Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

ok songbirds...beloved first lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: ok songbirds...beloved first lines Reply with quote

While walking a bridge to bridge walk this morning, I couldn't help but be dazzled by the light on the river. So bright I could scarcely look...it reminded me of the Paul Simon song "Graceland"...and the first lines I love so much...

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar

....as was the Nepean River this morn!

care to share lyrics you doth love?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how 'bout "Why don't we do it in the road? No one will be watching us, why don't we do it in the road?" Both rousing and sweet, that one.

But seriously I think a classic is
"Summertime and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Your Daddy's rich and your Ma is good-lookin'
Hush little baby, don't you cry."

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone out there know "Wonderful Town"...1966 saw me singing the lyrics to that musical nonstop if I remember...yep..a year I reckon...I actually fell in love with it Wink
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are times that walk from you like some passing afternoon."

Iron & Wine, Passing Afternoon
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, there are times like that
charlsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you were here, the Pink Floyd :

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail
A smile from a veil
Do you think you can tell
Did they get you to trade
Yours heroes for ghosts
Hot ashes for trees
Hot air for a cool breeze
Cold comfort for change
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in a war
For a leading role
In a cage
How, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old grounds
What have we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here
Well, I'd say that's one of the most beautiful songs I know, with maybe Eleanor Rigby. And of course "The wall" is, in my humble opinion, the greatest album ever written; Such powerful lyrics and music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlsy, I can hear it..while reading...isn't that the power of the piece! Couldn't help but sing along as I read...
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a marvelous song, and add the wonderful music... perfection. I do love that album. As with most of Pink Floyd's work, it's not a collection of songs, but a concept piece. No really catchy pieces like "another brick in the wall", but beautiful haunting words and music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many songs that I love, and depending on my mood I could list anything really...

This morning the sun is out (after weeks of rain here in Paris apparently) and the kitties are coming in to welcome me back with purrs and smooges. It is one of those perfect mornings, so I have my cd called "Swoon" on. It is a compilation of classical music that is guaranteed to make you swoon - hence the name. Used to be a song a day on ABC radio with the announcer Christopher Lawrence.

If you can get hold of a copy I highly recommend it. Absolutely gorgeous music that literally transports you to a higher plane while listening.

P.S. The kitties love it too... Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: ok songbirds...beloved first lines Reply with quote

I can't really listen to music while I'm cooking or I end up concentrating on the music!! Ahem and I don't want to eat anything I've cooked after that!

But hearing the line: Denis, Denis, I gotta crush on you,... always makes me sit up, take notice and turn the radio/cd player up! Anything by the Beatles makes me do the same. Also, the Ramones, New York Dolls and Mozart's Clarinet Concerto stops me in my tracks. I love that piece of music almost viscerally and I don't know why.

The one piece of music that always has me smiling and giggling tho' is Rossini's Cats Duet. I love cats anyway, but hearing two sensible and respectable sopranos singing 'meow' at each other is too wonderful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: