Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A HUGE Project!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRoszak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: A HUGE Project!! Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend any Recipe Database Software. I have tons 'o cookbooks, loose recipes, scraps of paper, ect laying around. If I do one thing before I die it will be to organize my recipes and possibly create cookbooks for my 2 daughters from them.
I'd like to hear some reviews from those of you who have used them!!
Help!! I'm drowning in recipes!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping my recipes in a database for years and I highly recommend the practice. This thread has the responses I got when I brought up this subject some time ago: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=466&highlight=database

Short version: for me, on a Mac, MacGourmet has been super. PC users have many more options and I hope there's helpful info there about them.

When you chose a program, check with the manufacturer. Many have helps for importing. I bit the bullet and did my imports by hand but, even so, the versatility of the database makes it well-worth the set-up work. Epicurious is a great online resource. You can copy in recipes from Gourmet and Bon App├ętit from the current issues and going back a decade and more. And often there are photos you can import to your DB as well. Other useful online sites are King Arthur Flour (if you're a baker), Sunset magazine, food sections of major newspapers and, of course, C&Z. I'm sure you'll find others.

Finding the same or a similar recipe online can help eliminate a lot of typing and, in my case, a lot of unfortunate typos that are much harder to spot in a recipe than they are in prose.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Sometimes when I want to get a recipe in my database and I'm gonna hafta type it out, I simply do it here. Here, I can comparatively quickly type it out into a text screen and then I can copy it whole into the Directions/Method field of my database. Later, I clean it up into the proper fields and add keywords so that I can scale it up/down, search on keywords or create shopping lists from it. But the important thing is I got a recipe into my database before I moved on and forgot something important or forgot about it altogether.
DRoszak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: A HUGE Project!! Reply with quote

Thanks Rainey!! Very helpful!!
Looking to get a program with the most options to make this project the easiest and most useful to me when I'm done (this should take me into my golden years..Hee hee!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: