Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

food, photos, history...one such

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: food, photos, history...one such Reply with quote

how about this...as my breath has been taken away!...a photo of a tarte Tatin on the ORIGINAL stove the Tatin gals used to use...the faded and cracked blue 'n white tiles are speaking to me....THEY ARE!
everything speaks...if we only take time to listen..

It's funny, the photo is in a book published in 1994...the tarte is resting on a glass plate that looks quite dated...

so there is dated appealing, and dated not-so appealing!....at least to my eyes at the moment..

intriguing isn't it...that one moment something can appeal and a few whatevers later it doesn't...

fickle eyes Wink

I'd love to read of the photos linked to food history..that have touched your spirits..
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband often photographs my food, his way of telling me he's proud. The pictures show the evolution of my skill, from the start of culinary school, to the grand showcasing toward the end. Finally when I went beyond the flourish of school and found my own style. My favorite are the ones he took right after we got married. We had been given Apilco dishes and serving peices in all white, everything looks good on them.

Any picture of chilies or coffee being dried in the sun. Or mounds of spices sold in India or Pakistan always get me. I think that is part of the reason I love The Souk so much. It is this amazing sanctuary for spices and obscure ingredients. The owner is this quiet little Pakistani man, that I completely adore. He usually doesn't say much to the customers but I always get him to teach me about new ingredients.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: