Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Magazines for foodies!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook's

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
gisele

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with all the praise for Delicious, it is a beautiful magazine. The only problem I do have with it though is that there is alot of ingredients that I can't get here in New Zealand. I pick up copies whenever I can afford it, or whenver I need a magazine hit.

I have found a relatively new magazine here in New Zealand, which is our version of Delicious I guess, called Taste. I subscribe to this one.

http://www.taste.co.nz/

Our local supermarket chain has there own quarterly magazine as well, so I tend to buy that one too.

And sometimes I will buy Cuisine (NZ version) or another magazine called Dish, but they tend to be quite expensive and I'm not really fond of their photographic layouts.

Other than that, my local bookstore, while having a large range of magazines doesn't stock many food mags from overseas due to suppliers. So I don't tend to see alot of these magazines that people have been talking about.
elegantsufficiency

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Saveur Reply with quote

I so agree on Saveur. I love the way it tells the story of food as it relates to culture. I find Donna's stuff stunning to look at but ultimately pretty shallow and contrived. I don't get to see many of the other US magazines mentioned (in Australia we see Gourmet mostly).... are there any others that take a food-culture approach like Saveur that I should be hunting down?
ES
Heather

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I was reading a local Massachusetts newspaper and there was a blurb that Delicious is going to try the market here in the US. I believe copies should be available in some bookstore, supermarkets, Target, etc. within the next several weeks.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news about Delicious, but isn't it already in the US? I thought I saw it in Borders when we were there at the end of last year. It would have been the UK edition, which is geared for the northern hemisphere seasons.

It's my favourite magazine, the current one has lots of great winter recipes in it including a Persian feast and bistro recipes from Melbourne's best bistros, but no salads. Too cold!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Heather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can buy it here, but the one they are going to start selling is specifically for the US.

From the LA Daily News:

http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_4008426
Judy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Heather. Wow, from humble beginnings less than 5 years ago to 3 separate publications. Good for them! It's still my favourite mag, and the one I reach for first when I want some ideas, some info, or even travel info.

We were in China a few months ago, and last October Delicious did a fairly comprehensive article on Shanghai which we referred to constantly during the week we were there.

rosie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...

Food and Wine
Bon Appetit
Everyday Food (a Martha Stewart mini-mag that is all food/recipes)
Cooking Light
and just recently, Cooks Illustrated (although I have yet to get my first issue).

My mom subscribes to Gourmet and Sunset (not just food and cooking) and she shares those with me when she's done as do I with my old ones.
Saudades

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are going to have a full page with UK-Aussie-US ingredient names and measurements like Australia's Women Weekly for the US market? Smile
David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone---check out Saudades pictures and descrptions of food fromher China-Tibet trip---Wonderful!!

Thanks for sharing Saudades.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy of Donna Hay. It's the first time I've ever seen it here and now I'm off to see if it's as stylish and promising inside as that cover that grabbed me before I saw the name.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love it, Rainey! I promise. What's on the front cover? Is it the same magazine as the one we get here in Australia?

Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
You'll love it, Rainey! I promise. What's on the front cover? Is it the same magazine as the one we get here in Australia?

I wondered myself, Judy, since produce would be available and would be out of synch. There is no month designation on the cover. It's issue #27 with dark brown cupcakes on a pale teal cover. Color seems important to this publication.

I found it very stylish, indeed, but wondered at some of the pale inks on white pages and dark inks on dark pages. Apparently, this mag is for folks with young eyes. Wink

I'm going to try the apple pie cupcakes as soon as I have an oven again.
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same as our #27, Rainey. We're up to #28 now and I agree with you about the dark on dark - it's hard on the eyes.

But the ideas and recipes are great.

madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone mentioned Dish(can't remember and am a bit pressed for time..as they say)...from NZ...beautiful mag...

the latest is on slow cooking....had intended reading it during any spare minutes in an oh so brief visit to Melb...we had 2 cars...10 people...lots of trips to airports etc...my son spotted the mag...hadn't come across it in NZ...the look in the eyes....oh ok....as long as you promise to cook something from it..and send me the photo of said food...

the latest Oz Gourmet is celebrating 40th birthday...I look at the covers of some of the earliest editions...yep..got that one...yep...yep....fascinating to look back at the style of photography...let alone what we were eating...

love this thread 'cause I'm a bit of a mag junkie...and feel I'm with fellow folk...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: