Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Jams, Jellies, Preserves + Marmalades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myredstars

Location: Home: Charlotte, NC; Currently studying in Vitznau, Switzerland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Jams, Jellies, Preserves + Marmalades. Reply with quote

I have been fortunate enough to live next a farmer's market for the Summer, and still have one month to go. In the short time I have been here, many of Summer's bounties have come and gone (strawberries, figs, blueberries, Peaches [I'm in Georgia], etc).

I want to be able to take the best of the season home with me by preserving, canning, etc. After scouring the internet and what books I have brought with me, I have found few good *tested* recipes for jellies, jams, preserves, marmalades, etc.

So, my question is.... what are your favorite recipes for making Summer's bounty last?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an old thread on jams, etc. http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24&highlight=concord I highly recommend the Grape Conserve. It has a lovely, complex flavor. There are other recipes that sound good there too.
Gretchen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves + Marmalades. Reply with quote

myredstars wrote:
I have been fortunate enough to live next a farmer's market for the Summer, and still have one month to go. In the short time I have been here, many of Summer's bounties have come and gone (strawberries, figs, blueberries, Peaches [I'm in Georgia], etc).

I want to be able to take the best of the season home with me by preserving, canning, etc. After scouring the internet and what books I have brought with me, I have found few good *tested* recipes for jellies, jams, preserves, marmalades, etc.

So, my question is.... what are your favorite recipes for making Summer's bounty last?

I make jams using the recipes in the SureJell box--strawberry, peach, blackberry, blueberry, fig.
I have also made jams and jellies not using the powdered pectin.
I like to make blueberry syrup--it is just blueberry "juice" and sugar boiled to just short of where it would become jelly.
Mango or peach chutney is a great "preserve" to make at this time. I believe I posted my recipe in the thread on this forum.
I am working on a pot of romtopf--adding the weekly seasonal fruits to rum to make a Christmas "potion" for gifts.
The peaches just keep coming with the season although ours in the South are just about finished, so if you are contemplating jelly or othe, it would be well to do it now.
I have also prepared the juices of the fruits as they come in and frozen them so as to make the preserves when it is cooler--or to make them fresh later in the winter.

I will add that blueberries and blackberries freeze very well just spread on a cookie sheet and frozen and then put in plastic bags for later use. I have also frozen figs. They are a bit soft but good to use broiled with some goat cheese on top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: