Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Hmmm, what shall I cook?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tea leaves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hmmm, what shall I cook? Reply with quote

After a long, trying, draining week that included a funeral for my dear friends mother, I am eyeing the prospect of a rapidly approaching non scheduled weekend with emotions bordering on glee....I think Halloween was the last weekend I wasn't crafting,cooking, baking, wrapping, decorating, visiting, working (really) or did I mention cleaning after one or the other activities...my question for all of you equally gleeful c&z ers is "what's on the stove this weekend?" I'm thinking some chocolate orange bread (if I can find the recipe) soup for a sick friend and a new england boiled dinner ( try smoked shoulder vs. corned beef, much better!) Let me know!
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make pancakes! Be creative. How about potato pancakes or Latkes? (Hope I spelled it right.) It is probably going to be cold in Boston (it is going to be cold down here in Alabama this weekend), so make something to warm your bones.

Anything else I'd sugget would have yellow corn meal and oats as a base. (Dixiland is getting to me.)

Also, since I've recently been re-watching the Ken Burns, Civil-War series, you could try some soldier dishes. Then again, maybe that's a little too much.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm with the upcoming IMBB "Beans beans that musical fruit", you could practice you cooking skills by making homemade chili con o sin carne (by replacing ground meat with, says, peppers, red onions and fried eggplant).
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making braised lamb shanks with Clotilde's chestnut galettes as a side dish, using fresh chestnuts. I'd love to spend some serious baking time but hazelnut scones will probably be about as far as I get with it.
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get to go home tonight to a huge pot of Dick's steamed mussels and a good baguette with plenty of butter. That will be a nice Saturday nosh for me! And mussels are sooooooooo easy!
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this cold, cold night in the middle of the US, I am comforted by the aroma of lemon thyme chicken roasting in my oven.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night it was hot dogs from a street vendor on the corner of seventh and 38th on our way to show a friend Time Square. I had wanted to make a feast but we haven't seen each other in a year, (she moved to England), and had way too much laughing to do!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a large fresh ham for Christmas and I froze a large cooked portion 'cause I didn't know how to use it. Today I'm cubing those leftovers and stewing them with tomatillos and chilis to see what happens. We'll have it with rice and corn tortillas.

I think I'll also make a vat of Mulligatawny soup to serve later in the week. We like that with a crisp salad and a hearty bread. One day I have to try to make naan. But for now, I just use a crusty country bread.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

May I please have your Mulligatawny recipe?

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Rainey,

May I please have your Mulligatawny recipe?

Bien sûr (said the lady fresh from a morning of French class). C'est formidable! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15639,00.html I think this should appear on the periodic table of addictive substances!

You can simplify prep some by simply slicing the ginger into not terribly thin coins. I see no need to grate it when you're going to purée the soup anyway. And I purée first and then add the cilantro for a bit of green amid the lush yellow-orange.

I use canola or olive oil when I don't have ghee on hand. The difference is very slight.

Hope you enjoy it like we do.

I tried making naan with it this time. I had limited success. It was tasty but far too thick and lacked the wonderful char of a proper naan. I baked it by first heating my bread stone to 450? and then turning on the broiler element to simulate a tandoori and so the bread baked quickly from the bottom and the top.

I think if I'm more careful to roll it out very thin and be more brave next time, I could get a good approximation of naan. Only other issue is keeping the small balls of dough from crusting over as they rise....
Sydneygirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: What's Cooking in Sydney Reply with quote

I am so tempted to cook all these lovely winter comfort foods but it is hot hot hot and humid in Sydney at the moment! Yesterday for lunch I made filo parcels filled with a mix of organic rump mince, kalamata olives, tomato paste, chili, and oregano and served them with more olives and tzatziki-Mediterranean food is just perfect for this weather. I have found Clotilde's technique of putting breadcrumbs between the sheets of filo to be very yummy.
Ohh and we had dinner at our local last night-the Golden Sheaf Hotel-those in Sydney must try it-dinner was a beautiful salad of beef carpaccio, rocket, pepper, shaved apples, dried cherry tomatoes, parmesan, and snow peas-lovely and refreshing in this heat.
Delsbread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I found a delicious piece of smoked trout at a local fish market. I made a simple mixed greens salad and a sesame miso dressing and served the trout on top of the salad. It was delicious! The lightly salty trout was balanced by the mildy sweet and tangy dressing. Yum!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: food in the heat...of Oz Reply with quote

simple fish and salad....avocado scrumptious...fresh bread...water with loads of ice...it's just tooooooooooooo hot!

Welcome Sydneygirl! Welcome Welcome Welcome...
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have extra time I bake bread...today I had some extra time, see:

If I have too much time on my hands I post lots of pictures of my food:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ed_mcgaugh/album?.dir=/9eb8&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gorgeous loaves Ed!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: