Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

South of France trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to make a lot of use of all your wonderful tips: I'm halfway deciding to go to the south of France/Provence in october, one week a cooking course in an old Monastry in Molière-sur-Cèze, which is on the Provence-Cevenne(sp?) border, and then maybe a week in a town or village 'somewhere'in Provence to be able to visit some of the must-sees-and-eats. And then leisurely driving my way back up to Amsterdam through France and Belgium, with a last-minute chance for non-dutch goodies in a french or belgian supermarket just before I cross the dutch border again...Smile

David, my thoughts are with you, a lot, I have so much respect for the love and loyalty of both of you....take care!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, the new Juju was a disappointed. We had signed petitiond hoping they would allow them to stay but they bulldozed th whole beach.
They no longer had the tank where you picked your fish and the open fire. Now you pick from a freezer and the prices are much higher.
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably too late to book a room but stop for lunch in St paul-de-Vence at the Colombe D'Or and look around at all the famous works of arts by the greats who stayed there. By th pool is a huge Calder mobile. In the village is my favorite small museum, The Maeght Foundation.
pimpille

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Le Taureau de Camargue Reply with quote

David wrote:
But the Camargue beef is wonderful!! Can't remember what it is called though????

Are you talking about la gardianne de Taureau ? I mean a camargue beef stew ? It is excellent. My mother cooks it very well and we buy the meat in a small butchery in Arles. It tastes different from beef, it tastes a little stronger, a little "wilder". Arles is aswell known for its saucisson d'âne (donkey dry saussage)
bulkarn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Dinner at l,oliviers in Uzes Reply with quote

We are in St. Remy and loving it but not as much as uzes, which stole our hearts. David, your recommendation for l,oliviers was fantastic. Many thanks.
swan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkarn,David, is it this one?
Le Jardin Des Oliviers
Chemin du Pont Romain
30700 - Uzès
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry swan but I don't think so, the one we ate in was simply called L'Olivier and it wasn't in Uzes proper but in a tiny village about 4 kms out.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I was searching the net and since Bulkarn mentioned mailing the restaurant...well, well'see. First I have to decide if I go anyway, then wether the cooking course will be the first of the last week of my 2 weeks(and a bit) in France/Provence region. Then I have to decide what to do with the other week: find myself a nice place to stay in a central location and tour around? Stay for 2/3 nights at a few different places? Choices!!! Luxury problems I call them. How nice to wonder about stuff like that again.

Last edited by swan on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:57 am; edited 3 times in total
man-from-gard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether this place has been mentioned before but if you are in or around Marseillan (close to Sete on the south coast) I recommend Le Chateau du Port, 9 quai de la Résistance, 0467 77 31 67, which is owned by the Pourcel brothers of Michelin 3 stars, Le Jardin des Sens fame, in Montpellier. You would expect the food to be good and it was. They had two menus, 20 or 29 euros and all present pronounced their meals as excellent.

If you think that your life is boring then read this
http://alex-in-languedoc.blogspot.com
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, do you know Peter who has the Languedocpage.com?
After Provence we are thinking of stopping for lunch at Sommieres at one of the cafes before heading on to Albi and Poitiers-Charente.
man-from-gard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cigale I know him well. We often meet up in Sommieres at the market on Saturday morning. It's an excellent market, a smaller version of Uzes, but without all the English voices Evil or Very Mad . Let me know when you will be there and Jan and I will be pleased to meet for a drink.
Sommieres isn't blessed with good, reasonably priced, cafés. The best is a small restaurant L'Olivette 0033 466 80 40 60. If you could make it to Marseillan, not only is it a very pleasant setting but you will eat well at Le Chateau du Port. If you definitely want to eat in or around Sommieres let me give it more thought and I'll get back to you.

If you think that your life is boring then read this
http://alex-in-languedoc.blogspot.com
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's really just to see the town and lunch at a café. We'll be in Provence(Eygalieres) for a week starting August 21 st. We love Uzes, stayed there twice. Love to meet for a drink. Right now things are halted. My husband has taken ill. will have a scat scan tomorrow. You can reach me at hotmail.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulkarn----I'm thrilled the restaurant delivered! Difficult menu to describe isn't it?
bulkarn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. Thank you so much for your wonderful help with my honeymoon trip to the south of France. someone was asking about the contact for l'oliviers near uzes and here is their site.

http://www.lolivier-uzes.com/

It is actually in serves-labombe ?? I got home last night and am very jetlagged here in san Francisco.

I will write more about some of our memorable meals when I am coherent. But let me say just one word--l'Esperance in St. Pere sur Vezelay!!!!!!!!

A meal of a lifetime. Bonjours for now.
bulkarn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops--here is the correct l'oliviers uzes site

http://www.l-olivier.fr/

the other is a bed and breakfast I believe. sorry--helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: