Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Squash Blossoms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Squash Blossoms Reply with quote

It's finally squash blossom season here in the Midwest of the USA. I spotted them at the farmer's market today and bought the last 3 bunches that the farmer had.
My typical recipe is a Mexican squash blossom soup, but I'm looking for some good new recipes. I've found a few for cheese stuffed and fried ones--but not too much else.
What else do people do with these wonderful flowers?

Emmet
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put them into risotto. As far as I remember saffron is a nice additional spice for that recipe. At least this is tasty with zucchini blossoms, which is sort of squash as well.
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this section is for recipes rather than discussion, but out of curiosity, what is a "bunch" of zucchini blossoms (how many?) and how much were you charged where you live?

Here in a big city on the east coast where only one stand at the market I frequent sells them, they go for around $3 for 3-4 flowers, so I buy them rarely. Wish you got more for that price.

Therefore, when I do indulge, I just go for my favorite: a light, tempera batter, eaten instantly with plenty of really good salt. Also like stuffing flowers with cheese (ricotto & Parm with basil) and doing the same thing.

I have had them shredded in risotto, but was disappointed, though other people swear by them this way; they like the subtlety. If you find you do, too, try slicing them very thinly and sauteeing them to add to a frittata or omelet or to a light soup along with the squash.
Cake Lady Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Another lost person with flowers Reply with quote

I am curious, are squash blossoms the same as zucchini blossoms? I was just given a small bunch of zucchini flowers (6 to be exact) and I am not sure what to do with them as well. Someone mentioned to me that there is a French omlet zucchini flower recipe out there... somewhere. Has anyone ever heard of this or have another recipe to share?
Deste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another lost person with flowers Reply with quote

Cake Lady Mandy wrote:
I am curious, are squash blossoms the same as zucchini blossoms?

Yes.

The English word "squash" is usually divided into the categories of winter and summer varities. Winter squash are hard-shelled with stringy cores filled with seeds (like their relatives, gourds, from the Cucurbaticeae Family: pumpkins, for example) while the term "summer squash" is used interchangeably to distinguish elongated, (ideally) small yellow squash that appear at this time of year from dark green zucchini (a 19th-C development), or to classify both in opposition to winter squash.

There are now lots of different kinds of summer squash available including patty pan, squat, round with scalloped sides; globe-shaped zucchini, earlier, pale green types, some with ridges, some bright yellow zucchini, some half green, half yellow. Conduct an online search. All have flowers, the ones from males, bigger.

If your blossoms are still fresh, I strongly recommend trying them fried in a light batter. Hazan: Pour 1 cup of water into a shallow bowl and use a whisk or fork to beat 2/3 cup of flour into the water, adding it gradually by using a sieve. (Maintain these proportions but cut down amount for only 6 flowers.)

Carefully clean flowers by opening them up gently with fingers and dipping them in a bowl of water. Dry on paper towel. Take out stemen or pistel (sp? always mix these up) if you'd like to add a light stuffing of ricotta mixed with basil and Parmesan cheese. Twist ends of blossoms tight after filling. But you might try them without filling first.

Heat light vegetable oil in sautee pan, so that it measures a little less than the height/length of your smallest finger nail.

Dip the flowers in batter one by one and then drop in oil. Turn when lightly golden, drain, sprinkle with excellent salt and eat AT ONCE. Good in sandwiches, too.

Omelet: Simply saute thin strips of the cleaned flowers in butter with chiffonade of fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper. Put aside. Make an omelet as you normally do, only add the sauteed flowers either immediately so they become part of the egg or once omelet is nearly set, as part of a filling along with plenty of cheese. You might wish to pour stripes of a light tomato sauce on top of the folded omelet.
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. There is a very long discussion of zucchini blossoms under "Resources" here. Look down the list and you should see it on the first page.
AZCook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Squash Blossoms Reply with quote

Emmet wrote:
It's finally squash blossom season here in the Midwest of the USA. I spotted them at the farmer's market today and bought the last 3 bunches that the farmer had.
My typical recipe is a Mexican squash blossom soup, but I'm looking for some good new recipes. I've found a few for cheese stuffed and fried ones--but not too much else.
What else do people do with these wonderful flowers?

Emmet

Hi,
Am most interested in your squash blossom soup. We have a glut of flowers on our plants right now and I too am looking for recipes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: