Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: need advice Reply with quote

My daughter (22) will be a teaching asstant in Paris (well, actually way outside of but prefers to live in Paris) and wants to rent an appartment in the 9th. (rue Rodier)....Is it a safe area for a young woman to live??? She has lived in Paris before but on the left bank ....thx for any help
Lesley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melinda,
I would say the southern part of Rue Rodier is better than the northern part, which goes into the Boulevard Rochechouart and all its crowds. The 9th isn't the most charming part of Paris, for sure, but that's what makes it affordable.
Has she checked out places in the 11th or 20th? Also affordable but nicer.

Lesley
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Leslie, I had a feeling it wasn't the best place to be.....she has moved onto something in the 13th, which I feel better about.....now she just needs a 2nd job to pay for it!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you Melinda - an excuse to vist Paris a couple of times a year.
melinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of times....I wish....at these prices I'm not sure I can afford to fly her home.......but I do hope to go one time...will have to pick an off time, but then it'll be too cold to walk much!
minty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I wouldn't say that the 13th is safer than the 9th...the contrary in fac t (I'm 28 and live in Paris)
where will she be teaching ? i hope not in the suburbs ?
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gobelins area seemed pretty safe to me....we stayed in a hotel there a couple of years ago.....she is being assigned to a primary school in a town past DeGaulle airport ! It's called Dammartin en Goele...she will have to take a long train ride each way.....but she still would rather live in Paris....it's gonna be quite a trek !
minty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've no doubt she' d rather live in Paris , but she'll soon get fed up with the commuting .... Wink
Lesley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the RER B she should be fine. It's not a huge trip. I used to commute from Choisy le Roi to the 5th every day, it took about 30 minutes, no big deal.

I think she'll be good in the 13th. You're right about the Gobelins area...very residential.

I hope she has the time of her LIFE.
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woaw ! Commuting from the 13th to Charles de Gaulle ! Subway plus RER plus maybe a bus ! Mind you, the 13th is a great place, I lived there for 9 years, between place d'Italie and rue de Tolbiac. Probably cheaper than the Gobelins area by the way.
I left Paris 6 years ago, so I don't know how some neighboroods evolved, but there are small towns in the immediate suburban area, like Les Lilas, who are really nice, very close to Paris, and maybe more practical for her. My brother has a house in Romainville, next to Les Lilas, he's 5 minutes away from Porte des Lilas subway station, 15 mns from the center of Paris.
Still, it's a thrilling move ! Though I wouldn't want to make it again ! I love living near Bordeaux. But do admit to missing all the good things of Paris... Movies in english, bookstores, the marché St Pierre, seeing the back of Notre Dame at sunrise, while crossing the Seine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't live in that area, I do head down there quite frequently. As with all areas of Paris it is as safe as you make it.

If she is mindful of danger and prepared for any eventuallity she will be fine. This includes not wearing earphones and listening to music while commuting and walking. There have been a spate of women mugged because they could not hear people approaching them... but I understand from my Mum that the same thing has been happening in Australia, so it is not a "Paris thing" only.

I used to work evenings in a rather nasty area near Republique and would catch the metro and bus home on my own at 11pm or later with no problems. People are out and about later and the public transport is more popular than in a lot of other countries.

What a wonderful opportunity for her. Well done!
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ....love all the tips....from what I can tell from the RER maps, she will have to take a train, not an RER to get to this little town....or an RER then a train or bus, and who knows how close the school is to a bus stop....but at 22, one is unconcerned.....I am much more worried about the commute than she....she still doesn't know where she is living and will wait till she gets there in mid month to look at apts first....and interview roommates (scary for mom !) She has been in London working in a pub all summer & said she feels much safer in paris.....will keep u posted on housing searches...none of them cheap...she is lucky to be doing this....there aren't many jobs non-EU people can get in France
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

thought I'd give an update on what happened with the apt hunt.....after only a couple of days of hunting my daughter found a seemingly great situation.....a woman in the 16th whose children are grown rents out rooms...there are 2 other 22 yr olds there and they have use of the kitchen......so at least she isn't in a studio all alone....and the neighborhood couldn't be better....and the lady is a teacher at the Sorbonne, so will speak beautiful and perfect french to the american borders! Only a couple of blocks from the Bois de Boulogne for jogging too (as long as it's still daylight !)
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Melinda. Sounds ideal and I'm slightly, actually really, envious of your daughter.
minty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great....I live in the 16th too, actually, and I would definitely advice her to avoid the Bois after nightfall...how does she find the commuting ? if she wants advise, or maybe even meet me for a coffee, she's very welcome to contact me - you can send me a mp, and I'll give you my email address Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: