Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

c&z dinner by proxy challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: c&z dinner by proxy challenge Reply with quote

Just thought of a game for us, loosely inspired by Blog By Mail. Here's the idea. We somehow randomly select a name. Then we have to research that person's tastes based on their posts in the forum. We create a special meal menu for them that we know they'll enjoy making for themselves. Suggestions could range from simple, personal faves to sophisticated & challenging.

The rules would be we have to give responsibly with honest consideration to the other's tastes (or distastes - this isn't Fear Factor) and follow the suggestions or recipes given to us in full faith that the giver has invested careful thought in them.

We could choose specific dates to make our menus and share the results online, so it would be a sort of C&Z party by proxy.

What do you think?
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, I was thinking of some sort of kitchen-exchange. Rather than buying gifts, we pick things from our own kitchen that we'd like to share. Like my massive teacup collection, for example (I could spare a few). Or the widget I used to use but don't really anymore.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea one sounds quite time consuming. I like the idea of passing something on from my kitchen...or maybe a cookbook.
Deste

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first idea, although there may be some fairly new members with few posts who might still like to join in. It might be difficult to guess preferences unless they've got a well-established food blog of their own. However, I'd rather develop a menu and provide a short explanation of choices than actually make the meal. In any case, the spirit of creativity behold the proposal is terrific and it is more doable than hopping on a plane in costumes and getting to madameshawshank's party on time...though I know precisely what I would serve her if given the chance! Wink
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, upon further reflection, I think I agree with you. A $0 budget exchange would be fun - favorite kitchen gadgets, homemade recipe books, baskets, potholders.

Anyone else?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetbabyjames, I'll be honest here and mark myself as mean forever, probably. If this group were smaller and had "known" each other longer (like it was during the "Blog by Mail" thread) these are of course goodfun warmhearted ideas! But I'd hate to ask someone to pay $10-$15 postage from England (modest size package) or even $20--$30 from Australia, JUST for postage!

I went back and read the "Blog by Mail" thread, and I envied the comraderie, and everyone was thrilled,--- BUT I noticed there were only 2 who signed up to do it again, so it was cancelled. Please don't hate me, and I'd love to be proved wrong! (If someone wishes to send me a carefully chosen large expensive gift....JOKE!--bad one).
I just have reservations about the logistics for this plan, I guess.
Feel free to call me gingerpaltry or stingyginger from now on.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, it's not mean at all but realistic.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wonderful time blogging by mail both on C&Z and out in the net but my kitchen is gone and so, alas, are so many of the interesting people who once seemed like next-door-neighbors-who-happened-to-live-in-other-countries-and-on-other-coasts.

If anyone happens to be interested in more blogging my mail, you can still sign up for this one: http://thehappysorceress.blogspot.com/2006/08/blogging-by-mail-is-back.html
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, whatever do you mean "my kitchen is gone" ? Just remodeling, I hope?

I think even in real life (as opposed to internet) most people are acquaintances, only 1 or 2 are friends. I would define "friend" as someone who would fly across ocean or continent immediately if asked. Or loan significant $$ without question.
People get enthused but lose interest, it's too bad.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the mailing costs can be very high (especially from NZ) to anywhere in the world. I recently paid $20 to post a Donna Hay magazine to Asia.

Rainey - Yes what did you mean "my kitchen is gone".

I think you have to have a food/wine blog to participate in the current Blog By Mail at Happy Sorceress. A good excuse to start one!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our kitchen is old and small. And our appliances have been going out, one after the other. For about 2 or 3 months I haven't had an oven or a stovetop and what I cook gets done on 1 hotplate, the microwave or the grill. OR my ice cream maker! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We always knew the time would come when we'd have to re-do the kitchen. We just forgot we'd have 3 kids to put through college and retirement looming. Shocked ...and how much we suck at making actual decisions. Confused

But anyone who wants to stop by for a tuna sandwich and some ice cream is aways welcome! Wink

PS Thanks for the correction about the blogging by mail. Perhaps since I already knew I couldn't participate this time I didn't read very carefully. Still, perhaps it will be fun for someone. Are you doing it?
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey - I love a good tuna sandwich. Perhaps I will drop by one day! And yes I've put my name forward to the current BBM. I've some ideas to keep the weight down.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo! I would pull out the beads and we could have some fun!

Mabbee uncork some of that limoncello too and make bead sandwiches and matching tuna bracelets. Wink
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: