Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Going to Paris - but completely overwhelmed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardengirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Going to Paris - but completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

I am so excited to go to paris next week - but am overwhelmed with chioces....I've done all my homework and would LOVE some help narrowing down.

I am staying in the Marais. Will eat anything. Looking for the "only in Paris" type of experiences.

Quick question to start, what is the best food market and any help on finding definitive days? Most places I have found have been older listings.

Also, good place for a cheese tasting?

Some restaurants I am considering:
Chez Rene
Ardoise
Aux Lyonaisse
Mon Viel Ami
Les Papilles

Any thoughts? I'm looking for one dinner that is a bit nicer, but not more then about $250 for two people. Do any of these definitely need reservations?

The rest I hope to be medium range, but would consider splurging on lunch for something I couldn't afford at dinner. Am I missing something special?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for any help in making my choices less overwhelming!
Saskia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i absolutely adored the food and the whole ambiance at chez georges. it's the restaurant on top of the centre pompidou, horrendously expensive but i seem to remember they also do lunch. if you decide to go, and they still have the tarte aux fraises des bois as dessert, i can soooo recommend it. I was so openly enjoying it (i just didn't want to finish it, that's how good it was) that pretty much all the tables around us (they were not very far apart, i must say...) also decided to have the tartes for dessert, and they all loved it too. So there we were, on the roof of the centre pompidou, with a magnificent view over Paris-by-night, with a bunch of people that had never met before, becoming great friends over some tartes aux fraises. A lovely experience!
Lesley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Le Pamphlet which is right in the Marais. Excellent, just excellent.

Other musts would include: La Comptoir for lunch since you can't get in for dinner until January (the line might be long), Le P'tit Troquet in the 7th, Le Florimond in the 7th, Les Allobroges in the 20th.

And for a nice splurge, I would go to Senderens. Without wine it's about 90 euros per person. Depends on how much you drink I suppose!!

Another nice Parisian restaurant that is about 90 euros per person is Jacques Cagna in the 6th. Very nice atmosphere, great food.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dear friend you should partake on a sweet promenade on rue bonaparte and spend hours and money savoring the precious pastries and Ladurée and Pierre Hermé. That is my personal pilgrimage everytime I have a few hours to kill in between two trains.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are heaps of suggestions under other topics for restaurants and markets. You might like to browse back through the archives and see what has come up previously.

The marches at Edgar Quinet on wednesday and saturday mornings are great. I also like the marche bio at Batignoles on saturday morning. If you want a really crowded ethnic market, try out the marche at Barbes on wednesday and saturday mornings. Be warned though that it is a crush and keep a good hold on your handbag. I have never had any trouble there and feel quite comfortable walking through Barbes and the marche and quite frequently do it on my own..., but my husband doesn't like it and other friends have commented that they didn't feel comfortable there.

There are some fabulous restaurants in Paris. I would just wander and look at menus. It is perfectly acceptable to stop and read a menu and walk off again to check out the next resto. I would however stay out of the touristy areas as you will pay more and may not get as good a quality meal as you would in a non touristique part of Paris.

I agree with walking along drooling at teh window displays of the patisseries... I gain kilos just thinking about it... Wink They are a visual feast that tastes scrumptious too! Laughing Maybe you do that at breakfast time and then cruise menus for lunch and dinner?

Have fun!
azul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lunch at Ardoise in May. Every single person there was a tourist and was toting at least one guide book. Nevertheless the food was delicious and the portions were huge. However there is only a prix fixe option and it was more food (and euros) than I wanted.
azul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the Marais, try Miriam's (I think that's what it was called). Jewish/Middle Eastern food. The roasted fennel and artichoke salad was one of the best things I ate on my whole trip.
azul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if I give you the actual name of the restaurant. oops!

Chez Marianne in the Marais at 2, rue des Hospitalieres St. Gervais, tel 01 42 72 18 86.
Feaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: LUCKY YOU!! But listen to the Pros! Reply with quote

There are soo many good restaurants in Paris, it's dizzying. You're bound to find some good things with all of these suggestions, even just walking around you'll find some good spots. But don't be afraid to listen to the pros on this one...Paris dining scene is just too big. There are some great sites that give full breakdowns and reivews of restaurants all over Paris, and the rest of France too. Try GaultMillau, they're old school and know what they're talking about when it comes to food in France...they went online with all of their listings @ www.gayot.com. They've got a good page dedicated to the best summer dining in Paris, www.gayot.com/restaurants/features/france/summer.html A great list because if you're there in the summer, you shouldn't let those seasonal flavors of French cuisine pass you up. (or the chefs that are away in the mediterrenean somewhere on vacation). That's why if your going to visit, trust the pros--It's Worth It!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: