Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Peach Kuchen & Lemon Ice Cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Peach Kuchen & Lemon Ice Cream Reply with quote

Yesterday was my middle daughter Galen's 25th. We had to have cake and ice cream so we did Bruléed White Peach Kuchen with Lemon Ice Cream. The cake has the advantage of using yummy summer fruits. I did it on the convection setting of my microwave (much of my kitchen having gone on permanent strike) so I was able to avoid adding a lot of extra heat to an already steamy summer. The combination of lemon, fresh fruit and cream was fantastic.

Peach Kuchen
Serving Size: 10

• 2 pound ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
• 2 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoon milk
• 1 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon peel
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• a dash of cardamom
• 1 egg yolks
• 3 tablespoon heavy cream
• whipped cream or ice cream

Butter a 9-inch springform pan and preheat oven to 400?F.

Pour enough boiling water over peaches in a large bowl to cover. Let stand 1 minute to loosen skins; then drain, and plunge into cold water for a few seconds to prevent softening of fruit. With a paring knife, pare peaches. Place them in a large bowl.

Sprinkle peaches with lemon juice to prevent darkening. Slice into the bowl. Toss to coat with lemon juice. Set aside.

Sift together flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using a fork, beat eggs with milk and lemon peel. Add flour mixture and melted butter, mixing with a fork to combine but DO NOT overmix.

Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. *** At this point, the kuchen may be refrigerated several hours or until about 30 minutes before serving time. ***

Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and cardamom, mixing well.

Drain peach slices. Arrange attractively on top of batter. Sprinkle evenly with the spiced sugar.

Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven. With a fork, beat the egg yolk with cream. Pour over peaches. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.

To serve, remove sides from slightly warm cake. Cut into wedges and top with whipped cream or ice cream.

Notes:

For a brulée alternative, sprinkle unbaked kuchen with half the spiced sugar mixture and bake as directed. After 25 minutes, brush with the egg/cream glaze and pour over any remainder. Sprinkle with the remaining spiced sugar and bake another 10 minutes as directed. Then place kuchen under a hot broiler or fire with a brulée torch to melt and caramelize sugar and the edges of the fruit.

Lemon Ice Cream
Recipe By: Epicurious.com

• 1 large egg
• 2 large egg yolks
• 2 cup whole milk
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, preferably from Meyer lemons
• zest of 2 lemons, very finely grated

In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and yolks together. Have ready a fine mesh sieve suspended over a large heatproof bowl.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar, and salt, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is hot to the touch (it should register about 140° F on an instant-read thermometer).

Whisking the eggs constantly, slowly whisk in about 1/4 cup of the hot milk. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking the contents of the saucepan constantly.

Continue to cook the custard over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (it should register 170° F on an instant-read thermometer), 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately strain the custard into the large bowl. Stir over a bowl of ice and cold water for 10 minutes.

When custard is cool, whisk in the chilled cream. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Cover mixture and refrigerate until chilled.

Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Transfer to an airtight freezer container and cure, tightly covered, in the freezer until the ice cream is a scoopable consistency.

Makes about 1 quart

Notes:

My notes:
The egg yolks give this ice cream a lovely natural yellow color that suits lemon very well. The lemon zest will seal the deal but be sure that it's as finely grated as you can manage because it will have a tendency to clump up on the dasher as it churns.

You can go with a whole range of lemon flavor from light to profound but keep in mind that flavors dull as the temperature of food drops so a little more flavor in the custard than you want to end up with is a good rule to follow. The creaminess mellows the acid of the juice and makes a wonderful partner for it.

I have made this successfully with non-fat milk.

Epicurious notes:
This recipe is adapted from Gabrielle Carbone, coproprietor of The Bent Spoon ice cream parlor in Princeton, New Jersey.

As with all cooking, if you start with great ingredients, you'll get great results. Hormone-free milk, fresh cream, and organic lemons make all the difference. If Meyer lemons are in season, try using them.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had leftovers so I got to give this a redux with BBQ last night. We had peach halves grilled with a scoop of the lemon ice cream and a handful of fresh blueberries for color. Yum! and a nice confluence of hot, cold and fresh.

And then we had leftover grilled peaches. They made a wonderful and different breakfast with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkle of granola for crunch.

CB- Take back those nasty comments you made about leftovers! (...about 6 months ago ::said the little snot who just can't let anything go:: ) Mad Shocked
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody! A new Rainey Recipe - just in time for 4th of July!

We have a new wonderful market that just opened nearby - Farmer Joe's - where I can get some BEE-YOO-EE-FULL produce - including white peaches! AND - I finally know how to use the ice cream maker! (Sam wants to know why I have so many bananas in the freezer!)

So - I am all over this!

thanks for all your creativity! I am tickled to hear about your adaptive cooking techniques. when we bought our first house, it had NO appliances and we had No money! We bought a used fridge and cooked on a campstove, a microwave and a grill for three years! Laughing
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already told Rainey that I made both of these recipes for July 4th, but I forgot to mention some adaptations I made. I did let her know that I used raspberries and blueberries instead of the peaches and it was both beautiful AND patriotic! Plus delicious! I am looking forward to trying it with the peaches I bought when initially deciding to make it! Laughing Maybe tonight!

For the ice cream - I have both Meyer and Eureka lemon trees. Both are at the end of their seasons but I managed to scrounge up enough for the juice and the zest. I used about 3/4 cup lemon juice instead of 1/2 cup and it worked out fine. I used 1/2 C. meyer and 1/4 C. eureka juice - for a little more punch. It is still very creamy and smooth, but as Rainey says, the cold moderates the flavor a bit and I love lemon, so wanted to get as much oomph as I could. Laughing Worked well, and was not too tart for the kuchen!

The other thing I did on the second batch (big crowd) was to add the zest at the last 2-3 minutes of the churning. That reduced the clumping of the zest on the dash - that I experienced on the first batch. That's a tip taken from the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cookbook. They recommend adding nuts, cookie bits, candy bits, etc at the end.

I should also mention that I slightly curdled the second batch of custard. Embarassed Multi-tasking is not always a good thing. HOWEVER - my immersion blender came to the rescue!!!Exclamation Exclamation I just stuck it in the pan and whizzed away for a couple of minutes and it was as smooth as silk! I highly recommend the immersion blender for custard based ice creams - even when you DON'T curdle it!

These were both BIG hits and both easy to make! The kuchen you can put together in under 15 minutes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: