that's an excellent point! Reply with quote

Barbara, that's an excellent point! I forgot that dessert would have dessert wines. This makes logic sense, then for cheese to come before.

Simona, it's not too late! I actually posted up the article with the intent to edit it again to put in these missing details, and fix any errors. Am still curious to hear from French people what they'd say a quintessential Haute meal would be, and what would be good for newbies.

I'll try to give more lead time when I ask questions here next time, though. Embarassed
bulkarn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very late response but I returned from Paris last night and can tell you that in haute and bas cuisine--perhaps cusine ordinaire? coffee is last, by itself, cheese between entree and dessert. plus, the haute restaurants, even medium haute, the meal begins with a complimentary amuse bouche, which is not considered the appetizer, which follows. Good luck with the article. Is it available to read?
Franca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Bulkarn, the article is up now! Reply with quote

You can read it at http://www.foodvirgin.com/columns/FrenchHaute.htm . I will actually be interviewing a French chef to add some weight and nuances, and any surprises that they'd like us all to know. The main gist of the article is up now, though. Feel free to suggest any additional tips if you think of any that you think are important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: