Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

How did you discover Chocolate & Zucchini?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like MarieC, I have no idea how I found this site! - I believe that is called serendipity "to happen upon by chance". I can only assume I was 'googling' something, but I cannot imagine it was either chocolate or Zucchini (what is that anyway - a courgette?!)

This is my first post, but already I am becoming an avid daily reader - to add to the various other messageboards I read from around the world.
That's why they call it the present ....
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champ. welcome to C&Z and I'm hoping that you can answer a question for me ......

Is there a difference between champ and colcannon?

I keep meaning to start a thread on potatoes and the variations of the mashed variety.

But I digress, perhaps you call yourself 'Champ' for an entirely different reason.

Welcome anyway.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your welcome, Judy!

Yes, I did indeed call myself after the 'national dish of Norn Iron' Smile

Colcannon has cabbage and potatoes as the main ingredients, whereas champ has scallions (spring onions to some) and potatoes. Both add butter and milk to reach the right consistency. My grandmother made great champ - she was born in 1879, died in 1969 aged 90), and she served it on your place in a round shape, made a little hollow in the middle filled with butter which melted quite soon. Oh ..... childhood memories! (she also made marvelous soup)

I actually joined this forum to reply to the girl who is going to live in Galway ... will get round to that eventually. I have a lot of catching up to do, reading all the posts!
That's why they call it the present ....
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my first taste of Colcannon at a company potluck not long ago. The fellow added beer, carraway seed and cheddar cheese. It was delicious.

What other secrets are you Irish keeping over there? Smile
cjcollett

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a client who makes the very best truffles I've tasted (OK, not quite as good as Fran's but it's more like they're different than not as good). Anyway, I was looking for various chocolate sites for her and ran across Chocolate & Zucchini. I love it, even though I have far less time to read than I'd like.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Cynthia, nice to see someone from WA. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

We're going to spend this December with our friends who live near Mt Vernon, WA. Where is Bremerton in relation to, say, Seattle? I know, I should look for it myself, but I've just finished working a night shift and my brain's not working properly at the moment.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
cjcollett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to look it up--I'm only about 15 miles west of Seattle but it's an hour on the ferry or well over an hour by car--lots of water.

How lovely you get to spend a month here--of course you realize it will be mid-winter and so it is likely to be cloudy and rainy the whole time you're here. It might not be but it usually is. There may even be a wee bit of snow but that rarely lasts more than a few hours.

You'll enjoy yourself. The thing I remembeer most from my friend from Perth (well, we only knew each other for a couple of days but she felt like a friend) is that the biggest difference she noticed in food is that we put lots of filling between two slices of tasteless fluff we call bread and you put a little bit of filling between two slices of hearty bread. She thought she felt more satisfaction from one of the sandwiches she ate at home than one she ate here. I found that very interesting.

Thanks for the welcome! It's good to be here.
charlsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I stumbled upon C&Z while searching for a recipe, about 2 or 3 years ago. Luckiest find on the Net ! I have been a regular reader ever since. I'm enthralled by Clotilde's elegant writing and cool witty tone. Plus some of her recipes are really great !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: