Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Buenos Aires, Argentina, Terra del Fuego?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Buenos Aires, Argentina, Terra del Fuego? Reply with quote

I have just booked a trip that I've been dreaming about for a very long time: I'm going to Antarctica!!
And since I'll be flying to Buenos Aires a good six days before, that'll give me some time. Time for...???? That's where I need your help. My plan was just to enjoy BA for a couple of days, see the city, maybe learn some tango, then fly down to Ushuaia, enjoy the wonders of Antarctica and fly home, maybe with another night or two in BA. My travelagent told me there are a couple of other wonderful things to do in those extra days, and I might even have some days after the cruise.So, experts...are there things I simply CANNOT miss when there?
Suggestions were:
-Iguazu falls (2 or 3 days)
-Colonia in Urugugay (1 full day, possible from BA)
-1, 2, 3 days/nights Patagonia/Terre del Fuego

My goal is not to fit in as much as I possibly can, but to relax and enjoy as much as I possibly can!

My thoughts are this: If I'm going to see so much beauty, ice, nature...how much waterfalls or glaciers might I need/want???
So this is where I need your help! All advice is welcome, also on Buenos Aires....(what/where/to eat, be, shop, have coffe, sit and enjoy...)

Thanks!

Last edited by swan on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, Swan! When are you going? My brother- and sister-in-law are going to Antarctica in December.

I haven't been, but it's on the list of things to do .....

How long will your whole trip be?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
swan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably fly out of Amsterdam on jan 20st, arrive in BA on sunday the 21st. Depending on what I decide to do I'll fly down to Ushuaia on saturday jan 27, sail the 28th for two weeks. Back on land on feb 10, and fly back home somewhere between feb 10 and 13.
So all together a little over 3 weeks.
'My'ship is the Professor Molchanov, a smaller former Russian expedition/research ship with max 50 passengers.
And we'll cross the southpolecircle!!

What are your brother ans s-i-l planning?
Saudades

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you beat me to it, Swan!!!!!!!! my house is full of Antartica penguine cards! and i already got the guide book even Embarassed ideally i want to fly in to BA and check out the city for a few days, then go down Ushuaia for a few days to arrange the ship/trip. 3 weeks in Antartica. then probably have to go back to BA if i want to fly back via Sidney, then Perth. 7 weeks. bad for the wallet, good for my head Very Happy waiting to cash in on those stock options! looking forward to hearing your trip 'report' Smile
swan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Saudades, that's exactly what is it: bad for the wallet, good for the head!
Goodluck in planning your trip, I also have the 'lonely planet Antarctica'as bedside literature right now! (and if nothing else it's a fun place to have a guidebook from!)
julietgb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan, I'm glad that you'll visit my beautiful country Very Happy . I was thinking about you gooing to the waterfalls, and they are really beautiful and amazing, but January is summer in Argentina, and in Misiones the humidity is quite a thing, but if you are coming from the cold, maybe you'd like it.

I know you have a lot of questions, if you like you can contact me by mail and ask me everything you need to enjoy yours stay.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan what a great adventure to look forward to. I think it would be a great experience. I hope you have a wonderful time. I've several friends who have been and loved it. Except one who complained about the smell of penguin pee (can I say that here?).
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Barbara, you just did!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
simona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dear Swan, good for you , you're really brave! you are going to fulfill ( also) my husband's dream!!
Antarctica is high on his agenda( never on mine snow and pinguins are not my cup of tea) I even tried to organize a trip for him in 2000 ( his 60th birthday) but the cost was really prohibitive for us. ( and year 2000 was especially expensive). Maybe for his 70th.
But he will be in Argentina next week, for a professional Congress ( journalists) and also one week of skiing in the Andes.
You adventurous people!!
I confess I'm not very interested in too much nature, but Haim does, so we compromise. But Antarctica he will have to do alone. I'm waiting for your impressions.

No more war. More pinguins (Barbara, can a perfumed handkerchief help??)
Saudades

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's coming true it's coming true.....

i'll be there there next chrissie! woohoooooo
6 weeks travelling around Argentina, including 11 days to and from Antarctica Very Happy as the purse is emptied, the heart is filled. nice to be Aries [yes the sun sign], you see we're no talkers.

greetings! it's been a while since my last post. glad to hear more people have discovered caldo verde [btw, pronounced cal-doo verd] cheers Wink
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Saudades!!!!! But I have to ask----where is FOOD HELL!!!????
swan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudades, that is wonderful, have a fantastic time!! And enlighten me, which company, which ship?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: