Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Documentaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
"The Falling Man" was recently shown on television. The title is from one of the photos of people falling ....September 11. It was a powerful piece. Have you seen it?

Yes I saw it Madame- it was very interesting, very sad though I felt so sorry for the relatives. Also disturbing thinking about what I would do in that situation...horrifying really.

not sure about the Cane toads doco- bleuurgh they make me feel a bit ill at the best of times, certainly would NOT like the sound of them popping under my wheels
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The french TV just showed a beautiful, very sober documentary about 9/11. I don't have the original title, but it shows, with a mix of archive images and "fiction" footage, what happened inside the towers. Survivors speak on camera of their experience during that terrible hour, their fear, their sense of failure in some cases. There is one particularly impressive shot of a man who just saw the plane coming at his office window. Incredibly he lived to tell the tale, was saved by another brave soul who helped him through the debris. And the falling persons are shown, but in a very restrained way, full of dignity. It's a BBC documentary, simple and yet at times almost funny, as when a group of firemen help an injured lady who slows them so much they get stuck in the tower when it collapses on them. Incredibly, this is the very thing that saves them, and the whole group survives. I'll try to get the name of that documentary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. The journey was amazing but, the desire to learn about the world was inspirational.

Anything Michael Moore.

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Documentaries Reply with quote

charlsy,

Quote:
when a group of firemen help an injured lady who slows them so much they get stuck in the tower when it collapses on them. Incredibly, this is the very thing that saves them, and the whole group survives.

There were two documentaries about the firemen here on Channel 4. One was by two French brothers who were doing a documentary about the firemen in New York when 9/11 happened and got caught up in it. The other was about these fourteen survivors called, 'The Miracle of Stairway B'. Both were very moving, human and there was no gung ho-ing in either which gave the basic humanity a great dignity. The lady, Joanne Harris actually told the firemen to leave her and save themselves. They wouldn't and as a result they all survived.

Many of them were describing how when they got to the scene they had to avoid both falling debris and 'jumpers'. The quiet way they were saying it showed how deeply the plight of the 'jumpers' had affected them. So very moving and upsetting, yet extremely sensitively done.
tannazie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these have already been mentioned, but:

- Mad Hot Ballroom
- Spellbound
- Word Play
- Latcho Drom
- Baraka

The first 3 are light, feel-good films with real emphasis on the 'characters'. The last 2 have no narration, but both tell beautiful stories with images and music.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannazie, my nephew introduced me to Baraka....exquisite images....have often thought how beautiful it would be if children could see it!...in this fast-paced world we, by and large, give them...
tannazie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed madame -- while i must admit I dozed off the first time I saw it (!!!), it would be stimulating on so many levels for little ones!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it could be played to help restless kiddy winkles sleep!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just veering slightly away from docos, but still on the topic of movies (so no getting Twisted Evil madame Very Happy )...

I've watched Local Hero about 6 times and have never seen the end. I doze off every time! It's a lovely movie and I really enjoy it every time I see it, just never make it to the end.

So there we go, instant remedies for insomnia - Local Hero and Baraka

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the "Local Hero" soundtrack..
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Simon Schama's series. When I was in the UK a few years back they were filming one of the episodes in the town we were in. I spent the whole time with my face sqeezed up against the crack in the construction fencing watching them!! Laughing My poor husband couldn't drag me away for anything. I was mesmerised. They had uncovered old graves while working on the construction of a new building. Wish I knew what had happened etc..

My fave is the prehistoric eras. That is my specialty (stone age cultures and tools), and I always watch anything that comes on tv here. Learning about European prehistory is fascinating and I am enjoying the comparison to Aboriginal history.

Have to watch anything with David Attenborough. Think I have seen everything that he has ever made. A few years ago we found out that he is the cousin of my best friend in Australia..... same surname, but I had never twigged that they could be related... Embarassed I just never assumed and you could have knocked em over with a feather when he told me (with absolute incredulity that I hadn't guessed... they do look very similar... Embarassed Laughing ). Oh well.

Must start looking up some of the other docos mentioned. I really enjoy a good doco.

Good topic!!!! Keep them coming! Very Happy
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Documentaries Reply with quote

Debs,

I loved the two Attenborough documentaries, Planet Earth and Blue Planet. The photography was stunningly beautiful but there were also supplementary documentaries on how the films were done. A lovely one on the Snow Leopard was fabulous... not just because the Snow Leopard is such a beautiful cat... honest!! The film-makers buried one camera which was discovered by a curious Leopard. You could see him fishing at it with a paw and then a sniffing nose close-up!

There was a lovely bit when the female called to a male that she was ready for him! She reclined in all her sexy Leopard glory and...meowed!! She had positioned herself where her meow could be heard over a wide area and behold a tom-Leopard heard her and realised his time had come!! ...and then there were cubs... very, very cute cubs!

Blue Planet was about the sea-life and was equally breathtaking. But no cats so I wasn't as interested... ahem! It was good tho'... and a bit scary when they dealt with the sharks!
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Documentaries Reply with quote

I always loved the docos at the Natural History Museum, especially Ring of Fire, about volcanoes. And I love anything about animals.

Michael Moore is fantastic.

Shoah was impossible to watch, but I did watch it and I'm glad I did, though I'll probably never see it again.

I loved the doco series, "Jazz" that was mentioned. Really well done and fascinating.

And planning on seeing "Supersize Me" any day now.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen Sound and Fury about the conflicting reactions to the coclear implant in deaf and hearing people? It's well done and surprisingly intense.

I've seen parts on a couple of occasions but I've never seen the first half hour.

Now, I understand there's a follow-up to it done 6 years later. I would love to see that one to see how some of the highly emotional decisions worked out.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey..haven't seen that one...the topic however took me way back to an article I read on eye operations...and those who go from minimal sight to more detailed..

How I remember reading of one who regretted the operation...would rather have stayed almost blind..the challenge of sight I guess..confronting to read...and so I tried to imagine HOW that would be...

The Worst Jobs in History only caught a wee bit of an episode...Roman-Anglo-Saxon jobs

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/roman.html#1

Dear Tony Robinson promised he would tackle the guillemot-egg collecting ~ which meant abseiling over a rather steep cliff...with helmet...and support...eggs already placed...he looked terrified..lost a shoe ....amazing footage..
highly recommended Wink

"This is definitely not a position for the faint-hearted. Guillemots are seabirds that nest in dense colonies on the tops of sea stacks and on extremely high cliff ledges. Because of their conical shape, guillemot eggs spin on the spot rather than rolling over the edge. Their coating of guano makes them even more secure. These eggs are your quarry.

Collecting guillemot eggs – a common practice in what is popularly known as the 'Dark Ages' – involves climbing over the edge of a cliff and making your way down to the precarious ledges where the nests are found. To assist you in this task, you will be provided with a rope fashioned from seal skin and a bucket.

As well as the obvious danger of falling from a great height into a raging sea and being crushed against jagged rocks, you also run a high risk of being attacked by guillemots who quite naturally want to keep their eggs from your clutches. Such bird assaults may result in cuts and bruises or, more seriously, in loss of contact between you and the cliff face.

The rewards of success in this task are not many. However, the protein provided by regularly eating guillemot eggs may make the difference between life and death for you and your family. The position is therefore only open to the desperate."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: