Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Mussel Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Mussel Soup Reply with quote

I share this soup taking no credit for it in any way. I didn't even watch the FoodNetwork show that it was on. All the credit goes to Brother Rick Curry, SJ, Sara Moulton and Rachel in that order.

I had the wisdom to give Rach my credit card and serve as sous chef in cleaning the mussels. If she shows up at your door and says "I wanna make some mussel soup I saw on TV" I recommend you do the same!

This has rich balanced flavor and a generous supply of those delicious mussels. And they were perfectly tender owing to being added for a re-warm only at the very end.

Mussel Soup Billy Bi
Serves 6

• 2 quarts uncooked mussels in shells (about 3 pounds)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 4 shallots, finely chopped
• 3 sprigs parsley
• 1/4 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1 1/2 to 2 cups fish broth or 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
• 2 cups heavy cream
• Salt
• Chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Discard any mussels that have opened. Scrape off barnacles and scrub mussels with a stiff brush under running water; drain.

In a 4 to 5-quart kettle over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the paprika and shallots and cook, stirring, until soft but not brown. Add the mussels in shells, parsley, peppercorns, and wine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the mussels open (about 6 to 8 minutes). Discard any mussels that remain closed.

Remove the mussels from the liquid. Strain the liquid through a dampened cloth and measure it. Add fish broth to make 4 cups. Return liquid to the kettle (rinsed to remove any sand).

Remove the mussels from the shells, discarding the shells. Pinch out and discard any "beards" from the mussels.

To the liquid, add the cream. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat slightly, and boil until the soup is reduced by about one-fourth. Lower heat to medium. Taste and add salt, if needed. Add the mussels and cook until just heated through. Serve hot or chilled, garnished with parsley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: