Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

pearls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: pearls Reply with quote

have recently seen an exhibition on pearls at the museum in Sydney..

this quote from Fellini: "All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography."

WHAT a thought!

read a piece today about Jackie Kennedy's necklace...went for thousands of $s ~ not real pearls at all...the power of a name Wink

in the blink of an eye I can picture all types of pearls...the gems of the sea..'n then there's that giant pearl we call the moon..

that oh so magical pearl....keeping an eye on us methinks..

any pearl stories?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad short pearl story: I have always secretly stupidly hoped to find one in every oyster/clam/mussel I have ever opened.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that' an interesting exhibit.

I used to think that gems were boring. Of course, I was thinking of jewelry which has never been as interesting to me as beads. Then I went to the Minerals & Gems permanent exhibit at the LA Museum of Natural History. They show them to marvelous advantage in dark rooms where you can marvel at the diversity of their color and form in their natural state before you wander into the vault where they have precious stones cut to maximum effect. It's all just stunning from the geometric fractiles of natural crystals to the fragile tentacle-like forms to the cut and polished perfection of precious gems!

They may have a pearl or two among the precious gems. But nothing, I'm sure, like you'd have in your part of the world. I bet there's lots to see about the genesis and extraodinary specimen.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, your secret's a pearl. It's like a shiny little gingerpale gem. Smile
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Gingerpale.

Anyone remember the pearl diving scene in Tampopo?
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe anyone else has seen Tampopo! Such a funny flic, and so obscure!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I today tried to put Tampopo on my Netflix list--but it's not on dvd yet! Sounds really good and really hilarious.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I'm waiting for Yentl to come out on DVD. My favorite DVD for when I'm feeling down. I think Blockbuster has Tampopo though. Netflix rocks! Gingerpale, if you're interested, send me a PM and we can be Netlix friends to share movie recommendations.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetbabyjames--how nice of you, but why keep our recommends to ourselves! I've never seen Yentl, should I?
I already have about 120 in my Netflix list, but Rich and I take turns. We hardly ever go out to a movie, Netflix has been perfect so far. I haven't even seen Brokeback Mtn. yet! We have many many to look forward to. Surely there's a "great movies" thread we can resurrect.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale wrote:
Surely there's a "great movies" thread we can resurrect.

Oh, let's DO! Anyone seen "My Life So Far"? It's a completely charming reminiscence of a guy who grew up in the 20s on a Scottish estate with a large somewhat eccentric family. It's a little movie that I don't think had much distribution but still had Collin Firth and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. Catch it if you can. It's sweet and funny and touching.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brokeback wasn't uplifting enough for me. A bit of a downer, but I'm sensitive that way. Yentl is a MUST SEE! It's supposed to come out on DVD some time in 2006. A classic, very powerful and feminist.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah gingerpale...Brokeback...my fingers stopped typing for a while..still...that story....

when you do see it, take yourself to the Brokeback thread...and post away...I'll be delighted to chat...

am looking at the latest dvd pics from the video shop (we will soon have to call them the dvd shop!) Being Julia, and The Notebook (haven't as yet seen) Iris, and Sylvia ~ both seen and second viewing time

the language gifts those women gave us ~ complex deep and of the earth and beyond...

let's go to the movies...shall I start a thread?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! have realised there's not a mention of 'pearls' or things pearlish in my last post...

begging forgiveness ~ 'specially from the magnificently eagle-eyed Jude Wink
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, madame. And as for The Notebook, keep a box of tissue nearby! Crying or Very sad
simona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ, I do believe many have seen Tampopo. There was a thread about food in movies, or movies about food, and Tampopo was frequently mentioned.
As for Yentl, it's a wonderful movie. I'm not sure feminism is the main idea, though it can be called a feminist movie. It deals with a very big issue in Judaism: the interdiction of woman to learn in a Yeshiva, to become a Rabbi ( similar in a way to the Catholic interdiction of women to be priests and to conduct mass).
I haven't seen Brokeback either. Maybe after the war.

No more war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: