Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

fashion & film...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

ok now..here we go!

Chocolat! I needed to see it over and over again...because I found myself looking at the costumes. Such exquisite colours and fabrics and the shoes...and the embroidery...

I was searching for some photos and my daughter remembered somewhere coming across detailed snaps...and we came across a site where you can buy costumes used in particular films! The proceeds go to charities...oh, those Massaro red suede shoes....faintable!

An article from The New York Times: An Obsession with Perfection includes: "None of the ateliers was willing to disclose what they charge the fashion houses, although one, the shoemaker Massaro, where 40 hours are needed for a pair of shoes, says retail customers for its shoes pay a minimum $3000. "But that's for two feet," said Raymond Massaro, 76, the founder's grandson.

Such is the power of the designs ..for me..that I could easily sit and watch the film without sound...the red...

"What other films has this costume designer worked on?"..wondered I.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0435730/

So, dear fashion/film folk...post away! I'm so curious as to what designs have gone to your fashion souls Wink ..for whatever reasons..
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the fact that it is a story of a humble monk, "Kundun" has the most dazzling costumes. I also love the costumes in "Sense and Sensibility". Elinor's dress for the ball was magnificent.

For clothes I would wear tomorrow, were it in the budget, Anne Hathaway's wardrobe in "The Devil Wears Prada" is hands down my favorite. Also Audrey Hepburn's clothes in "Breakfast At Tiffanny's".

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

I just finished watching Kubrick's 'Barry Lyndon' full of amazing late 18th century costume and that was gorgeous to watch. Tho' I did find myself wanting several coats, waistcoats and boots.. 'hem, 'hem. Something I also did watching a French film on the life of Moliere in the late 1980s as well as Cyrano de Bergerac. Christian de Neuvillette's grey costume and Cyrano's red Spanish cloak were fabulous.

The costume in 'House of the Flying Daggers' was stunning, contributing to the overall jaw-dropping colour-drenched sumptuousness in every frame.

The BBC have done 'Bleak House', 'Pride & Prejudice' and 'Wives & Daughters' this century (!!) and the costumes for those have been lovely to look at.

Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face had a fabulous wardrobe too... and in My Fair Lady.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, "House Of Flying Daggers" had magnificent costumes. That also reminds me of "Hero", the use of color was breathtaking.

"It's hot ham water."
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the costumes in period pieces like Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Dangerous Liaisons, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc. but my absolute favorite wardrobe was Audrey Hepburn's in Funny Face.

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am singing the praises of "Elizabeth 1"...

http://www.hbo.com/films/elizabeth/index.html

the photo bottom left...the costume designer said she was dressed 'as England'...how stunning a comment..

this is quite a ravishing webpage..

"Well England, the Queen is all yours."...what a line!

Am wondering if, in say 20 or so years, this production will have 2006 stamped all over it. It looks so fresh now...however films do date in appearance. My daughter says it's because film making techniques improve over time...

these costumes are simply exquisite...a joy and a feast for the eyes..
'n Mirren glows! superb is all I can say..

The dress she's wearing when she signs Mary's death warrant...the ruff! I'm a ruff gal from way way way back...the elegance of the dress...'n Mirren leaning against the windowsill...
what a treat to be around at this time...the wonder of her craft!

creme de la creme methinks...

see this see this!
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

Helen Mirren is pretty scary. She's gone from one Elizabeth to the other one!!! All without assassination too! That was an amazing production. I watched both and she astonished the living Snodgrass outta me. She goes from purring sex kitten to raging tigress in 0-5 seconds. Definitely worth a look that was....from a distance... behind bars... while hiding behind a sofa. Helen Mirren... even scarier than a Dalek!!! Shocked

The ruff went from the stand up form in the 16th century to the looser one of the 17th. The characters in paintings by people like Frans Hals have the looser collar. They wore lace to show how rich they were. 17th century bling as it were. A portrait by Van Dyck of the Killigrew brothers shows lace 'collars' at the tops of their boots - they were THAT rich!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin ~ be so brave today...face Helen Mirren! do NOT turn away in fear....she is your challenge of the day Wink

breath-taking acting methinks...

watching her in Liz 1, it felt like the whole river was a flowing through her...no doors or windows shut to anything....

the white make-upped face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'n that collar thing like some magestic white butterfly attached to her neck...dvd for sure...to again gaze in wonder.

'n the joy of her teeth...no Miss Universe perfection here thank you very much...
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

Madame,
Mirren has also played as a police chief here in the UK and there's one more programme around her character coming up apparently. The programmes were called 'Prime Suspect' and she was again magisterial in it. You're right too, her acting is seamless and flowing. Definitely one of our best actresses and not a supermodel-looker, but a handsome passionate woman. ...sigh!

She is good, but she showed in Liz 1 how the queen was both human and could be cruel as well as kind. At the same time, her sense of duty was in evidence at the scene before the troops went to fight the Armada. Jeremy Irons was extremely good too. But when Mirren gets tough, then even Daleks would hide just in case she had the lot of them... ex-ter-minat-ed!
So I am staying put behind the sofa and hoping she hasn't noticed me!

The other wonderful portrayal of Liz 1 was by Miranda Richardson in the historical sitcom, Blackadder. There were four of them set in various periods of history, tho' they didn't do Victorian England. The second one was set at Liz's court and was very good.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Griffen..Blackadder..."The king is probably dead."...our family loves it...we laughed so much at that scene...can remember our daughter having a shower...and there from the bathroom came peals of laughter..then, "The king is ...probably dead."...it's the timing ..the knock ya socks off timing...

Did you know Mike O'Neill did the costumes for Elizabeth 1..AND Prime Suspect?...

AND North and South...

Now Griffen, you'll simply HAVE to get over this Ms Mirren fear thing...otherwise I'll arrange to get her from the screen..and really truly visit you...then my dear pal you'll have something to worry about!...so get thee from behind the sofa...and face her square on!

go on...even if ya have to pour yourself a drink beforehand.. Wink

Love the fact she has a face..a face that can move...a face full of expression....not bloody ironed flat and featureless...
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

Quote:
Now Griffen, you'll simply HAVE to get over this Ms Mirren fear thing...otherwise I'll arrange to get her from the screen..and really truly visit you...then my dear pal you'll have something to worry about!...so get thee from behind the sofa...and face her square on!

go on...even if ya have to pour yourself a drink beforehand.

Oh well, if I have to have a drink first...! I'll take a bottle of champagne with me... then if she sees me, she'll purr and reach for the champers... at which I can get her drunk and therefore unable to er, bite me!!!

My favourite Blackadder quote is Elizabeth 1: 'I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman... but I've got the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant! First I'm going to have a little drinkie... and then I'm going to execute the whole bally lot of you.'

There was the bit in that same episode where Blackadder is trying to have a dinner with his extremely puritan aunt and uncle. Suddenly a friend who is getting drunk in another room rushes in and says, 'Great Booze up Edmund!' before rushing out again.
His aunt looks at Blackadder pointedly and asks what was meant. Blackadder thinks for a while before smiling and telling them,
'Ah yes. Well it's like this... we have a South Sea Island chief staying with us at the moment, and er, he wasn't feeling well. But as you just heard, he's a lot better, because Great Boo's up!'

A fabulous excuse and students throughout the land wrote it down just in case!!!

I didn't know Mike O'Neill did the costumes, but it doesn't surprise me. The costumes in all our costume dramas are often beautifully done. Trouble is... I keep having to wait for them to come around again because I'm busy looking at the costume and wishing I had a certain pair of boots, a coat, a cloak...sigh!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falling in love with boots..yep! have done that...

a Russian dance troupe was in Sydney when I was a teenager ~ for me, at the time, prohibitively expensive tickets I recall...however I'd seen the ads ~ the jumpinginness of youth...I wrote to the theatre ...a note asking where they got their red boots...soooooooooooooooooooooooo soft they appeared. I guess I simply wanted some connection to those boots Wink Never got a reply...ah well..they must have thought I was off my tree

still have a thing for soft red leather boots...swoon

have also fallen in love with a particular part of a painting in the gallery in Melbourne...lace, again lace..over and over again ....lace..see, even the word itself is there to love

Griffin, am going to send your post to my daughter...your spirits will link instantly...the Blackadder aspects of your souls for sure Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a lovely meeting...

Margaret Pomeranz is an absolute darling! She has a weekly half-hour programme on movies...passionate doesn't even come close..

thought you might enjoy this:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archives/rocco_bloggo/006245.html

(love the way the skirt became the shirt!)
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: fashion & film... Reply with quote

Oh Madame,

... red boots...sigh! I have a pair of ankle boots in burgundy velvet with pointed toes and a two inch heel. They are part of my collection... tho' I have worn them... I had to, they tempted me!! Wink

As I am (slowly) building a contemporary costume collection, I have the onerous task of having to buy stuff! It's tough being unemployed, but a little saving here and there will do it. I have two dresses and er, about ten pairs of shoes. Which I admit is nothing compared to a shoe shop owner I knew who owned over 250 pairs. Even I'm not that good.

The woodcarver, Grinling Gibbons did a lace cravat out of lime wood. It's like all his work, exquisite and stunning. There was an exhibition of his work at the V&A in London a few years back... which I missed, dahgunnit!

My mum's catchphrase used to be, 'I have a cunning plan!' which always led to the usual comments, like, 'Yes Baldrick, your record in the cunning plan department isn't exactly brilliant is it?'

Love his other comment to Balders too, 'With you Baldrick, the Renaissance was something that happened to other people, wasn't it?'
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching last night the movie "Roman Holiday" with Peck and Audrey Hepburn. The costume designer was a woman famous in Hollywood for over three decades named, Edith Hunt, or Edith Hsomething.

She also did the costumes for "White Christmas", "To Catch a Thief", and other great films. I think she won eight Academy Awards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: